“Our Favorite Hotel on Malta”

The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mdina
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just returned from an 8 day stay on Malta. During this time we stayed at 3 different properties on various parts of the island--just to get a bit more variety and overview of the country during our stay. Xara Palace was our favorite of the three properties...and all three were in the top 10 of Trip Advisor recommendations. It was the highlight of our trip in many ways.
After staying in a more populated area of Malta, it was so nice to get to experience the bit of countryside and green space which surrounds Mdina. It was relaxing to the eye. Our room was room #15 which was a luxury suite with jacuzzi. It is situated on the city wall itself, so that was pretty spectacular in the base case. (The whole hotel is built into the city wall, but our room's jacuzzi area was actually right on the outer wall).
Arrival: We decided against taking the city bus service to Mdina, opting for a taxi. That was a bit more money, but we were very glad that we made that decision because the driver was able to take his car right into the city gate and meander through the small streets in order to drop us right at the hotel doorstep. If we had arrived by bus we would have had a small walk with our suitcases...that would have been acceptable...but I would have been a bit lost finding the hotel itself on foot for the very first time. I'm not too good with maps or directions (although my husband is).
The taxi driver unloaded all of our suitcases and brought them into the reception area for us. Very easy!
We arrived extremely early, and had not warned the hotel of this arrival time prior to showing our smiling faces at the reception desk. (We did not have a phone on Malta, so we just took our chances arriving early --10am!-- and hoping they would be able to store our luggage for us while we enjoyed walking around Mdina). The hotel was happy to oblige...no problem whatsoever. They also offered us a welcome drink and a very tasty nut mix. Not sure what nuts were in there, but it was very delicious and really hit the spot since we had arrived just prior to the lunch hour and were a bit hungry.
After relaxing in the beautiful reception area, enjoying our Kinnie drink and the nuts, freshening up a bit, and taking photos of the gorgeous atrium area, we ventured out to see Mdina.
We returned about 2pm and the room was ready for us, even though we were still arriving prior to check-in time.
The reception staff had already deposited our luggage in our room for us. That was so very nice. The employee led us up to room #15. It was exquisite. We had a little gate at the entry area to our room....a small feature but it really was neat because it made us feel l as if we were entering our own little "home" there in Mdina. There were a couple stairs after the gate and then the most exquisite door that we had ever seen. It was an old door and there were 3 different ways to use the windows on that door...to let the air in or to close things up completely. My husband loves old architecture and spent several minutes just playing with the door and it's features.
The room itself was very spacious...featuring a sitting area, entertainment station, and the bedroom area itself. The bathroom was marble, very spacious, and had a window which opened up to the inside of the city, albeit very high up without a view. Still, we opened the shutters and let the light pour into the bathroom....very nice.
Closet space was very large...two closets to hang things in/store luggage/etc.
I will mention that it was evident that there had been a leak or rain damage recently. I know this because I am very allergic to mold and could tell there was a mold situation that had occurred and was being rectified. I did not "ding" the review score for this....I feel that things occur like this in every home and every building and although I am allergic, I was not adversely affected by the mold because they hotel had installed a dehumidifier and several air purifiers and honestly, as long as I just used the other closet I was totally fine. I think this is a temporary problem, and that perhaps in a week or less all evidence of this problem will be gone. That is my experience in my own home with such problems. Since it is a temporary problem, I did not feel I should "ding" the hotel score for a full "dot". If I could have given the review a 4.5, I would have done that instead, but since I had the option of giving a 4 or 5 I still opt for 5.
The hotel provided a place to play our ipads, had great security, wonderful service, no theft problems, came and delivered ice promptly when we requested it, watched our luggage, welcomed us kindly and greeted us by name each time we came and went, set up our jacuzzi for us by turning on the heat and getting it ready for us each evening without our even asking, and were generally just very friendly and welcoming.
There were many people who gathered at the hotel each evening in order to enjoy the restaurant. We did not eat there, so cannot rate the food. What I will mention, however, is that our room was extremely private and even though we came and went from the jacuzzi each evening in our robes and swimwear, we had complete privacy inside the jacuzzi and it was as if no one was even remotely nearby. The only time we were sure to cover up was during a 2 second interval walking past to the stairs.
The jacuzzi itself is raised up on a platform and there are two very comfortable lounge chairs outside near it. There is a raised section where you can place one of the lounge chairs if you want to be a bit higher than where it normally sits.
The jacuzzi had lights...we made it blue...and the view from the jacuzzi was out of this world. We could lay there and see the stars, the countryside just beyond the wall, and even the cathedral steeple with bell. We were outside during our second afternoon and I cannot tell you how beautiful the day was and laying in the jacuzzi listening to the church bells ring was just so amazing. We felt truly blessed.
We had wine out at the jacuzzi and there are little spaces on the corners of the jacuzzi where your wine glass fits perfectly.
We hated to leave this wonderful place.
When my husband got home and was paying all the hotel bills, he said that although this place was the most expensive one we stayed at, that it would have been worth staying there at twice the price....he loved it there so much.
Comfortable bed too....! I almost forgot to mention that! :)
Thank you Xara Palace for making our stay within the walled city of Mdina a wonderful experience. We hope to visit again some day!

Room Tip: Room 15 was amazing. The view from the jacuzzi is outstanding and very private too. Just check to...
1  Thank FlyMeToKathmandu

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed one week at this hotel. Very good situation for visiting malta. A lot of potential the lobby btw has been sponsored by the european development fund (living in brussels i thank the European Commission),not the rooms. This hotel is a relais and chateaux member, should it be? Humidity marks, (Malta is very humid) carpets full of spots everything needs an update.
We did eat at the trattoria: basic good brasserie food and twice at the restaurant. We find it a very international cuisine, the chef/brigade knows its job.
Very friendly and extreme polite rooms and restaurant/catering staff. We stayed in a deluxe room and a suite. The bathrooms and plumbering need to be actualized, the carpets and furniture to be cleaned. The beds are very comfortable.
At our last night we loved the piano music due to a marriage in the aula/lobby, the disco (boom boom boom) later that night reminded me of my going out during my younger years :)
We advice the owners to invest in the rooms, the facility of the restaurant en to train the staff. Why not send the key persons to a real relais et chateaux like the hostellerie de levernois, Beaune, France. The potential is there but is not utilized.

4  Thank FrankDB
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We called for a late, light lunch and drink on Easter Sunday and whilst I appreciate that the staff/restaurant will all of had a very busy lunch service, we were left very disappointed by our visit here. We sat in the courtyard, were given menus, made our choice then were told on ordering that the "grill" was closed and no sandwiches could be ordered. Ok, but why didn't someone tell us that when they gave us the menus. Having made another choice we ordered our drinks, one of which was coffee with hot milk on the side. Coffee arrived very tepid and with cold milk. My meal arrived, and it wasn't what I ordered, but by this point I'd really had enough of being ignored, poor service and indifference. A beautiful setting with stunning views, but not a good experience for me.

3  Thank alibram
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

If you can get past the pain of the check-in (park outside and walk in first - don't pay the parking trolls (the parking is free) - the hotel will send someone to help with your bags).

This is a lovely hotel that enables you to experience the magic of Mdina after the crowds have gone. The hotel itself maintains the historic feed and atmosphere of the town. Oh, and the staff are very helpful so don't hesitate to ask their advice. Oh and one thing.. The rooms vary a lot.. Some are quite dark.. My favourites are 15-18..

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Maltese have an expression for when a meal leaves you hungry. We say "that barely made it round my belly button". And so it was with the three salads we ordered tonight at Xara Palace's restaurant. For the price, it's reasonable to expect a larger portion of both the avocado and the salmon salads. A place of this calibre should also serve individual orders of tea in individual teapots; most similar calibre restaurants elsewhere use standard white ceramic teapots. Worth considering for a decent cuppa! On the upside, the wait staff were very sweet and the tiny bit of salmon was cooked to the requested perfection.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NannaCar
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Xara Palace. This was our first time to Malta and I chose the Xara Palace mainly because it was a member of the Relais and Chateax group. After three wonderful days in Malta I can look back on our trip and realize that it was the perfect place in the perfect location.

Getting to the hotel was a bit of a hassle. We rented a car at the airport and I found that driving from the right-hand side of the car, on the left-hand side of the road was a bit of a challenge, but far from impossible. We used Google maps on my smart phone to direct us to Mdina and we only got on the wrong road one time. We arrived at Mdina and I did not know if I should enter the walled town or not. We sat outside the wall and finally decided to try driving right to the hotel. Five minutes later we arrived at the hotel, dropped off our bags and drove outside the wall to a parking place (which is what we should have done right off).

The old hotel is amazing. It has charm and character and we enjoyed our large room (#8). The linens, towels, and appointments were all first rate. The staff was terrific, they were super helpful with things to do, restaurant reservations and any other questions that we had. They had a sense of humor and made us feel right at home. The hotel staff was as fine as we have ever encountered

The only downside to the hotel was our dinner there. No dinner should last over three hours. We waited over an hour between our appetizer and main course. The food was good but the poor service was unforgivable in a supposedly fine restaurant. The breakfast was very good, but that too suffered from poor and slow service. As good as the hotel service was, the restaurant proved to be the opposite. (the reason for the lower service rating).

If we ever return to Malta, we would definitely stay at the Xara Palace and we would definitely recommend it to our friends and family ....

1  Thank ase1707
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We thought the fabled Xara Palace was worth a visit because of its reputation and had a memorable dinner in the de Mondian restaurant (excellent charolais fillet) but beware - the wine list is not for the faint hearted and very overpriced - so take plenty of spondoolicks with you. Wonderful views as well but very windy - an excellent posting for the WW2 Brits when they were watching the Luftwaffe and I fully expected Biggles to come through the front door!
Unprepossessing entrance.

Slightly disappointed with the decor/ambience which had an air of faded splendour about it and our bedroom was large, almost barn like but very comfortable. Excellent service - but so it should be at this price! Relais and Chateaux books piled up everywhere just in case you hadn't got the message.

Trattoria good value but watch out for smokers when sitting outside.

Room Tip: Mdina much quieter in the early morning and early evening once a lot of the tourists have gone home...
1  Thank Stephen F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mdina
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux? Share your experiences!