There are many, many wonderful things to say about this place. It is in a beautiful, historic building built into the city walls. Our room, #8, had a beautiful, large bedroom with separate sitting area, lovingly decorated with antiques. The view from the living area was over the interior atrium (where we watched a small wedding happen on our second day!); the view from the bedroom and bathroom was of the surrounding countryside. Lovely. As a result, the sleeping area had a lot of natural light; the sitting area was considerably darker because of the interior "view." The welcome was friendly and we got helpful service throughout our stay. And the pool, at the nearby Xara Lodge, was a wonderful respite from the summer heat (and staff person at the pool bar was wonderful!) Mdina, with its yellow limestone buildings, is absolutely gorgeous, and particularly so around sunset (when the buildings turn a lovely, golden yello) and at night, when if you squinted and didn't pay attention to what people are wearing, you could be fooled into thinking it's 500 years ago. The gourmet restaurant was delicious, and located at the rooftop level (also where breakfast was served) - great view of the countryside. Janicke deserves special mention for her friendly and professional service the night we were there.
So why not 5 stars? We had a few blips. We booked a 4-night package which came with free airport transfers. Yet when we arrived at the airport, our ride was nowhere to be found. After wandering around for awhile, we realized our ride was not coming so we took a taxi to the hotel. When we checked in and I told the staff person at reception what had happened, she asked me why we took a taxi. I told her there was no one there to meet us. She seemed perplexed and took both my reservation (which clearly stated we would be met at the airport) and my receipt for the taxi, and promised we would be reimbursed. However, she made no record of it, so on our last day, we had to go through the exercise again with the staff person who was on that morning. We ultimately had our taxi fare refunded, but it shouldn't have been such a production. That said, once we got our initial frustrations out of the way, we were welcomed with Kinnies and nuts, and our room was cleaned and made ready for us quickly, despite our very early arrival. Much appreciated. Another minus -- and as noted in some other reviews, the room is a bit musty/mildew-y. It didn't make much of a difference to our enjoyment of the room, but does keep it from being "perfect." One thing to keep in mind (and this doesn't have much to do with the hotel, but rather with Mdina itself) is that if you are going to travel to some of the more outlying archaeological ruins, bus transport is not easy and you may want to consider hiring a car for a day or half a day. It's expensive but makes it a whole lot easier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux has 17 Rooms and Suites, all vary in size and style. Some of the Suites have Jacuzzis on their private terrace with spectacular views of the island. The Duplex rooms and Suites offer split level accommodation with the lounge area and private facilities on one level and bedroom services on the other level of the Room or Suite. Outdoor pool is available in an alternative location and shuttle service is provided. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Odigeo, TravelUp, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Xara Palace Relais And Chateaux
- The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux Hotel Mdina
- The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux Malta/Mdina