“Size isn't everything - and oh the noise!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocca Nettuno suites

Rocca Nettuno suites
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
London, United Kingdom
“Size isn't everything - and oh the noise!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Yes, the apartment was a good size but in spite of it being fairly well furnished it had a slightly empty, spartan, dark feel. Lack of carpets and wall furnishings throughout the whole building meant it had a very echoey, empty sound.

The very worst aspect was the continuous scraping of the furniture across the floor tiles in the apartment above, often going on late into the night. It nearly drove us to distraction lying in bed at night waiting for the next clunk. The noise on our ceiling was never absent for very long. When the occupants went out each morning the maids then started, pushing and dragging furniture around. The addition of some rubber shields to the legs of the furniture would make a huge difference to the peace and quiet and enjoyment of the rooms. Strangely enough, even though there was a family with 2 young children above us, the sound of chatting and the baby crying was not too intrusive, just the awful furniture noise - so this problem is worth remedying. The hotel in general seemed fairly low key when we were there, but I don't think, personally, I'd like to be there when families were on holiday, as the noise generated could be an issue.

As one other reviewer said, for every plus there was a minus in these apartments.

Plus: location, 1 block behind the front, in a quiet street with a local feel.
Close to supermarkets.
Casual easy atmosphere if a sightseeing, non-dressing-up type holiday required.
Front desk staff (except for 1) were polite, friendly and helpful. (That one could be off-hand and unsmiling).
Decor, if a bit plain, was still fresh, in good repair and not worn looking.
A safe fitted in each room.
Heavy curtains with black-out lining. Also voile curtains fitted for privacy from building opposite.
Fridge freezer/microwave/kettle were handy. No teapot provided.
Maids did a fairly good job (better on the days when I happened to be in the room while they were doing it!). They were obliging if you needed anything.
Roof top pool area nice and relaxing. Sun beds very comfortable. (Pool only a plunge type pool - 1m deep). Very few people up there when we used it, but probably could be a bit noisy if families with children were using it as it's a fairly confined area and bed have to be side by side.

Minus: The buildings opposite - on all sides- are very close, you're looking into each others windows. Not much sun gets through to the apartments, at the front virtually none, and at the back not much better for at least half of the apartments. The new building being constructed opposite has obliterated almost any view and ongoing work can be noisy, often starting early in the morning. It's a shame the roof top pool has also lost half of it's view due to the new building. One has to sympathise with the owners on this front.

Beds had a cheap, firm feel, and sheets that were too small. No mattress covers. Large stain on one mattress. Even though I'm not a restless sleeper, I found when I woke each morning I was sleeping on a bare mattress - hardly hygienic or 4 star!

The air conditioning worked well but was too noisy to leave on at night. There was a notice asking people to make sure the doors were completely closed before using the air conditioning - understandable - however the good work was undone by each room having a grill-covered ventilation hole straight through the outside, which couldn't be closed off. The result was that, even if you got the room really cool, it was hot again 5-10 minutes after turning off the air conditioning as the cool air escaped through the hole! Buildings exude heat and I found I was uncomfortably hot at night, even in October.

Internet connection quite weak, kept coming and going.

Food was a strange hit & miss affair. Some food (veg & salads) looked and tasted old and wilted, other dishes, freshly cooked, were very good! Breakfast very unappetising on the day I checked it out. Even though I was very hungry on the 1st morning, I went back upstairs and did my own after looking at the food(and I'm not very fussy). The evening buffet (€12) was good value and most of the food was ok'ish - vegetables/salads just looked and tasted a bit 'old'. However all the staff involved in the food area were very nice and obliging and service was very good. Nothing too much trouble.

In my opinion, these apartments are 3 star by normal standards.
Their website says they have 'state of the art' sound equipment installed. The only equipment there is a TV which didn't offer a facility on the hand control unit to adjust the sound setting (which I found a bit muffled). I didn't want to increase the volume, just the crispness. As mentioned in other reviews, only having 1 English TV channel (BBC World News) became very boring!

It also says the apartments are 'well lit'. The lighting is SO dull and yellow (due to energy saving bulbs and really low ones at that) that I bought a batch of cheap, ordinary bulbs at the supermarket so I could read in bed and see the cooking area!

These apartments are ok in many ways, just consider carefully if they meet your requirements before booking. Luxury they are not - on any front! I am sensitive to noise at night and this was the biggest issue for me.

Room Tip: The only suites that would avoid the noise of furniture would be the top floor but there are limited...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sibby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Had a truly great stay in this hotel. Rooms are huge with a balcony, all equipped with full size fridge, microwave and toaster. Really great with the pool on top.
Located in walking distance to everything. I definately recommend to buy a 7 day pass for the bus which will take you all over the island.
Staff was very friendly, expecially Kurt, Stuart and Rita who really made our stay complete.
Huge thanks to you all.
I would definately choose this hotel again should I return to Malta.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Janne Z
Whitehorse, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We booked this hotel last minute through Air Malta and were totally surprised when we arrived to find a huge apartment like suite with two rooms and a deck. Each room was larger than what you would expect from a standard size double hotel room. It seems the whole hotel had just been renovated and everything in the room was brand new and clean. Some of the negatives include: It is true that there are dishes for use but no sink to rinse them in (except the bathroom). We left any dishes out for house keeping to take away and they were replenished. Also our shower door was not properly put in place and so water poured on to the floor whenever we had a wash. By our final day they finally did the repair. One day house keeping took all of our towels and did not replace them. We had to take them off the cart after a few days. Overall we found these things to be very minor and did not affect our stay or vacation in any way. We are a couple and very easy going travelers and could not be bothered to be concerned with little details. We stayed at the hotel for 8 days and overall we found the suites very comfortable and the front desk staff were friendly with us. The hotel is one block up from the promenade, 2 minutes from the ferry to Valletta, and close to all amenities.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adrienne M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

good located, spacious rooms, nice lounge (living room) beautifully decorated, colourful, high class for me, we booked it on a portal, really good place to stay, fair price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nick C
malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

This place is pretty standard although it advertises itself as providing luxury suites for its guests. In fact in certain aspects it is not even up to standard. One thing which springs to mind is the flat screen tv which is some 42" wide but which was disappointing in that one can only view some 6 channels, most of them in german, just one in english. Another is the fact that although we requested a double bed and were told that it was not going to be a problem (single beds could be zipped up to create doubles) we still found 2 single beds (with single bed linen)pushed together when we went up to the room. I was even denied extra towels just because I asked for them during the evening. Apparently towels are locked up for the night and no spare ones are available after housekeeping leaves the hotel.

On our last day there I was incredulous when,after having waited for about 30mins for the staff to stop fiddling with the pool, I was asked (at about 11am on a scorching August Maltese morning) not to to use the pool for about an hour as chlorine had just been put in it. Couldn't this have been done during the night?

On the other hand the room was clean and spacious. The location was excellent: in a quiet place in Sliema while only being a couple of minutes walk from the main shopping area.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maria m
Hemel Hempstead
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights after staying in a 5* hotel. Cost us 110 Euro B&B per night where the 5* in St Julians was only marginally more @ 126 Euro but I was there for work and chose to leave there and get away from "work".

The room was HUGE there is no doubt about that. Bedroom and sitting/diner area. It promised so much yet delivered SO little. So many contradictions. For every good thing there was at least one down side.

There is an outside area (patio on 1st floor/balconies on the others) but there is no seating. I made it clear in my booking that I was happy with a non-smoking room (prefer it) as long as there is a balcony/outside space. I asked at reception about this and was told they had no seating for the outside spaces. Just a simple little thing they can do to make guests comfortable I think.

Nice shiney bathroom but you would cut yourself shaving the lighting was so awful.

Television stunning, yet unless you wanted to watch the news (and only speak English) there was nothing else to watch.

Microwave, kettle, toaster but washing your plates in the bathroom sink and having no tea towel to dry them on or somewhere to put them was problematic so I didn't bother.

Lovely little cleaning lady but I think (to be perfectly serious) her eyesight (or perhaps the lack of lighting) makes it difficult to see where needs to be cleaned. There is building going on in the area but that means they should just clean more not just accept it is dirty. The dirt didn't get cleaned the whole time we were there.

Reception staff vary from ok to down right unhelpful. We noticed water on the floor one evening when we went out and informed them. 3+ hours later when we returned the water was still there. He informed me he would get someone to clean it up. I suggested that he might get someone to find out where it was coming from as it was coming from a cupboard and for all I knew it could be coming from the room above. It was only then he seemed more animated. The cleaner was sent with an armful of towels which he placed under the leaking immersion tank which he thought was sufficient. It was only when we suggested he place a bucket under it he did so. The 5 litre bucket was filled to overflowing in the morning if that gives you an idea of the speed/extent of the "drip".

We asked the receptionist if we could have a later checkout as our flight was slightly later and were told immediately "no". I asked if he really couldn't do it? He then said perhaps if the room wasn't booked he might do it for a surcharge. It was at this point, largely in response to his "attitude", I asked what I should charge for my goodwill regarding the dirty room? I showed him the picture... and walked off. You know when you get the feeling no matter what you say or do somebody is just so unhelpful you're on a minding to nothing?

Our first breakfast was admittedly later in the session. 10am, but they do serve until 1030. The fried egg had been sitting so long it had plasticised. Seriously, could have been used as a mini frisbie! The croissants were inedible and would have broken your teeth if you had tried to bite into them. The hash browns were flash fried, soggy and the inside was just raw potato tasted. This didn't improve much over the next few days no matter the time.

The pool is great. I liked it. But it is not particularly big and really more of a dip pool (max depth one metre) but in the July heat perfect to dip in and out of to cool down. Make sure you take beach towels with you. There is no pool towels supplied which I think should have been (especially in a 4*).

It IS brilliantly placed in the middle of everything and yet away from noise but that is it's only really positive point. I don't go away to "live" in a hotel room but (especially when I pay 110 Euros per day) I don't wish to feel the need to go out and just treat it as a place where I sleep because to do otherwise is uncomfortable.

Will I go back? No. With all the others in the area I will try somewhere else. I don't think it was good value for money. Such a shame because the accommodation promises so much... the customer care and general service (which could be easily remedied) wastes the whole thing completely.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank kissitbetta
Ancona, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

I went to Malta for the first time. I checked several sites, among them Tripadvisor. Some hotels i initially chose didn't have any availability. Finally I found one room in Rocca Nettuno. I could not believe. The hotel is quite new and clean and it is so cheap compared to many others in the same location, in the earth of Sliema. The breakfast is in line with the best four stars standards but what is really notable is the size of the suite. Around 70 sq m at the price of a single room. Very clean, comfortable (tv, fridge, microwave, sofas etc..) and with sea view. The hotel is not big and is located in an old building close to the Strand. The personnel are friendly and nice and, even if sometime you have to repeat your requests twice (you are in Malta!) at the end they do what you asked. There is not gym,spa or pool but i think there is no better place to stay in Malta unless you don't want to spend a lot.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business