“Great Food”
Review of Hotel Fortina

Hotel Fortina
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We were a party of six. My parents,husband, my two teenage children and myself. We arrived at the hotel at 11.00 a.m and were checked in very quickly. Our rooms were not ready untill 2.00 so we put our suitcases in the luggage room by reception and was directed to the outside bar area were we could get a drink while waiting for our lunch. We stayed on an all-inclusive basis, on a dine around option which meant you could eat in any of five restaurants at the hotel. We tried the italian restaurant once, which was great if you liked pizza, but every other mealtime both at lunch and dinner we ate in the valletta restaurant because the food was so nice there. There was plenty of choice with salads, beautiful fish (I never found a bone once) very lean meat beef, lamb, peppered steak, pork loins mexican fajitas, a choice of potatoes, rice, vegetables the desserts were great lemon meringue, chocalate cake fruit tarts, fruit crumble cheesecakes ice cream, gateaux, and jelly .my parents room had a great view over to valletta and harbour my room was facing the garden which was still nice. The hotel is in a great location for those wanting to explore malta with the ferry and bus stops a short walk away. The hotel itself is very clean with helpful staff the only thing that lets this hotel down is the lack of enterainment. it is non-existent. everynight it was just music being played from a lap top. One night there was a duo singing and that was it. There was nothing for my teenage children at all. The alcoholic drinks were all mostly branded real bailys, jack daniels whisky, morgans rum, stella lager and lowenbrau. there was a great choice of cocktails and your usual choice of soft drinks tea coffee and hot chocolates all on the all inclusive. The snacks of a day were not included these had to be bought but the food in the valletta buffet restaurant was that good you never missed them. We used the bus service a lot. 2.euros 60 cent took you all round the island all day . The local buses have now been taken over by arriva and we had no problems at all finding our way around. Dont go to the sunday market in floriana its rubbish there is not much there. My dad and husband went to a lot of museums on the island and really enjoyed them. We had a great holiday and would return to malta the local people are really friendly but we were disapointed about the lack of entertainment at the hotel which was a real shame because everything else about the fortina was great.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank lucyk98
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Dear lucyk98,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on this website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your holiday here in Malta and at the Hotel Fortina.

Please be assured that all your comments have been passed onto all those concerned. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Just returned from the Fortina in Sliema, there are two parts to the hotel a 4* and a 5*, we stayed in the 4* on a HB basis, The 4* has 7 floors and the 5* 18 floors some of which are time share, there is a buffet breakfast and dinner resturant and various themed resurants ie chinese, thai, indian, mediterranian and italian, we tried most of them but found the buffet resturant to be the best with a good selection of food and always piping hot, there are numerous different types of rooms from standard to full blown jacuzzi bath suites, with garden view or sea view, personally i recommend the sea view as the view of Valetta is unforgetable, all of the staff were falling over themselves to help out nothing was too much bother (they love the English) the only things that let the hotel down was the lack of evening entertainment and the high price of drinks in the bars and resturants, Thomas our Thomas cook rep was also excellent and always available to help.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gazza112_211

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Hotel Fortina. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again in the near future. Please be assured that all your comments have been passed onto all those concerned.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

My husband and I returned to the fortina 4* recently. This is our 4th stay at this hotel. We always book all inclusive and always book the same weeks as we celebrate our wedding anniversary whilst there.
On arrival we were given our room which was very disappointing to say the least. It was directly opposite the lifts and in desperate need of refurbishment. Having stayed before I knew there were far superior rooms therefore went to reception to ask to move rooms. The girls on the desk could not help more ( ?Nathalie) and after several more room offers we paid to upgrade to the 5* towers. This room was outstanding on the 15th floor with amazing views of Valletta and sliema. The room was contemporary in design and a wellness rejuvenation room. (massive bed as well) we were very pleased.
Although we upgraded to the5* we were not upgraded to 5* amenities. Therefore although we were all inclusive we were still charged for having 2 bottles of water from the mini bar!!!! There was also a charge for laundry on our bill for a pr of pyjamas ( my husband did not take pyjamas!!!!)so please check your final bill...
The food nice again was fabulous only having one poor meal at the Italian ( incredibly salty) maybe that's down to personal taste.
The pool bar staff were great again and should be commended on the long hours they work.
I would challenge anyone to not appreciate the fabulous view from this hotel and it's perfect position particularly the lido. I wish I could lay on a sun lounger every day and look at that view but work calls !!!!!
Malta itself is developing year by year with lots of large building developments and transport changes (notably arriva buses). We found the new buses very accessible although there have been sone teething problems.
Overall another great holiday however, I would like to give my personal point of view to the management of this hotel ... And I know my opinion doesn't matter but I want to state my incredible disappointment at the ceasing of the all inclusive package at this hotel. I have read comments from the management that thus option was being abused. Believe you me, I have been to some 24 hour all inclusive hotels where there is obvious abuse. The clientele at this hotel do not appear to abuse the all inclusive package. Food is not available 24/7 neither is alcohol and I have never in all my stays seen any drunk guests. I personally would not like put my extras on a bill to pay at the end of my stay as I would be forever writing down what I have so that I can check it against the final bill. ( it would be difficult to dispute any mistakes!!!)
If I was to return I would also like to see the half board option significantly reflected in the price.
I am disappointed about this and do hope that it works for the hotel but the loss of this will significantly influence whether I return....

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Rammy3

Dear Rammy3,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Fortina on this website. We are happy to learn that despite some difficulties regarding the room you booking into, you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would like to point out that the All Inclusive option has been put on hold for the time being. This is a management decision and has been made based on demand, as well as abuse.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by a laundry bill being charged to your room. This is not a regular error and we're sure that our staff removed this from your room bill immediately. Only items that are signed for are charged onto room bills- it could be that somebody signed with the wrong room number by mistake. We apologise once again for this inconvenience.

With regards to the above, please be assured that our BB and HB prices are great value. You may check them out on our websites. We have no issues regarding guests signing for food, beverages, etc. and charging them to their room bill. The majority of guests seem to be happy with this, especially since this is done all around the World.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We chose Malta as the venue for our Wedding on 29th July 2011.

After looking through various brochures, we settled on the 4* Fortina for us and 9 members of the family.

Having been to Malta before, I was aware of certain areas and also very aware of the weather at this time of the year.

Now, we booked the hotel and stupidly started to read some of the reviews on here - we started to get a littlebit worried from this point. We read - poor food, poor rooms, poor staff.... the list goes on. We were a little bit confused as the lady in the travel agents had recently stayed at the Fortina and she had no complaints.

Day one, we arrived after lunch and booked into our 7th floor suite. I was a little bit tired at this stage and moaned to the wife-to-be that it was a garden view not a Valletta view. She pointed out that the road out the front was quite busy and therefore we might be better off out the back. I agreed to give it a go and was glad I did.
The room was perfectly fine. Yes the TV was from about 1990, the kettle was basically a travel one and the carpet wasnt a great design but quite frankly who cares! I'm not going on holiday to watch telly, if i want a drink i go to the bar (thats what I pay All Inclusive for) and if I want a pretty carpet I will go to Carpet Right!!

Having met the rest of the family in the garden pool area, we took some time to find out where everything was. I knew that some one the facilities where 5* so we found out which ones we could use.
The one annoying thing about the all inclusive option was that there was no bar area to use at the back of the hotel (garden). I think the Garden bar is 4* but it was hardly ever open. The pool bar is 5*.

The garden pool is very nice and we spent a lot of time there. The front pool is a wonderful setting but is too busy. Advice - get there early! Also, if there are no loungers available just ask at the bar as there could be spare ones lying around.

The view from the front of the hotel is wonderful across to Valletta. If there are fireworks planned during your stay get a seat out there and watch them from a brilliant position.

The staff were pleasant enough. Some of them needed to smile once in a while but on the whole they were really nice.

The food options are really good (they are changing this week so make sure you find out what is happening if you are a fussy eater). La Vallette was our choice most days as we had two children with us and they had a bit more of a choice. I cannot complain about any meal that I had there and a couple of the waiters went out of their way to accommodate us (we left them a bit of a tip and some of the wedding cake at the end of the week to say thank you). Try the Italian and Indian restaurants as well.

Overall, I had a really good time in a nice hotel. Yes there were problems at the hotel but people really need to take a step back and think before being so picky. If you want a 42" flat screen TV with 300 channels on it then dont bother going to this hotel as you will be disappointed - come to think of it, if thats your main worry dont go on holiday.

One word of warning - timeshare............. get your free harbour cruise tickets but they will offer a tour of the 5* facilities. This is a timeshare talk.
This will also happen along sliema waterfront with people filing in questionnaires and giving you "no obiligation" prize tickets. This happened to us and the guy wouldnt leave us alone even claiming to give us a free 7 day luxury holiday plus free bottles of wine and spirits of our choice! The guy had been clearly drink wine as you could smell it a mile off!

In short, speak to your travel agents if you have any concerns and questions about hotels rather than worry about these reviews. Yes, everyone has their own opinion but some people need to enjoy their holiday a bit more and finding faults in every little thing.

Room Tip: Go for a garden view to get away from the main road (entertan every night so you may need keep the w...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mrmojo27

Dear mrmojo27,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Hotel Fortina. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to congratulate you on your wedding.

Please be advised that the Garden forms part of the 5 Star Resort and therefore is not included in the Hotel Fortina's package. This information is stated on all hotel literature.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future and we wish you a life filled with love and happiness.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I travelled with a long term friend for a 14 night stay on an all inclusive package .Prior to travelling I emailed the hotel regarding ATM facilities and the hotel emailed back promptly that there was an ATM in the nearby shopping complex, literally a five minute walk away. Great if you want to buy M&S food and feel as if you are in an English town, not so good if you want the complete Maltese experience!
On arrival, we discovered that the Fortina 4* shares a site with the Fortina 5* Spa Resort although each has its own entrance and Reception. We were allocated a room with almost all the amenities we had requested - a refurbished room with balcony and sea view. The balcony was a very good size but low - risky for small children - and because the front was all glass, unnerving if you don't like heights! The problem was that the bed was a double. Reception sent up a maid to remake the bed as twin beds but when she put the only bedside table in between the beds, we couldn't open the fridge or the bathroom door. We asked for a room change and ended up paying another 5 euros per night for a so called upgrade. Basically this was a larger, non refurbished room with the requested twin beds but with a very small balcony and a dubious looking carpet (glad we took throwaway slippers!) We still had a sea view and this really is worth having as Valletta lies just across the water from Sliema and it is a delight to watch the boats plying up and down. There is a road between the hotel and the 4* pool area but access to the pool is beneath the road from the lower ground level of the hotel. Traffic noise is minimal. Avoid booking a garden room - you will be overlooking the 5* pool and three of the restaurants.
Having spent day one sorting out our room and acquainting ourselves with the hotel, we tried to leave our room the next morning to find we were locked in! Two visits from the maintenance man later, the lock was "fixed". As we were seven floors up, we were somewhat concerned as to how we would escape a fire if the lock jammed again so another tip would be not to use the manual lock on the inside of your door!
Our room was cleaned to a varying standard. One of our cleaners was brilliant but others were not so good - we had to ask for towels, toilet rolls and soap and during the second week our sheets were not changed for five days. The beds were comfortable and looked fairly new but the bedding was ill fitting and every morning it had parted company with the mattresses so that we ended up sleeping on bare mattresses - there were no mattress covers. Not exactly hygienic.
The kettle in our room had a mind of its own - we had to wriggle the cable to get it to work - and the old t.v. offered only very limited viewing with a line constantly moving down the screen.
One of the main problems for us was identifying what we could and could not have as part of our all inclusive package. Eating, except for breakfast, was on a "dine around" scheme - this may not apply to half board guests.The problem lay in identifying which restaurants were open for lunch and dinner and then, what menus (A, B, or C) were being served that day. Another tip, book in advance to make sure you get a table and the time you want as both 4* and 5* clientele use the restaurants, 5* clientele having unlimited choice from the menu. Food in the Tigne, Can Thai and Sa Re Gama restaurants was superb.
Try to avoid La Vallette for your evening meal. This is where breakfast is served and also, one of the lunch venues. The cooked breakfast was plentiful but usually only luke warm and there was always a queue for coffee/tea. By the end of two weeks we were craving some fresh fruit but the choice was very limited - why not a fresh fruit salad? Lunch times were no better apart from one day, which was a Festa, when the food and choices were very good.
The pool area had recently acquired new furniture around the bar but we rarely saw the tables being cleaned. Admittedly the bar area was always busy but we tired of having to show our All Inclusive ID to the same bar staff - even on our final day! There was also confusion as to what was covered on our package and this varied from day to day! Weekends became a bit of a scrum, as the pool was open to local residents although we were always able to find sunbeds.
And what was wrong with the staff? Apart from a minority, who tried really hard, the staff can only be described as surly and indifferent. We often felt as if we were an inconvenience to the hotel rather than paying guests. In La Vallette (which we heard described as the canteen) try as we might to encourage a smile or conversation from the staff none was forthcoming. Coupled with this, some of the waiters looked untidy and dishevelled. In the spa where we booked our complimentary thalasso therapy sessions, the staff barely acknowledged us as they booked us in. Some of the Reception staff came across as cold and unhelpful and I was deliberately misled when buying a newspaper at the shop.
Possibly 5* guests have a totally different experience but the cross over of facilities and restaurants( we were encouraged to use the 5* pool but could not get a drink there) seems to serve only to create confusion.
Oh, and avoid the timeshare sales patter unless you are really interested. The "tower" consists of timeshare apartments/rooms which you are invited to view.

Room Tip: Avoid booking a garden room if you want a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cowslip49
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Dear Cowslip49,

We would like to thank you for posting your feedback on this website. We are constantly trying to improve our service and therefore, appreciate such feedback. Please be assured that all your comments have been passed onto all those concerned for immediate action.

We would like to point out that the balconies are perfectly safe- height is according to law. We feel the need to point out that it is obvious that guests will need to show their Resident Cards in order to receive their entitlement since other board basis' are available. Guests do often book different board basis over two weeks or more.

With respect to not being able to get drinks in the five star Fortina Spa Resort- we would like to point out that you were a guest of the Hotel Fortina and therefore, Restaurants and Bars are not part of the AI package, they are different hotels afterall.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Helpful reception staff, many good food choices, spacious and clean rooms, small but beautiful pool, close to bus stops and ferries. If I were to visit Malta again, this would be the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bee_africa
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear bee_africa,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Hotel Fortina. We're delighted to hear that you would come back if you come back to Malta! We hope to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is a tired hotel that only gets it's 4 star rating due to the facilities that it shares with the 5 star Fortina Spa. The hotel needs a refurb and so do the reception staff. Having spoken to numerous guests staying in the 5 star hotel the reception staff in both hotels are abrupt, unhelpful and see the guests as nuisance, they need some serious training , This is a real shame as the Maltese people are the friendliest and most helpful you can meet. The hotels have some plus points, the various pools are great, especially the one overlooking Valetta. The most confusing thing about the hotels is the packages available to eat in the various restaurants available to the hotel guests. The hotels have 5 restaurants on site, but I defy anyone to work out the differences between half/full board packages depending on whether you are staying at the 4 or 5 star hotel. The only other downside is the "in your face" timeshare sales machine for the 5 star hotel, BE WARNED they are persistent, slick and the price of a week isn't cheap! Last thing, Wi Fi in the hotel is rubbish. even in reception at the 5 star hotel.
Haviing said all that we had a great time, the weather was great, and the position overlooking Valetta was wonderful and the Maltese food definately ensures you won't go hungry!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear DavidofWatford,

We would like to thank you for posting your feedback on this website. We would like to assure you that your comments regarding Reception staff and Wifi have been passed onto all those concerned.

We would like to point out that although you enjoyed your stay with us (as briefly mentioned at the end of your posting), you only mentioned the negative in depth. We find this rather unfair.

With regards to the dining packages- the guests staying in the four star Hotel Fortina receive a full description leaflet upon arrival and the guests staying in the five star Fortina Spa Resort receive theirs. What the four star guests and the five star guests are entitled to as part of their dining packages is different and we do not understand why this would concern you. All guests are given their own entitlements upon arrival, depending on which hotel they are staying in. If everybody looks at what they are entitled to, there will be no confusion whatsoever.

With regards to timeshare personnel- we would like to point out that we have received very good comments regarding the staff and the comments we receive are far from them being pushy. We have passed on your comments to all those concerned.

Regards,
Hotel Fortina team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Fortina Spa Resort
#2 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Hotel Fortina? Share your experiences!