“OH DEAR”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Derby, United Kingdom
“OH DEAR”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My wife and I have just been to the Fortina for 6 nights and could not believe the demise.We arrived to be greeted by very pleasant staff, got the room we booked,great start.Our room overlooked the harbour and Valletta and seemed in good repair.However on the second day we noticed 4 cracks in the bath,sheets of chipboard supporting the mattress and a few mms of dust etc under the bed.We were allowed use of another room to shower so not too bad.The food in the buffett had to be tried to be believed.Awful,tasteless,mostly cold and little choice.Our next dinner was in the Canthai and was of the usual high standard although the desserts had been cut down in choice and quantity.Breakfast was acceptable just,same again cold and reduced choice.Our other hotel choice the Tigne still had some of the rude staff we had seen before and the food was of a poor standard.Several guests sent the meal back and others showed their dipleasure.Strangely we had identical wine each night and the price varied from each one.Evenings in the cocktail bar had to be seen to be believed The top attendance at 9pm was 35 and the lowest 12.I felt sorry for the artists.However on new years eve aftr our meal we couldnt get a seat.The bar was full of locals who never even got up to buy a drink.We think the abolition of all inclusive and the way it was introduced has had a devasting effect and fear the hotel may not survive.Such a shame after all the fabulous holidays we have spent in the Fortina it had to come to this shambolic end.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HELGRA22
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear HELGRA22,

We would like to thank you for your posting on this website. We are disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us as you have in recent years. We are constantly trying to better our services and therefore, appreciate the feedback we receive. We would like to reply to your comments accordingly;
- Should you have told Reception about your dis-pleasures with the room, we would have been more than happy to change your room.
- We are disappointed to learn about your comments about La Vallette Restaurant, we usually have much praise. Your comments have been passed onto all those concerned.
- With regards to Ristorante Tigne, we apologise for the problems encountered - please be assured that your comments have been passed onto all those concerned for immediate action.
- The wine prices are constant throughout the hotel's restaurants. There may be an issue in Hibiki and Sa Re Ga Ma Restaurants since these Restaurants are outside concessions and therefore, we have no control over what they serve.
- Kindly be informed that the All Inclusive Package is now available at the sister hotel of the Hotel Fortina, the Fortina Spa Resort. Please see their website to find out what is on offer.

Hotel Fortina team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Donemana . Co Tyrone
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I,m a month late with this one due to my work schedule. However I will not go into the exact details of how we came to be going to Malta but it was the result of my wife filling in a questionaire at a Shooting & Fishing Exibition in Belfast back in Jan.. We got a call a few weeks later from this Hotel offering us a deal that was too good to miss, so we booked up. On arrival at the Hotel we went through to the checkin desk - ops ! wrong entrance - try down the street 60 yards . It was soon obvious that we were in the economy side of the hotel - ah well so what ! The checkin was faultless so then to the lift - it was slow but more so small but got us to our room ok . The room was smart and clean and overlooked the back end of the hotel to the various restaurants - no sea view and very quiet. Breakfast was excellent in every way , could get a bit crowded at times but generally was ok. Also it was served in what I might call the basement level restraurant - an underpass from here took you under the main road outside to the main pool area ( and yet another open air restaurant ) both were slightly elevated from the sea.. This pool really isn,t big enough and could be quite crowded but the sea is only yards away - it was quite warm but at 20' + is too deep for non swimmers ! The only condition that was stressed on us at the time of the booking was that we had to attend a briefing about the hotel - OK we went and it was a time share scam but after 90mins of rubbish chat and a trip around the 5* side of the hotel ( which was something else ) I had had enough and feigned a bit of tummy problem and promised to return .. and yes I didn,t and though I met the rep several times later he never mentioned anything. As for the hotel location it was simply excellent in every way . There are countless buses running back and forth to the main bus station in Valletta basically every 20mins ( from 200 yards down the road ) . From the main hub it,s the same ie no shortage of buses to just about anywhere on the Island and they are cheap ! There are also various water Taxi,s running across to Valletta again from near the bus stop and again cheap , well run and safe . No trip to Malta would be complete without 1. A harbour cruise/trip as that is something else - make sure you have a good camera with you with plenty of space ! 2. A boat trip to Gozo and especially The Blue Lagoon . I have been to Malta dozens and dozens of times when I worked in Libya but never got to travel around it which was a disgrace on my part . However in all my travels I have never ever seen water like it is in The Blue Lagoon so do not miss it ! Back to the Hotel - would I go back ? a big Yes ! We were only B&B and never ate any meals in the hotel as to be fair one could eat down the street much cheaper or across in central Valletta . Food on average is slightly cheaper than in the UK and of a high quality so no complaints there , same for the pop . Yes we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will probably go back there but for sure we will be back in Malta again and soon . I will close with one last tip which I forgot - Do not miss the firing of the big gun daily at noon at " The Upper Baracca Gardens " in Valletta , it had a particular signifiance to me in that my late father was in The Royal Navy during WW2 and was on the Malta Convoy runs. He always wanted to go back there ! sadly he never made it ... Malta is a gem compared to all the other islands in the Med and with friendly honest people it,s hard to beat ... Amen ...John

Room Tip: You could ask for a sea-view room at an extra cost but it,s not really worth it as the main road out...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lovesalaugh
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
Dear lovesalaugh,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in Malta and at the Hotel Fortina. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and on the Island. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Fortina in the near future!

Wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Warm wishes from sunny Malta,
Scotland
Reviewed 4 December 2011

This is a four star hotel,however if you want to book a tour of Malta, they will only book the one they own...? Otherwise, you are left to your own devices, to search for a computer to book it yourself,which I can not understand in a Four Star Hotel...
does customer service mean nothing?

The sheets did not fit the beds, so we found ourselves either sleeping on the mattress itself or twisted up in the sheets, which were not changed for the 7 days that we were there.

The shower head fell off the wall, the tea maker did not work.

If you are on half board, the food at the main cafeteria restaurant was fair to good, however don't go to the Chinese restaurant ( Can Thai), it is really bad.

Considering the service, I would never consider it to be four star hotel!

There are a lot of places looking for your business,in Malta, and I wouldn't give it to one that won't even book the bus tour of your choice for you!

1 Thank lechatnoir7
Dear lechatnoir7,

Thank you for your posting. We would like to apologise for the inconveniences in certain areas in your room. Should you have reported problems or requested a room change, we would have gladly changed your room.

We are disappointed to learn about your experience in our Award-Winning Restaurant Can Thai - we usually receive nothing but praise from this Restaurant.

With regards to the open-top bus company, the Hotel Fortina uses City Sightseeing, which is an international brand, operated in over 90 countries Worldwide. We offer this bus company because we believe it to be superior to others offered. Therefore, in order to give our customers the best value for money and best experience, this is the only bus company we sell tickets for.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Hotel Fortina team

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Galway
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Modern hotel with numerous eating choices within. Boasting 7 restaurants , attached to Spa and in a good location. Very clean with numerous swimming pools. Excellent value. Only one criticism that soured the visit. On the first day attending breakfast we were greeted by a member of staff or a lead generator who distributed tickets for a free cruise around the harbour. He also asked us to attend a holiday presentation the following morning which we assumed would be trips around the Island etc. and would last about an hour. It later turned out that it was a presentation to join a world wide travel club and the presentation lasted for at least one and a half hours. Fortina need to inform their guests the exact nature of the presentation and as financial transactions are concerned they need to either instruct the lead generator that he is Independant or working for the Fortina. Surely a business card presented to each customer would suffice. Come on Fortina, either transact business in a correct and proper manner or distance yourself from the holiday company. This might I add was the only bad point of our stay, but it sticks in a beautiful memory of Malta. Maybe the Fortina hotel should seek some advice from the Maltese Financial Services Commission.

1 Thank Mike H
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Mike H,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us on this website. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you in the near future.

With regards to the Holiday Ownership, we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and inform you that your comments have been passed onto the company. Guests are able to decline the offer and continue with their holiday.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm wishes,
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Possibly the worst experience EVER in all my years of travel. Check in really had to be seen to be believed. All conversation was with the top of the receptionists head. Yes, she never looked up. The only time she did was to advise that we did not have a booking. Luckily I had an email on my phone from bokking.com. Anyway we were sent to a room that was already occupied and to cut a HORRENDOus Story short we eventually got into " a room" 3 hours later. The room smelt damp and musty and honestly If you are considering staying here PLEASE think again, It is so horrrible and the staff HATE CUSTOMERS.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
3 Thank Caroline658662
Dear Caroline658662,

Thank you for commenting on this website. Please contact us directly regarding your recent stay with us by email. All contact details are on our website. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the wrong room being allocated.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Now what I want to know is who gave this hotel a 4-star rating?? My first problem with this hotel starts right at check in. The receptionist is pleasant but slightly rude, and doesn't even take the time to explain where everything is. The hotel is laid out a little oddly (restaurants in different places, and different floors), and it was challenging for us to find what we were looking for, so a quick rundown of where the restaurants, spa, pool, etc would have been nice. She also did not offer the luggage room for us, as we had to wait about an hour before our room was ready. We eventually left the hotel and had lunch outside and up the street.
We are able to get into our room and it is maybe bigger than a shoebox! Our experience is similar to one of the earlier reviews. We could barley squeeze by the bed (which was an experience in its own right), so imagine trying to add two suitcases in there! Ugh it was frustrating. The bathroom was so small we could hardly sit on the toilet- I had to wonder how it was even legal to have a bathroom that small, dingy, and poorly appointed. The tile was that cheesy flowered pattern from the 70's or 80's, and was rather dirty looking. Even the shower curtain was nasty and didn't cover the length of the tub. Now will someone tell me how this place has a 4 star rating?????! Back to the bed though... it was one of those weird super old spring mattresses and you could totally tell. It was uncomfortable and loud, and even the bedding was unclean. Instead of a king bed that we requested, we got two singles (not even twin) pushed together. Now I understand in Europe this is common to have two mattresses pushed together, but at least they are usually in a single frame and DONT slide around all night. It was really awful.
The other nail in the coffin was that the hotel did not have air conditioning. We get there on a hot and sticky day and literally, when we entered the room for the first time I felt like i was going into a sauna. They had a crappy and old ac unit in the room, but all it did was spit out hot air. When we approached them about this they said all the ac was broken (but the lobby and restaurants were air conditioned...) and none of the rooms had it. OK, so how does every individual AC unit break down in a whole hotel?? Each room had a separate unit!! I couldn't believe this excuse. Just because they are poor quality does not mean you can lie to me. I really couldn't believe this. I really would expect a 4-star joint to have WORKING ac in the room, and not some crappy unit.

Another very odd part of this hotel is that our first morning at breakfast, some sleazy type approached us and tried to get us to go to a 'presentation' to get us to come back and stay at the 5-star hotel at a cheaper rate. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? This is a hotel, not some shady time share business. I just couldn't believe a 4-star hotel was trying to peddle things off to me. It was absolutely inappropriate.

The only redeeming factors of this hotel are the beautiful views to the bay, as well as the pools (and a select few restaurants). I think the only nice thing about this place are the views and even the attractions outside it. We were very disappointed with the hotel itself.

Also, on a random side note- this place was overrun with the elderly. Now, usually this stuff doesn't bother me, but it just seemed like this place caters strictly to the mid-60's and upwards crowd. That would have been nice information to know before booking this place. Definitely not the place a young couple or honeymooner should want to go.

All in all it was a pretty terrible place. The only positive experiences we had here were outside the hotel. We stayed here Nov 24th and were supposed to stay til the 27th. We checked out early. This place really should not have a 4-star rating. I think what really gets me is that after all the reviews here on Trip Advisor they say they passed on the complaints to the powers that be and are working to fix things, but we stayed here as recently as this weekend and everything was still crap. Seriously, I hope they don't even bother commenting on this post, since I know they won't do anything about it. Judging by the state of our very recent experience it is very clear that they are just trying to look accommodating. Its just sad.

3 Thank MikeandAshley529
Dear MikeandAshley529,

Thank you for your posting. We would like to reply accordingly;

The size of the rooms and the bathrooms are according to the Malta Tourism Authority regulations.

Airconditioning in rooms is not a problem we have and they are fully functional, it could be that there was a problem in your particular room and therefore, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by our Reception staff not informing Maintenance. Should this have been a problem, we would have changed your room.

With regards to the Holiday Ownership staff, guests are able to decline the offer of a presentation in the Fortina Spa Resort.

We would like to apologise for the fact that our guests' ages bothered you. We value all our guests.

All comments have been passed onto all those concerned.

Regards,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for the first two weeks of november, on arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a garden view room, but to be honest we were shown by another guest a sea view room which we had origonally booked, and it was better.
We did have to request a change of room from the 4th floor as there was black mould on the curtains and walls, this affected my partners athsma badly so we were moved to the sixth floor,there was a drain smell in both rooms, which i had to stop by making sure the bath plug and handbasin plugs were both in and closed, the carpet on the floor was very dusty at the edges and this again caused breathing problems, but on the whole the rooms were ok.
The food served in the hotel was ok, nothing special, but the" dine around the world " service in the other restaurants was nice , beware of the time share man who is stationed at the door outside the downstairs hotel restaurant... this is simply out of order and should be stoppedThe reception staff appear to be poorly trained and they dont smile much, the Mercury Direct rep is a man of very few words, and in fact on several occations i saw him trying to "get away" when guests were at reception complaining.
In my view the hotel was ok but not 4 star, ...footnote, the two lifts to the right of reception are weired, the left hand one works when it likes, usually stopping on the eighth floor or the ground floor. The one thing that bugged me, was the fact that the hotel had no teaspoons...all you had to make coffee or tea was a plastic stick....in a 4 star hotel, i dont think so, this needs changing, and a note to the manager...for gods sake, paint a smile on the receptionists faces please.

Room Tip: if you are offered a room upgrade, check out your origonal requested room first, and try to dodge th...
2 Thank geordielad_11
Dear geordielad_11,

Thank you for your comments posted on this website. We are constantly trying to better our services to our customers and therefore appreciate any feedback we receive. Please be assured that all your comments have been passed onto Management for immediate action.

Hotel Fortina team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Fortina Spa Resort
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel

Been to Hotel Fortina? Share your experiences!