“astra hotel”

Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“astra hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

The hotel room was clean with ensuite shower room, wifi and the hotel has asun terrace, we were also allowed to use the facilities next door in preluna. The loction was very good easy to get to from the airport and verr close to beach, bars , restauranats etcI would have no problems recommeneded the hotel except that when I asked to booke another night they put the price up it had been 12euros online and they charged 17 euros per person for another night. They have a per person per night charge
When I came back and wanted to stay by myself for 1 night in a twin room they also tried to charge me for two people until I asked to speak to manager. They did apaologies after and were otherwise friendly and helpful but I would double check prices!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jude_trips_101
Preluna S, Guest Relations Manager at Astra Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Please take our apologies for the inconvenience about the prices; our rooms are available for single use.

We are glad you were satisfied with the great location of the Astra Hotel.

We hope you have enjoyed your time in Malta.
Looking forward to welcome you again!

Kind regards,
Daniel Diosi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

I really enjoyed my time in Malta and will go back again definitely. Astra hotel is not so bad! It's ok.! location is great and the front desk were nice to me specially CLAUDIA such a sweet girl and pretty too. Daniel was also very nice to me. I had no problem with him. Just remember, English is not their first language! Like I said location wise the hotel is great, big space, not the cleanest but it's ok. For what you get the price should be lower. The only things I really did not like : First, they don't provide you any amenities like soap, shampoo and conditioner luckily I brought a soap with me, but I had to wait for the next day to buy a shampoo and conditioner in a supermarket. THEY SHOULD SAY THAT IN THE ADVERTISEMENT: BRING YOUR OWN SOAP, SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER. Then, the breakfast is so blaaah! I don't eat carbs if I can help it and they have a lot of bread. I wish they have scrambled eggs. Overall the hotel is OK.
NOTE: Malta's bus system is great but A LOT OF THE DRIVERS ARE JERKS!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Your remarks are truly appreciated. Both in regards of the room and location, also for highlighting those two great person who are a great asset for the Astra Hotel.

We hope you have enjoyed your time in Malta.
Looking forward to welcome you again!

Kind regards,
Daniel Diosi
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We really liked this place at the start. The location is excellent, its quiet, the price is very good and the rooms were clean.

However, we started to notice things as we stayed that rubbed us the wrong way. One staff member in particular, Daniel was his name, was very antagonistic. In the middle of our stay he stopped us and insisted we pay for the room. According to their own guest book, you are supposed to pay the night before you leave. But he insisted and basically told me "your mistaken". So we went ahead and paid.

Additionally, I asked for some laundry to be done. Unfortunately they don't do laundry over the weekend so I had to put in for an "express" laundry on Monday. The bill came back from the laundry as 50 euro. It was for about 12 items, mostly underwear, so that seemed high, but I just accepted it was part of travel inconvenience. However, when I went to pay, Daniel said, oh no, its actual 76 euro!! That was nearly half the cost of our entire stay. When I pressed him and complained, as I clearly had a bill for 50 euro in my hand - he took almost an hour to investigate the issue and finally came back and said that 50 euro was a "mistake" and the price was 76 euro.

Finally, when I asked to keep the original receipt of 50 euro, (I wanted to review the issue later, since this all seemed extremely shady) he would not give me the receipt!! He outright refused, because it was the "wrong receipt". It was kind of incredible. So needless to say, I can't endorse them. Such a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank ganeagla

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

The hotel was a little bit ascetic but not bad at all. All rooms were clean and the cleaning lady was really nice and quick in her job. The location of the hotel was so perfect. It was easy to go everywhere by bus. The staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't have sea view or balcony but we didn't have either noice comming to our room from downstairs pub. The breakfast was good too. We didn't have english breakfast but we didn't want it either. The english breakfast was served in downstairs pub in the mornings. The hotel transfer from Luqa airport to hotel cost 28€ by minivan/one direction. It was really good and easy way to travel with baggage. We enjoyed of our week in Astra hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Our room would be best thought of as a private room in a hostal with a wonderful view. The pricing structure enables you to get a cheap room. We had a balcony with an awesome view of the ocean. We booked for no breakfast nor dinner. You can decide on any morning whether or not you want to pay 5 euros per person for breakfast. The breakfast is of low quality especially the machine coffee, but since you can look at it before paying... no complaints. This is an advantage if you have to check out early or are leaving early for a tour. They also have a dinner at the associated hotel next door which is also optional.

There is no refrigerator in the room. The restaurant (Trattoria Cardini) has excellent take-out pizza. There is a supermarket two blocks away.

The beds were not comfortable, like in some hostels. There was no air conditioning but because of the overhead fan, the floor fan and the balcony on the 4th floor, the air conditioning was not necessary. The shower stall is rather small. The TV has news channels in many different languages and the WiFi works well. The location in Sliema is excellent. The people working there were polite and helpful. They had no problem with taking a towel to the beach. Overall, for Malta this was a good value.

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor with the seaview. Don't pay in advance for breakfast or dinner.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WhoeverYouAre
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

It was our first visit to Malta. Our goal was to see more and more to travel Malta. So we are not chasing the best hotel service and «stars» but a base, inexpensive hotel with a good location. As a result, not a mistake. The hotel is located very conveniently on the Sliema waterfront from the open sea. Some rooms have sea views. Nearby is the bus stop, where you can go in different directions, including to Valletta. Two steps are supermarkets and shopping mall for those who like good shopping. 5 minutes on foot is Sliema Ferry, which offer a best view of Valletta and excellent transport service. It was a very polite and friendly staff. Our room was cleaned daily, they are equipped with two fans, so we were cool. For 2 weeks of our holidays we did not meet any foreign guests, such as insects. We are very enjoy our staying in this hotel so will advise it to all our friends in Russia. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rostislav P
Porthmadog, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

the only good bit were the staff,very polite and helpfull.
the hotel was very basic,although two fans were provided sleeping was a farce,the sliding door to the bathroom WILL wake you and your neighbours.the breakfast was very poor,if you ordered a evening meal you were req to go to nearby hotel a fact not disclosed before hand.arriving after midnight also a problem as you need to go to another hotel to get keys,now finding your hotel was difficult as hotel sighn was above the pub+access was around the corner.THE PUB below the hotel had a rock band playing untill 6.00am one night,two other nights kareokee was on that went on late as cheap beer was on offer the floor of the room looked as if it had not been mopped for agees

Room Tip: d'ont bother
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple