“wonderfull place”

Diplomat Hotel Malta
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 2 January 2014

we arrived on boxing day at 23.30hrs and were given a lovely glass of sparkly wine whilst we signed in..The room was a sea view with a small balcony, it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, it was cleaned everyday.
the staff were very friendly especialy the restaurant staff.the food was very good and we were half board.
we loved this place and was very sorry to leave this morning, we are already looking to go back in the spring for a long weekend.

Room Tip: if you book a sea view make sure its at the front not the side of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank chris d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

THE Water was Brown for four days. Noise from the cars tooting Night and Day. The Food was Cold. My Room was next to the lift!! I had to move from there costing me 165 Euros with Mercury Direct. The Staff on the reception was NOT helpful. Bad location on a very busy road. Never again to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher Floor may be better
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank DPR2014
Reviewed 1 January 2014

ROOM: Side sea view. Very nicely set out with plenty of storage space, chairs and tables. I was delighted to find that the clothes hangers in the wardrobe were hung from silent plastic runners and not from the usual, noisy metal runners. There were sufficient power sockets for me to charge my camera and computer batteries at the same time. Excellent wi-fi signal (though I spent more time on my computer in my room than perhaps I should do on any holiday). The tea and coffee making facilities included sachets of coffee, whitener and sugar and tea bags replenished daily. The 500ml bottle of water waiting for me on arrival was very much appreciated after my journey to Malta. The room had a television; I did not use it during my holiday.
I used the small balcony a lot.It was nicely sheltered from wet weather and I guess also from the strong summer sun. The room has a glass wall onto the balcony so if you dislike heights then I suggest you request a room on a low floor.
The bathroom was clean and had plenty of space for my toiletries. A nice touch was the dispenser full of shower gel.
Overall, I could relax in this room, handle emails and browse web sites, set out all the things I needed for my next day's walking and bus-riding, charge all my batteries (the electrical ones) and charge my own batteries (with a cup of coffee). Very nice.

FOOD: At dinner there was always a choice of four main dishes (meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian) and an embarrassment of puddings (such that I had to think carefully about my waistline). Breakfast was similarly well catered for and was a very pleasant way to start each day. Another nice touch was the basket of "help yourself" apples in Reception.
The chefs were often in the dining room at dinner time and were always happy to talk about the food. I had several informative chats with a British chef named Ian who loved to describe the ingredients in his dishes and the way they were cooked. It was fascinating to see what the Maltese had made of the British dish of scrambled eggs.
The dining room is in the hotel's basement and a very pleasant feature was a large glazed wall behind which was a rock wall with several decorative plants. There were also several large paintings of typical Maltese scenes on other walls. Lighting was good and this was a very nice dining room.

LOCATION: The Diplomat is conveniently close to bus stops on routes to Valletta, Bugibba, Cirkewwa, Mdina, Rabat, Mtarfa and Dingli.This suited me very well because I used the buses a lot (particularly the buses to Mdina and Rabat). The most convenient place to get the bus timetable booklets is from the Arriva kiosk in the airport's Arrivals Hall (there is an Arriva kiosk on the waterfront at Sliema but it was closed when I visited it).

STAFF: Friendly, courteous and helpful. They were kind enough to help with, tolerate and even encourage my attempts with basic Maltese words and phrases.

LOBBY and BAR: Very nicely laid out.They had a nice light and airy atmosphere due to several large windows.

I visited Malta during the quiet period preceding Christmas. I was pleased to see that this hotel set a high standard of accommodation and food even though this was the quiet period. I first stayed at this hotel in winter 2012/2013 and liked it so much that I decided to repeat the holiday in December 2013 (booking a package holiday with Chevron) so breaking my normal practise of never taking a second holiday at a hotel.

I have already recommended the Diplomat to several of my friends and it is very likely that I shall return to the hotel when I next take a holiday in Sliema.

Room Tip: I had a side sea view room and (in my stay during Winter 12/13). Very nice - I could sit on my balco...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank 4Gean
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel is fine, cheep, big clean rooms. The food is good and there is entertainment on every night.

We are staying here over Christmas and New Year and its been a very pleasant stay so far.

The rooftop pool is closed as it winter, but should be quite nice in the summer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mongo_Dave
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I are going to Malta June of next year and we will be staying again for the 3rd. consecutive time at The Diplomat.
I cannot find anything to be critical about this hotel. It is centrally located in Sliema with buses to Valletta 150 metres away. The staff give excellent service in a very friendly manner. The food prepared by the chefs is some of the best there is in Malta,.

Room Tip: Spa was not used. Have stayed in Seaview room and also Corner Room. Both are large and sunny and are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank NinoXerri
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This has been my third consecutive visit to Malta - my first 2 years I stayed in Bugibba and decides this year on a change of scenery etc. I must say straight away it was my best year yet, for a few reasons.
1. Hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful throughout my 3 week stay.
2. My room was comfortable and cleaned every day.
3.Meals contained vey wide choices - breakfasts were always hot, for a change - starters were imaginative and varied.
However, as usual, I had a few reservations.
1. Evening main course meals did not have enough carvery for my liking - I missed my steak/beef being carved.
2. I had expected satellite TV with wide selection - English channels were very few, and the quality of picture was not up to standard. Therefore, I watched TV in the lobby and bar - choice here depended on other people present !!!!!!!
3. Entertainment was sparce - some available at evening meal time. Nothing at night later on, and I missed having an adult dance etc. I think hotels could keep each other informed about the choice of entertainment available in their respective establishments.

Sincerely hope this report is received in the same manner, as it is given here.
Overall, the holiday was 'the best yet' !!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Sliema is one of the best locations for a short stay in Malta. I'm happy I chose the Diplomat for my stay there - it's on the waterfront, near key facilities and offers value for money, reliable service. I like a good hotel breakfast and it's something you get there as well as a good dinner served by friendly staff (Mr. Ian was especially professional). I recommend the place. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo