Diplomat Hotel Malta
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have been to this hotel six times in the last four years. For business or pleasure it is ideally situaated (beach front) at one of the best holidays destinations in Malta. The restaurant is top class but what I like best is the sea view and the cafe' fronting Sliema promonade. You can sit there evenings and enjoy Malta passing bye. Service is excellent. I am Malta born and I know hotels in Malta but coming home from Australia there is no other hotel better for having clean romms (everyday), friendly and efficient staff, front desk, and especially the front bar with Karl, Louis and.Piere. Managment and office staff are a delight to deal with. My wife thinks this is home away from home.

Room Tip: Front room views are excellent
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank lorenzo4436
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We went to the Diplomat for new year and were really pleased with the location of the hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful and always made you feel welcome. We were there on half board, and the breakfasts were really lovely. We ate in the buffet restaurant twice and the food was good, and there was a gala dinner one night in the ambassador restaurant which was lovely. The best bit of any meal was the soup, no matter what it was, it was always fabulous. The room was made up every day by the lovely housekeeping staff and it was always spotless, as were the public areas.

However, unfortunately I will not be going back to the Diplomat and this is really due to things that are outwith the current staffs control. There is no balcony to speak of in any of the rooms and while this didn't matter in December, I would really miss that in the summer as I love to sit and watch the world go by in the evening. The decor is a bit tired and could be doing with an update as well. The main issue for us was the layout of the bathroom - there was very little space which was fine for us as we are able bodied, but for many other people this would cause a huge amount of trouble. Finally, there was nothing on in the hotel (that we knew off) for New Years Eve, which was a shame. In all honesty there may have been something on, but it wasn't advertised so we decided to go elsewhere that night instead. All in all, this was our first trip to Malta and we loved it so we will go back, and the location of the Diplomat was so good we would stay close by, but sadly we won't be going back there. As another reviewer said, it was perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kaggim
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Nice small hotel, the room was a sea view with a small balcony, it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, it was cleaned everyday. the staff were very friendly especially the restaurant staff.the food was very good, (breakfast), loved this place and looking forward to go with family soon. There was no carpet in room,I recommend rooms should be carpeted.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are more quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Aamir H
Reviewed 2 January 2014

we arrived on boxing day at 23.30hrs and were given a lovely glass of sparkly wine whilst we signed in..The room was a sea view with a small balcony, it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, it was cleaned everyday.
the staff were very friendly especialy the restaurant staff.the food was very good and we were half board.
we loved this place and was very sorry to leave this morning, we are already looking to go back in the spring for a long weekend.

Room Tip: if you book a sea view make sure its at the front not the side of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank chris d
Reviewed 2 January 2014

THE Water was Brown for four days. Noise from the cars tooting Night and Day. The Food was Cold. My Room was next to the lift!! I had to move from there costing me 165 Euros with Mercury Direct. The Staff on the reception was NOT helpful. Bad location on a very busy road. Never again to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher Floor may be better
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank DPR2014
Reviewed 1 January 2014

ROOM: Side sea view. Very nicely set out with plenty of storage space, chairs and tables. I was delighted to find that the clothes hangers in the wardrobe were hung from silent plastic runners and not from the usual, noisy metal runners. There were sufficient power sockets for me to charge my camera and computer batteries at the same time. Excellent wi-fi signal (though I spent more time on my computer in my room than perhaps I should do on any holiday). The tea and coffee making facilities included sachets of coffee, whitener and sugar and tea bags replenished daily. The 500ml bottle of water waiting for me on arrival was very much appreciated after my journey to Malta. The room had a television; I did not use it during my holiday.
I used the small balcony a lot.It was nicely sheltered from wet weather and I guess also from the strong summer sun. The room has a glass wall onto the balcony so if you dislike heights then I suggest you request a room on a low floor.
The bathroom was clean and had plenty of space for my toiletries. A nice touch was the dispenser full of shower gel.
Overall, I could relax in this room, handle emails and browse web sites, set out all the things I needed for my next day's walking and bus-riding, charge all my batteries (the electrical ones) and charge my own batteries (with a cup of coffee). Very nice.

FOOD: At dinner there was always a choice of four main dishes (meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian) and an embarrassment of puddings (such that I had to think carefully about my waistline). Breakfast was similarly well catered for and was a very pleasant way to start each day. Another nice touch was the basket of "help yourself" apples in Reception.
The chefs were often in the dining room at dinner time and were always happy to talk about the food. I had several informative chats with a British chef named Ian who loved to describe the ingredients in his dishes and the way they were cooked. It was fascinating to see what the Maltese had made of the British dish of scrambled eggs.
The dining room is in the hotel's basement and a very pleasant feature was a large glazed wall behind which was a rock wall with several decorative plants. There were also several large paintings of typical Maltese scenes on other walls. Lighting was good and this was a very nice dining room.

LOCATION: The Diplomat is conveniently close to bus stops on routes to Valletta, Bugibba, Cirkewwa, Mdina, Rabat, Mtarfa and Dingli.This suited me very well because I used the buses a lot (particularly the buses to Mdina and Rabat). The most convenient place to get the bus timetable booklets is from the Arriva kiosk in the airport's Arrivals Hall (there is an Arriva kiosk on the waterfront at Sliema but it was closed when I visited it).

STAFF: Friendly, courteous and helpful. They were kind enough to help with, tolerate and even encourage my attempts with basic Maltese words and phrases.

LOBBY and BAR: Very nicely laid out.They had a nice light and airy atmosphere due to several large windows.

I visited Malta during the quiet period preceding Christmas. I was pleased to see that this hotel set a high standard of accommodation and food even though this was the quiet period. I first stayed at this hotel in winter 2012/2013 and liked it so much that I decided to repeat the holiday in December 2013 (booking a package holiday with Chevron) so breaking my normal practise of never taking a second holiday at a hotel.

I have already recommended the Diplomat to several of my friends and it is very likely that I shall return to the hotel when I next take a holiday in Sliema.

Room Tip: I had a side sea view room and (in my stay during Winter 12/13). Very nice - I could sit on my balco...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank 4Gean
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel is fine, cheep, big clean rooms. The food is good and there is entertainment on every night.

We are staying here over Christmas and New Year and its been a very pleasant stay so far.

The rooftop pool is closed as it winter, but should be quite nice in the summer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends