“Medioca Hotel”

Diplomat Hotel Malta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have just returned from a weeks B+B. Booked this hotel on recommendation,
so sorry we did. Booked a room with a sea view. Room very dated and in need of a lot of TLC. House keeping very poor, I would not let my dog lie on the rug by the side of the bed. Breakfast was awful. under cooked cold eggs, under cooked greasy cold bacon. Its only redeeming feature was the staff in the dining room and the sea view, which came at extra cost.

Room Tip: Not a Hotel I would recommend.
2  Thank John5202

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We have just returned from a very pleasant five day stay at the Diplomat. We found the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful, the rooms were spotless and the beds very comfortable. Breakfast and evening meals were excellent with plenty of choice. The Maltese evening was particularly enjoyable with many Maltese dishes to sample. We will definitely be returning.

1  Thank TheaC31
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have just returned from a week at the Diplomat, staying on a half board basis, something I would not normally do but it was my first visit to Malta and had no idea what to expect.
The restaurant is a self service buffet but I would suggest that the food is more on the level of a 1950's factory canteen! It looks awful and is inedible. Having read some of the comments on this site I am amazed that more people have not mentioned this. The fish or meat swimming in grey thin liquid in containers, sitting on a bain marie, under lids for seemingly hours and yet never being more than luke warm. I did try(as I had paid upfront) on three separate days to dine in house but it was truly disgusting.
It is beyond me that in the 21st century a starred hotel gets away with this level of cuisine.
The sewage smell has been mentioned before and in my experience it is noticeable walking in the entrance from the lovely Sliema promenade and is really bad in the lifts. It is not in the rooms or the dining room so (surprisingly) its not the food!
It is very hard to get a restful nights sleep due to the traffic noise which goes on until the early hours. I had a room on the side of the hotel so I'm not sure you can escape it.
Generally the staff were not very service oriented but with the exception of one young woman, not rude.
I will give a couple of bouquets though; a lovely lady on the dining room staff, always careing and helpful and the chambermaids did a great job cleaning my room and en suite. Sparkling every day.
I'm afraid my stay at the Diplomat did colour my views of Malta and I won't be hurrying back, a shame because it is quite unique with an amazing history and a lot see and do.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank terence-john
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stay in this hotel in May 2013.We booked this hotel becouse we want a room whit see view , the view was on the sea but just a corner of the room( we ask a confirmation forthis kind of room).The room was very basic,old furniture. We send a mail to ask direction , we raceived a answer "you can take a taxi".

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The hotel had a good location and well supplied by local buses. The staff were friendly and the hotel very clean and breakfast was good. But very disappointed with the noise levels - we had to sleep the whole week with our ear plugs in even when we moved rooms further to the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 968Couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just returned from 11 nights at The Diplomat (part work, part leisure). I would certainly recommend it, especially for the following reasons: location; sea views; price; transport links; friendly staff; cleanliness; gym.

Having travelled through most of Malta, I think the Diplomat is the best located hotel on the island. It is on the seafront in the upmarket Sliema district, close to Valletta, but without the city crowds or heavy traffic. There are places to eat and drink within a few hundred metres, but it is not a heavily commercialised location. The seafront promenade is probably the best in Malta.

My room (with sea view) was excellent value for money. Road noise was noticeable with the balcony door open, so rooms higher up the building are better. Ask for floors 5, 6 or 7. (Rooms without sea view will be quieter.)

There are plenty of buses on the road outside. They go directly to Valletta and the Airport. Buses are also very inexpensive (possibly the cheapest in Europe), although the prices will probably rise in 2015 when a private company takes over the island bus network. Don't even think of renting a car (unless you have money to burn and enjoy the challenge of finding parking spaces). The buses are often crowded, so either wait for the next bus (a few minutes), or learn how to work your way towards the back, where empty seats will emerge.

Almost all the staff at The Diplomat, especially the women, were helpful and friendly. Sometimes the female staff seemed overworked. The male staff, however, were perhaps a little less service-oriented and had a more leisurely attitude to their jobs. This may be a 'cultural' difference, not specific to this hotel.

The hotel was very clean. This is also true of Malta in general.

The gym facilities were good and hardly used by any residents. A great way to start the day!

Some improvements (which may increase the price) would include: better TV channels; better bedding; a better ironing board on the 5th floor!; better food (although the desserts are excellent); some investment and upgrading of the building, which is at least 30 years old. However, generally it is a well maintained hotel and everything worked.

Here is my response to some other reviews on this web site: I thought I had a good nose, but I did not detect the 'sewage' smells mentioned by a previous reviewer, although I was staying there at exactly the same time. Also, the pool area on the hotel roof is closed until the summer months, so it's appearance in March should not be part of the hotel review. I'm sure it will be cleaned before it opens!

I will return to The Diplomat and pay a little extra for a sea view.

Room Tip: Sea views are worth paying extra for. Higher floors (5-7) reduce the road noise when the balcony do...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We booked a week half board at this hotel with a sea view room included. First impressions were OK but it doesn't really have the appeal of the photographs on their web site. The room we were given for our first night was a side room with a view on the building next door. When we complained we were given what we had paid for, offered one free lunch and a safe key for the week as compensation.

Reception staff are terse but polite. The food is reasonable for the price and the restaurant staff very accommodating. Beds are comfortable but they don't seem to have grasped the concept of fitted sheets or mattress protectors and as a consequence by the morning my bed was a pile of crumpled sheets. Swimming pool was closed all week which may be a blessing because it wasn't very clean or appealing.

The worst aspect by far with this hotel is that the lift shafts and corridors smell of raw sewage. When I mentioned this to the hotel manager he told me there is nothing he can do about it and it is the fault of the Maltese government. It's amazing how quickly someone's problem can be blamed on someone else. I pointed out that since this is his hotel he has a duty of care to remedy a problem that allows the stench of raw sewage entering his guests accommodation and the adjoining passageways and lift shafts. This was just dismissed with a shrug of the shoulders so I will leave you to draw your own conclusion about their attitude to customer satisfaction.

As an adjunct, my wife invested in a bottle Frebreeze in an attempt to remove the sewage odours. If you're brave (or daft) enough to use this hotel, might I suggest that you come armed with the same.

Room Tip: You need to book a room with a sea view because this hotel is wide at the front and narrow at the ba...
2  Thank British-Gentleman