“great food”

Add it.
Taj Mahal
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 16 April 2013

this indian restaurant is a must when in sliema nice decor and great tasting food at reasonable prices service was excellent and cheery staff well worth the money would go back next time in malta

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Small boutique restaurant having a wide selection of Indian delicacies. Noteworthy is the way the chef maintains that very delicate and subtle balance in the use of spices which truly bring out the flavours without overpowering. Comparatively on the expensive side but a must for the discerning diner!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

My friends and I love Indian food so decided to try this place out. We each ordered different chicken dishes, however when they arrived each dish looked exactly the same, and tasted exactly the same, I was having Chicken Tikka Masala and another friend was having Lemon Chicken however our meals were identical, the food tasted like a curry powder mixed with tomato puree, it was potent. The chicken was so tough, it was impossible to eat.

Starving put unable to eat our meals we started to mix rice with the sauce and dipped the naan bread into the sauce too but the sauce was just dreadful.

In the end when we finally managed to get the waiters attention, though there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant, we asked him to take the food away as it was so bad and requested the bill, which came to nearly €50. We were very surprised at how expensive the meal was especially considering how awful the food was.

We requested that the bill be revisited and explained how awful the food was, we had barely touched our meals. He called who we assumed was the manager and after some shouting and banging of doors which made us feel extremely intimidated we agreed to pay half the bill and literally ran out of the restaurant.

Reviewed 8 October 2011

We enjoy our indian food and have eaten at some award winning restaurants including in India, so this review is written with some knowledge on the subject.
The onion bhaji starter was very light and a little too crisp. I liked it - my wife didn't. It came without any riata so was dry. However, what it did come with was a modern touch - balsamic vinegar reduction swirled around the lip of the serving plate. Odd!
I had a dahl soup which I thought was very good. It had quite a lot of turmeric in it, which is a new one on me! I enjoyed it though.
For mains my wife had a chicken madras, which had dessicated coconut in it. Wrong. It tasted like a curry mix and was a caramel colour.
I had a chicken karai which came in a tiny wok serving dish, which is OK, but it wasn't sizzling and it came in a thick sauce. In my opinion this was a powdered sauce mix. Very poor.
We quizzed the waiter about the anomolies and he told us that 'the chef comes from the punjab and that's how they cook it there...'
The plain pilau rice was fine.
The nan bread was dry and tough - it reminded me of the leftover nan from last night that you eat because you haven't got anything else in.
The chipatti was ok.
The wine was relatively expensive and poor quality. The waiter turned and turned the corkscrew into the cork until it had gone all the way through. He carried on turning it until the handle was about touching the neck of the bottle. He looked confused, so my wife showed him how to open a bottle using a corkscrew.
It cost 46 euros for two simple starters, two chicken mains, one plain rice, one nan, one chipatti and a poor (9 euro) bottle of wine.
We were two of the four people in there at lunchtime. As it was empty we did have oiur reservations. We only went in because we couldnn't find another closeby that was open.
We left feeling very disappointed and slightly cheated.

1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We have been coming to Malta and more specifically the Taj Mahal restaurant on and off for several years. Despite having read some less than favourable reviews on Trip Advisor this year, we thought we'd give it another go as it had been refurbished. I'd have to say, the restaurant itself hasn't gained anything in atmosphere since it's refurb. Gone are the fabric drapes on the ceiling and pictures on the walls, replaced by plain terracotta walls and painted ceiling. The restaurant was empty when we arrived just before 8 on a Sunday in August, but the new staff were polite and seemed fairly keen to please. The lady that served us seemed quite inexperienced, and did miss off part of our order which had to be hurridly cooked while we started the other dishes. The food was nice, not amazing, but not anywhere near as bad as much of what i've read here. My partner had Chicken Jalfrezzi and said the Chicken tasted fine. I did think the bill was quite expensive considering we didn't have a huge amount of food, but it always used to be a bit expensive there even before it changed hands. All in all I would say, if you really want a curry then go - but there are plenty of other places to eat on Malta where you get fantastic food for much less money.