“Malta 1st time”

Preluna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The hotel was advertised as a 4 star but Maltese 4 star is lower than UK rating I am sure. None-the-less overall the staff were friendly and the food for an “Inclusive deal” was acceptable on most days. Local wines and beers were good and the salads were also good from local sourcing.

The room was a little small but acceptable being clean and airy. View to sea was nice.

Building on Malta is everywhere and it’s very hard to avoid a building site or crane..

Small problems

(1) the room kettle did not work. Reported to desk staff and 24 hours later it was still unserviceable. Chatted to (Nadine) the Hotel liaison manager and it was fixed the next day.

(2) the tissue container fell off the wall but was replaced when the kettle was fixed.

Bigger problems.

(1) a hotel or something big, is under construction next to the Preluna. Keeping this in context, as above, it’s hard to avoid any building work on Malta at the moment.

It would have been nice for the hotel to place a warning about this on their website.

The site was noisy when we arrived but stopped work about 4.30 pm each day. Starting again about 7.30 in the morning.

(2) It would have been nice to have a choice of air conditioning in the room. A ceiling fan was okay but some nights it was too hot with the balcony door closed, and too noisy (sea crashing and traffic) with it open.

Thinking it was broken I reported it so, and was told it was turned of centrally.

Room Tip: Facing the sea is nice but noisy.
2  Thank jtuerena
Write a ReviewReviews (2,204)

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Arrived on the 18th October for one week all inclusive. After arriving at this hotel at 23.45 to be greeted be a member of staff talking to his friend moaning about having to work at night and being ignored for some time and then just saying "name" and throwing key card at us, we found our own way to our room.
(Did not pay extra for sea view, if you do stay here you must, unless all you want is a view of wall and no balcony.) Althought the room was adequate the view was of the adjacent wing not far away. Here was the first problem. The hotel is made up of three towers the middle one is being rebuilt. The inside being totally removed. We were awoken by building work before 7.
We then when to reception for safe key to be told if we had got it last we could have had the weekly rate as opposed to the now daily rate (being only six days now) which is more expensive then the week.
We paid and then went to breakfast which was good. (This remained good all week). We then went out for a coffee as there is only one bar to get any drink from and this does not open until after 10. We arrived back at the hotel for our welcome meeting at 10.45 when I went to use the toilet in the lobby and found someone had had an accident all over the floor, I reported this to a member of staff straight away. One hour later this has still not been cleaned up.
After speaking to the rep and one of the managers they moved our room to a slightly less noisy room and then moved us again the following day to an upgraded room. This room was lovely however, having to pack and unpack for the first three days is not ideal.
We also found that although there are three restaurants you can only use the Buffet (Sunday lunch is very nice), there is also an outside coffee bar but again it is not included. The pool bar was also closed and being taken down. The only place you could get a drink during the day was in the lobby with only one person on duty, who like all the staff appeared not to want to be there.
Althought the Rep (Thomas) and Manager (Bertrand) did everything they could to make the stay enjoyable you can not say the same for anyother member of staff at the hotel. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we kept saying to ourselves make the most of it but then something else happened to upset you.
There is another bar that is only open for a few hours in the afternoon and evening where you can get afternoon tea which would be lovely if only you could get service with a smile and receive what you ask for.
We were told by the Rep that we should have been informed that all building work in Malta takes place between October and April the following year and that is why the whole area is a building site. Beware of falling cement from a great height, we witnessed just to the right of the main enterance a very large piece just missing a young man. There after we always crossed over the road before going anywhere.
As everyone knows staff make or break hotels and at this hotel we would suggest that they could all do with a little "attitude adjustment" as the customer is the one paying for the holiday.
One day the maid even put the do not disturb sign on the outside of the door so she did not have to clean the room. (laughable if it was not true.) Sorry to say there are a lot more minor niggles, that mean, that I would not stay here again even if I was offered a free holiday.
Please feel free to email if you have any specific questions.

Room Tip: Must pay for sea view with balcony.
2  Thank romazlovescuba
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My most recent stay was my second time in the hotel - I think it has been taken over by a new operator since my last stay but not a whole lot has changed in the place other than a breakfast area is now in situ at ground floor level. I didn't bother with breakfast in the place so I cannot comment on that.

Ok, it's not a plush hotel by any stretch of the imagination and if it is indeed a 4-star hotel then this rating has been achieved on a technicality. If you wish to have a hotel to lounge around in then this is not the one for you. If you have a family then, again, this is not the hotel for you. If you are looking to impress your other half then, once more, this is not the hotel for you! However, if like me, you are looking for somewhere cheap (I booked through a local dive centre so I secured a very reasonable rate), clean and you do not intend to spend a whole lot of time in the place other than to crash at night then this place is ideal.

Looking at some of the more critical points in some other recent reviews, I would have to say that the most of the points raised are valid. Although, I was quite surprised at the costs quoted in one of the reviews because this was nowhere near what I paid - blame that on the tour operator. If I had have paid the rates quoted in the other review then my expectations would have been far higher and my subsequent review far more critical.

One problem I would have is security. It wouldn't take much effort to break into the room - therefore I never left any valuable items in my room.

Overall, cheap, clean and despite my security concern I did feel safe and I slept soundly. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was cleaned daily.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Seagulls_Fan_Dublin
Reviewed 23 October 2011

While the hotel has many if not all the facilities you would expect of 4 star hotel, the room was very disappointing. It looked more like a 2 star room. Perhaps in its day it was nice, but now it just looks like it's in need of a good refurbish. Luckily we had the chance to tell our views of the hotel to one of the staff that actually goes around asking hotel guests for their feedback. She mentioned that the hotel has just started refurbishing some of the rooms and we got to discuss what we thought 4 star meant. It's the first time I've every come across a staff member doing this and I think it shows the hotel cares about what their guests think.

Apart from the room, the hotel did meet our needs. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great and there is an awesome little Japanese restuarant just downstairs (we ended up eating here twice).

In terms of the area (Sliema), it wasn't as nice as we expected and perhaps there are far nicer areas in Malta to stay. We found in general that the streets were quite dirty and there was a lot of construction going on, making the place not that welcoming.

Valletta was ok, but again dirty. The place we did like was Mdina - lovely little town and we recommend a visit there if you can.

Oh, and one more thing about the hotel, it appeared that it is a "package holiday" hotel - most of the guests were 60+. Maybe in another 30 years, it would be perfect for us :)

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished one, if these are done when you book.
1  Thank cellini03
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We needed somewhere to stay for a night before we drove to Gozo and chose this hotel. The rooms were very dated, the furniture was aging and the bath was stained. Overall I thought it was not a 4 start but perhaps scraped into the 3 star category hotel. Overpriced. Would be even more disappointed had I booked in there for a week - thankfully we left the following day!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed here in July 2011 with my elderly parents, two teenage nieces and my toddler. To be honest I was disppointed from the point of arrival. Unbelievably, we were informed on arrival that our party was split up on to entirely different floors on opposite sides of the hotel. After speaking to the manager about this we were located on the same floor - however i was given a room on the third floor with a balcony....with a two year old. When i raised my concerns about this I was advised I should be happy as it was an upgrade room. Much to my astonishment as I haid paid over £700 for myself for one weeks holiday....in comparisson to my parents £350 approx each. Arguably many of my other complaints regarding my holiday are in relation to our tour operator ignoring our specifications re my mothers mobility etc and therefore can not blame the hotel for that. I can however detail that I found ants in my room on several occasions and was forced to collect some in a hankie for the tour rep who basically said i was lying about this. Much to his surprise when i dropped them onto his desk. I also had to have the head of housekeeping out to look at the levels of cleanliness in my room. With a small child - crawling at the time this was a major concern for me. As the week progressed the manner in which my complaints were addressed by both the hotel staff and the rep deteriorated significantly. I also air caution to any parents with small children......this is NOT a family friendly hotel at ALL. There was no where for my son to play and I was offered a highchair in the restaurant that was all ripped, stained and had no belt to keep him secure. I was appalled by this. The tour reps response....we do not promote ourselves as being family friendly. Thankfully Malta was an amazing place and therefore we spent as little time in the hotel as possible. I would never recommend this hotel to any families.

Room Tip: Dont if you have small children.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We stayed at the preluna the first week in October, and I was uncertain what to expect due to my initial lack of research. Well I needn't had worried. The hotel is situated in the perfect area of Malta, with easy access to the sea front where you can take both boat rides or bus tours. My advice would be to spend the little extra and stay in a superior sea view room. We found the room spacious with your own balcony and wonderful views out across the med. Breakfast was a delight with everything on offer to you. Not only does the hotel house restaurants but you are surrounded by them also! Bus stop just across the road if you feel the need to use it. Although I would recommend not driving in Malta as there appears to be no rules and the sound of a car horn becomes familiar to you soon enough. Staff were exceptionally friendly and for a 5 min discussion with a member of staff in the sky room penthouse about our stay we were offered free drinks! I would personally recommend this hotel to anyone young or old as a well presented place to stay in the most perfect area of Malta. Would I go back? Most defiantly!

• Stayed: October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
115 The Strand Hotel and Suites

Been to Preluna Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!