“Nice relaxing stay, looking forward to visiting again”

Preluna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was our third stay at Preluna. Reading some of the reviews here I really can't imagine what people are expecting. In fact, my only minor irritation was when we tried to book for next year but were told the tariffs hadn't been set yet. But we know who to e-mail so that when they do set the tariffs we can make the arrangements.

Stayed on B&B. The breakfasts are fine - buffet style and you can keep going back. There is an English selection but there are also sliced meats, cheeses, rolls and sweet stuff, as well as fruit and cereals. If a fry-up isn't your scene then you still have no reason to go hungry, Didn't eat lunch or dinner in the hotel as we have several favourite places in Sliema to eat and wanted to revisit them - multiple times....

The bus stops are nearby and it's about ten minutes to Valletta from where you can get a bus to anywhere on the island.

Our room was fine. I don't really expect it to be newly decorated, it's just somewhere to sleep and shower as I haven't travelled to Malta to sit in a room for a week! The standard of cleaning was fine. I have recommended this hotel to several friends and will be taking my father and stepmother there next year. It may not be the total lap of luxury, but I have stayed in far worse places than Preluna.

The lifts may not be the speediest on the planet but they are not as slow as some reviewers would have you believe. If you can't spend an extra three or four seconds getting up 13 floors then you're probably beyond getting less stressed just by being on holiday!

The skyroom is a fabulous place for a late night drink, and Martin the barman remembered us from two years ago which, if you think about the number of faces he must see, is pretty impressive. I thought the prices were a bit cheaper compared to our first stay in 2007, but I could be mistaken!

Overall, I loved it. You can probably tell......!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view. No use not doing this then moaning when you get an inland view!
5  Thank Benjiboots

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Maybe facilities for a 4 star but for quality, in my opinion, struggles to three stars. The staff, in general, are very good and very helpul. When we arrived they were quick to fix the TV that wasn't working, replace the kettle that wouldn't work but failed on getting the air con to cool the room. Had to switch off the air con and just have the fan on. 7 poor night's sleep.
Building work going on either side of the hotel. No real disruption but doesn't look nice.
Had a room at the front with sea views. Very busy road runs along the front. Bus stops very close to the hotel which can be handy.
Breakfast was buffet style with a wide choice. Coffee and fruit juices you get yourself from machines.
The swimming pool was over the road (pedestrian lights right outside the hotel) and turn left.About 50 yards up the road. Bar and toilet facilities. As we were not 'All Inclusive' it was a €3 charge for a sunshade!! Never, ever been charged for this before as a paying guest at a hotel.
Bar on the 13th floor. Good views, reasonable prices and friendly staff. Something going on most nights - singers, quizes - but didn't bother with these. Went to go one night but went straight back down in the lift. In my opinion the louder the noise doesn't mean the better the music.
Overall a bit disappointed as I expected a better hotel.

2  Thank Mancunian1
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Welcome to this old vetust hotel built in the sixties.

This hotel is a gamble. It has 2 parts, an old one and a new one. If they put you in the old part, you're really in for a ride. Here are the major flaws I found in 4 nights at this hotel.
- minibar not working (fixed when informed the reception)
- remote control battery dead ( new inserted, but not checked if the remote was synced with the TV, which was not the case)
- minibar dirty
- no view or sunlight whatsoever
- had to ask reception to activate access to the indoor pool before i could enter. (makes you feel like a second class guest
- outdoor pool closed fo guests at 18.00 because rerented to a third party starting that hour.
- hammam smelly and cold
- airconditioning noisy, was impossible to sleep into it. so chose to sleep in the heat. On notification to the reception they sent someone over who said this was normal for a hotel airconditioning
- walls between rooms very thin. Could hear my neighbour watching the football game on his TV
- Room was very small and totally not as presented on the website.
- Only plus points: the breakfast, which was very complete and English style and the good location for public transport.

Advise to everyone: If you want to book luxury 4 star on Malta, book somewhere else, this hotel is a gamble depending on where they put you.

Room Tip: Ask to be put in the new part of the hotel if you really want to book this hotel, otherwise you'...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Belgomaster
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We arrived after midday and rooms not ready but the check in looked after our luggage, rooms ready about 14.00 so no problem, we were in the tower with sea view but the rooms are very dated and a bit scruffy. the cleaning was ok ish, also the air con was rubbish and we reported it but nothing was done and the ceeling fan soundes like it was going to take off even on slow speed, also there is building work next door that starts at 7.30 in the morningand looks like it been going on for aged. food good for breakfast and plenty of it. we had 3 evening meals in the buffet and all were good, hotel is listed as 4 star and there are plenty of facilitys its not england 4 star if you go with this in mind you will be ok, i would not rush back there but it is popular and very busy so maybe this is the standard for malta as we have stayed at the waterfront hoter 6 years ago and was simular.

Room Tip: get sea view room as the view is good except for the building work next door
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark N
Reviewed 22 June 2012

YIPPEE I arrived in Malta on the 29th May and stopped in this hotel for 7 nights,Brilliant location. I first booked in and they give me a room with no balcony, went down to reception and they where very nice pleasent staff, which changed it with no problems, left my luggage behind reception and had a long stroll to st Julians, I could not believe how much Malta had changed, but it was 27 years ago, I last went. The views where amazing. More comercialised, in silema and St Julians, but I loved it. The room at hotel a little dated, but I was only sleeping and showering there. The maid was great, left her tips, but never took them so just gave her 10 euros when leaving. The staff where all lovely, I said hello and good morning to them and thank you, which is nice to appriciate them, think they respected that. There is plenty to do in the hotel, bar, entertainment room, indoor pool, outdoor pool (which is across the road a little cold) spa treatment, and a GYM, but not for me, YOUR ON HOLIDAY FOR GOD SAKE. I went all inclusive and the food was brilliant and the staff where all ways nice, but I always treat people the way I want to be treated, I JUST LOVED IT AND WOULD DEFENTLEY GO BACK. The gentlemen at the bar where always kind LOVE THEM ALL. I nearly toured the island the first night I got there as I travelled to Vallette then got on wrong bus, great experience, but I do miss the OLD BUSSES. I LOVED MALTA and would go back with no hesitasion. Enjoyed the north and south tour buses and enjoyed the trip to GOZO on the ferry, then the tour round gozo, which was lovely to see. I LOVE the parts of malta where all the locals live, would love to live there as the people are so nice and friendly. You can just catch a bus just out side the hotel. Just catch a bus valletta, then jump on any bus to see different parts of island, which you dont see on the tour buses. BEST HOLIDAY EVER AND I WENT ON MY OWN, which I would defentley DO AGAIN. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHICH MADE MY HOLIDAY SO SPECIAL.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank JulieSmithDonnaSmith
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We spent 3 nights here on our way home from Cyprus and I can honestly say the sea view room was an excellent choice! Check in and out was a breeze and the staff were all very helpful. The rooms are dated as noted in other reviews, but everything was clean and the bathroom was huge! The breakfast buffet was excellent with an excellent assortment of fruits, cheeses, meats and of course standard cooked fare. We enjoyed the proximity to everything locally and thoroughly enjoyed a nightcap in the bar on the rooftop. If you're looking for a modern hotel don't stay here, but if you want a decent room at a good rate then this is the place. I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra on a Sea View!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Colin R
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We spent a pleasant week at this hotel. We had an ordinary room and we did miss the balcony, the room was a good size, clean and a nice bathroom with a very efficient shower. Windows could do with a clean even though there wasn't much of a view! All the staff were helpful. We stayed on an All Inclusive package which was very satisfactory. The food was well cooked, there may have been less choices than we have had in other hotels but the quality compensated. Enjoyed the Skyroom although the entertainment was typical of holiday hotels. Most drinks were included in the package. The swimming pool is across the road, it took a bit of getting used to but it was OK. There was a scum line around the pool tiles - maybe due to it being sea water? The water was cold but soon got used to it. Would I go back? This was our first visit to Malta, the weather was fantastic, the people friendly and we may go back one day. I would recommend this hotel to more mature people - wouldn't take children there though. Overall a good relaxing week and we met some lovely people.

Room Tip: If I went back I would definitely go for a room with a balcony.
4  Thank Sue S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
#11 of 28 in Sliema
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Preluna Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!