“Best Location in Malta, this was a 'good' Hotel.”

Preluna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
London, United Kingdom
“Best Location in Malta, this was a 'good' Hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Last visit:-
12 December 2012 to 09 January 2013 - 28 Night Stay.
I've stayed at this Hotel approximately six or seven times over the past 10 years, with visits of 7/10/21 to 28 night stays booked via Chevron Air Holidays and Malta Direct.

The location of this Hotel is the best in Malta.
However, I feel the Hotel Management need to 'step up'.

The Hotel through the years has been undergoing continuous 'refurbishment'.
To me, as an 'ex-hotelier' I fail to understand why the job's not completed years down the line.

For the stay I was allocated Room 8113.

As the Hotel was quiet, there were few rooms occupied on this floor when I arrived.
The Hotel was installing a 'new lift' and the 8th Floor Lobby was always in need of a good clean.

Room 8113 is a great location in the building with marvellous 'sea views'.
I'd stayed in this room on previous visits, the bathroom had been 'upgraded' but the 'toilet flush' still leaked.

However the room was in need of a good clean too.

The 9th Floor was undergoing refurbishment and my balcony was on a daily basis littered with debris from 9113.

However I must say 'Housekeeping' did clean my room and balcony when I insisted they check my room. They offered to move me to another room but I declined as I'd already unpacked and settled in.

Through the years on visits to Malta I'd stayed at the Diplomat and Park Hotel's.
I moved to the 'Preluna' for better 'food'.

Sadly, in my opinion the 'standard and quality of food' has deteriorated.

I know 'Hotel Management' put huge demands on 'Head Chefs' during periods of 'austerity' and this certainly appears to have been the case during my visit. I felt the 'cold buffet' & general 'quality of food' was not as in previous years.

However, prior to my visit I'd requested 'Room Service' on Xmas Eve and this was delivered.
In fact, the 'cold salad' requested was 'delicious but on reflection I'd paid a Christmas Supplement of £62 and New Year Supplement of £78 so it should have been good.
A small gripe, not condiments on tray.

On a lighter note...............
The Amadeus Choir perform annually at this hotel and they are spectacular.

I'll return to Malta, it's wonderful,but 'sadly' I'm looking for a new hotel.

Cheers.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Thomas D
Preluna S, Guest Relations Manager at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to submit your review on Trip Advisor.

Beside we appreciate you have returned so many times to the Preluna, we regret your most recent stay was less satisfying.

The refurbishment works are implemented to offer up to date, high standard accommodation for our future guests. We believe that continuous improvement is the key to keep up with expectations and to provide satisfying experience again and again for guests who are happy to return. Just like how you used to do before.

We are terribly sorry that you feel you had to experience the wrong side of the improvements.

I personally hope that you will return and now I would like to take the opportunity to provide you my email contact to ensure the best stay so far for the next time (marketing@preluna.com)

Daniel Diosi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is my fifth visit to Malta and my second stay in Sliema. of all the resorts on Malta in my opinion this is probably one of the best situated to visit the main sights of the island,and this hotel is a gem.I booked a seaview room and it is definately worth paying a little extra the views are lovely.The room was clean and spacious and recently refurbished.All the staff are great and very obliging the chefs in the restaurant are a joy mealtimes were a real pleasure.It is a very large hotel and on the top floor is the skyroom with panoramic views over the island this is also where the evening entertainment takes place.There is a good variety from quizzes to singers and something not to be missed is the dancing on a saturday(this takes place in the Venus lounge downstairs).There are tables reserved for guests but it is also open to the locals who know how to enjoy themselves its great fun to watch them let their hair down.While i was there i was lucky enough to get tickets for the Hypogeum if you like historical sights this is a must (it predates the pyramids) and the chambers were hewn from sheer rock by hand using flint like tools and antlers one chamber alone took a thousand years to complete.it was used as a burial site and after you have visited it is only a short walk to the Tarxien temples which is also worth a visit.The bus stop is just outside the hotel and it is worth investing in a weekly ticket these are cheap and will allow you to hop on and off busses and explore the whole island.All in all this is a hotel and a nation well worth a visit the Maltese are lovely people and make you feel very welcome.

Room Tip: A seaview if possible and the higher the better.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank MrandMrsSid
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to place such a fantastic review about the Preluna Hotel & Spa.

We are truly glad you have enjoyed the recently refurbished room and we are very pleased to see that you were satisfied with the location, service of our staff and the facilities we offer.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Preluna, and on behalf of the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I have to agree, Malta has so much interesting places to visit, the island is rich in historical and cultural heritages.

With warm wishes,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

Lovely warm welcome at this hotel. Room wasn't ready however we were offered a complimentary drink and storage if our luggage. Rooms spotless, great sea view ans hotel location is perfect. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank fionamarshall25
Preluna S, Guest Relations Manager at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at The Preluna Hotel & Spa.

We are so pleased that your experience with us was a great one and that you were satisfied with our room and the location.

Whilst looking forward to welcoming you back again we would like to extend our best wishes.

Linkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

We went to Malta for a quick break to get away from the snow and made a last minute booking in the Preluna. I had chosen a sea view room with balcony which was really good. Having arrived in the evening we went to the buffet restaurant in the hotel which was really very good for a buffet restaurant and excellent value. The breakfast buffet was also good and having breakfast overlooking the sea was pleasant.
As it was March, the sea side swimming pool was not open but we were able to enjoy the sun on the roof terrace which is nicely shaded from the sometimes cold wind.

Overall a very good place to stay in Malta.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms with balcony are the best
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RickLjungsbro
Preluna S, Guest Relations Manager at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time submitting your kind review. The sea view rooms are truly good, the scene of the blue sea is wonderful. We are glad you have enjoyed the breakfast and had a good time on the roof terrace. We appreciate your comments very much.

On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to thank you for choosing us and we would be glad to welcome you again!

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

My partner and i have just had a wonderful month at the preluna hotel and really enjoyed our stay, the staff really try to make your holiday a memorable one, the food is great rooms comfortable this is our 8th or ninth year and we look forward to next year. Celia Adams and Alan Durber

Room Tip: rooms in the towers are great especially higher ones
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank celialadams
Preluna, Guest Relations Manager at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Dear Celia and Alan,

On behalf of the team of The Preluna Hotel & Spa, I would like to thank you for choosing us from time to time.

We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the helpful and friendly staff.

Thank you for stay with us and also for sharing your valuable opinion.

We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

There is a lot to like about the Preluna. It is right on the seafront and very well placed for restaurants, buses and walking along the seafront. My room was a good size with a sea view and balcony and well enough equipped but the decor in the rooms and public areas is a bit worn and tired looking and needs to be updated, though I understand there is a rolling refurbishment programme underway but it clearly hadn't reached my room yet. At this time of year (March) about 80% or more of the guests are elderly Brits who have been coming here for years to escape the winter weather at home and so the hotel is really catering for them and as some of them have been coming since the place was almost new, they are very happy with it. But the ground floor bar and lounge areas are quite gloomy with 1960's wood panelling and no natural light so not that great a place to sit. The top floor bar, by contrast, has great views but was hardly used, though maybe that was to do with the time of year and the fact that one of the lifts was being replaced so access was slow. I only ate in the self-service restaurant one night and thought the food was very bland though there was a good selection.
I reckon the 4-star rating is historic and also recognises the facilities: evening entertainment, gym, choice of restaurants and bars. There is wi-fi throughout the hotel and free access at computers in the lobby, but it is painfully slow.
For what I paid, the Preluna was good value and has a lot to offer, but it really is not making the best of itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank allesca
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your valuable comments and we were delighted to read of your stay overall was enjoyable at The Preluna Hotel & Spa. We are appreciating your time to share your feedback and suggestions with us. As we are eager to provide the best experience for every of our guests, contact me personally at marketing@preluna.com so I will be able to assign a refurbished room for your next stay.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Our first visit to Malta and booked 2 weeks at the Preluna. The location was perfect in that it was in a peaceful location, sea views with a great promenade to stroll along. Bus stops were right outside the front door which take you all around the island and even up to Gozo. Approx 10 minute walk to the harbour area with plenty of restaurants and cafe's and if feeling very energetic can talk a walk to St Julien's harbour which took us about 30 minutes (or catch the bus!). The staff were very helpful and attentive. We ignored other comments on Tripadvisor about booking a sea view room but in hindsight I wish we had done. Our room was at the back of the hotel and therefore didn't benefit from the early morning sun. It was also a little more basic than the sea front rooms, laminate flooring and just seemed less inviting generally. We had requested a double room but got a twin with the beds pushed together - however the beds were different heights and one of us always seems to slip down the gap!! Food was self service and cooked to a good standard. Did become a little predictable by the end of the second week as we knew what was coming that evening, but there was plenty of choice. From our time there I would definately say we were in the best location and would happily recommend The Preluna.

Room Tip: See if you can get a good deal on a sea view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AnneJackson1000
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to place this detailed review on Trip Advisor.

Your valuable comments have been noted. For your next stay - if you decide to return, we would like to provide the best experience we can offer. Contact me via marketing@preluna.com so we might be able to welcome you in one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Preluna Hotel & Spa and we hope that you will return again in the future by which time all rooms would have completed the refurbishment program that we are currently undergoing.

With best regards,