“Fantastic holiday :)”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday :)”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let me start by saying a massive thank you to Preluna Hotel for making my holiday a fantastic one :)

Before i left England i would check the Trip advisor site every few days to see what holiday makers were saying about this hotel....I wish i hadn't!!! ...I had an opinion of this hotel before i had even got there based on views/complaints/moans that i had read on here...big mistake

I had booked a all inclusive holiday for a week (1st-8th July) in a standard room no balcony or sea view. We arrived about 4am in the morning and after booking in my first question to reception was can i upgrade my room? The reply i was given was to come back in the morning and they would arrange it for me. When i got to my room (1102...11th floor facing the back of the hotel) i was so pleasantly surprised with the quality of it that my Hubby and decided that although we would love a balcony and sea view room that we really didn't need it and could save the money we had put aside for it in some other way.

The room was of a good size with a huge window looking over the back streets of Sliema. It had twin beds, a table and 2 chairs, dressing table, fridge(with lock), wardrobe, set of drawers, small tv, bedside tables, tea and coffee making facilities, a safe (which is free when all inclusive) and a very clean bathroom.

The room was cleaned every day to a very high standard, always leaving clean towels when indicated( by leaving them in the bath) Housekeepers were nice and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble.

The food is where my personal opinion comes in....Breakfast was wonderful...so much choice, always fresh and of good quality. Lunch time we always ate at the pool...being all inclusive we could choose any food on the menu and we enjoyed every meal we had there ( the rib eye steak encrusted in fresh rosemary just melts in your mouth) The only down side is that most of the meals are served with chips or wedges and by the end of the week it became a bit repetitive...a rice side would have been lovely....Although the food, particularly the meat and fish were of very high quality and cooked beautifully. The evening meal .... at the triton restaurant was not to our taste so we chose to eat out every night. The food remained to the same high quality and cooked very well but the flavours were just not to our palette.

Even so...We ate and drank very well and were very happy with the all inclusive package we received. I would recommend this hotel to all and would be very happy to return here on an all inclusive basis when i return back to Malta...whenever that may be :)

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor it really does reduce the noise from the street
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank upoupoupo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Teignmouth, England
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1-8 July. Check-in a bit slow but all fine. Room clean and comfortable if a bit dated. Stayed on AI basis and food was plentiful, good quality and variety. Odd wine available at lunch/dinner to AI guests but had to pay for it at bars!? Sky room bar lovely in the evening but was only outside bar and entertainment variable in quality (ended up in pub round the corner a couple of evenings) Pool bar and grill nice and plenty of room at time of our stay. Only minor issue was housekeeping not great at replacing tea/coffee and toilet roll but reception very good at providing on request. All in all would return again but not at high season

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Harwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here for a week in June for our anniversary on our first trip to Malta. As you check in we were greeted by very friendly staff. Our room was on the 10th floor - sea view with balcony. A view to die for at sunrise. Tea/coffee making facilities in room. We only stayed on bed/breakfast basis - breakfast wide choice every morning ranging from full English to continental whichever suited. We chose to eat out in the evenings by choice as we like to sample local restaurants. Location cannot be bettered - 5 minute walk through town to harbour area in one direction and a pleasant 20-30 minute walk along the promenade to St. Julian's in the other direction (much more livelier area). We will be back! Everybody very friendly and accommodating and everywhere very affordable. Don't miss a boat trip to Comino and Crystal lagoon great value at 15 euros for a day trip.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room. There is some road and sea noise but with doors closed at night not a probl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve m
newcastle under lyme
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Preluna Hotel in Sliema, Malta.
On arrival at 12.30pm we were given a glass of fresh orange, however we were not able to check in until 2pm, this surprised us as checkout is 11am.
Our bags were placed in the baggage room and we were able to go out and have a look around Sliema. On return at 2.pm we were told our room was still not ready and had to sit in reception for a further 25 minutes.

After checking in we were given the keys to our sea view room on the third floor.
Access to the rooms is by one of two lifts which given the size of the hotel seemed a touch on the small side.
Our room however was a very pleasant surprise. It was spacious and thoroughly clean.
We always check the bathroom first and it was spotless.
There was air conditioning plus a ceiling fan, tea and coffee making facilities, tv and a small fridge.
The view from the balcony was wonderful, and being on the third floor made it ideal for people watching.
There was some noise from the road below but we did not find this a problem and closing the balcony doors blocks out almost all noise.
This side of the hotel gets the sun in the morning and is in shade in the afternoon, which can be quite a relief if the sun gets too much.
During our stay the room was cleaned to a high standard on a daily basis.

We stayed on a half board basis with breakfast being served from 7.15am and evening meal from 6.20pm.
The choice and quality of food was excellent with something to suit every taste.
The dining room was fine and there are a good number of tables with a sea view.
The dining room staff were extremely efficient and cleared and reset tables as soon as they were vacated.
They were sometimes a little too efficient, on one occasion we had two clean saucers taken away before we had chance to put the coffee cups on them.
We were surprised that at the evening meal we had to pay for water.

The Preluna's greatest asset is its staff including reception, dining room and housekeeping,
who were all helpful and very friendly.

There is a taxi rank directly opposite the hotel
There are bus stops outside the hotel, you can get a daily ticket for 1.5 euros (june 2014) which covers you for all journeys on that day, that is a fantastic bargain.

If we go to Malta again we would certainly stay at the Preluna.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view room, preferably on a higher floor as there is less road noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter g
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

looking at previous reviews I think I can say that this review is about the Hotel and not the Travel Company I booked with and which incidently was Chevron, a smaller Company, excellent in every way.
My wife and I had a sea view room on the ninth floor and it was excellent. It was clean, well furnished and a wonderful view. It was cleaned on a regular basis and they even wanted to clean it on the day we were vacating the room prior to our departure.
We have stayed at the Preluna on a previous visit to Malta and booked on a bed and breakfast basis. This was because we had our reservations about the dining room and they were confirmed on our arrival, it had not been updated or altered since our last visit. It is cramped but the breakfast each day was excellent with no complaints.
We would not hesitate returning to the Preluna when again holidaying in Malta and would again go on a bed and breakfast unless something was done to sort out the cramped dining room. Had the dining room have been better, as it should be, I would have given a Five Star rating.

Room Tip: Most be a seaview room and do not expect to be able to upgrade on arrival as they are in high demand...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CliveHBingley
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We got married at the Preluna hotel on the 4th July in the sky room. The Preluna hotel went above and beyond to making it a lovely day we will always cherish.
Could not thank Mark one of the managers and Christabelle for taking the time to contact us and ask for a meeting to ensure everything on the day would be perfect.
The staff were excellent especially the bar man Darren who came in on his day off on the day of our wedding and for taking pictures and making sure everyone had a drink and was happy..
Everything about this hotel was superb from the food, rooms service and the location. The views at night on the sunroof watching fireworks with our cocktails made by John ( and yes John he will bring me back for our first anniversary ) really made for a lovely special wedding and holiday with our family. Thank you so very much, Dean & Viv

Room Tip: Recommend upgrading to a sea view room, you won't regret it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Wow,wow,wow, where do I start?
I have been visiting Malta for over 40 years and have never experienced such contempt with regards to my complaint. Or even the lack of contact from a travel company rep. Thomas Cook, on this occasion.
I arrived at the hotel today, expectations of a lovely room. Paid a lot of money for sea view upgrade. No where up to standard. Daughters bed has no pillows and several dirty stains on the bedding. Room is very dated.
Paid for an all inclusive with very restricted access to food and drinks. Arrived this afternoon quite hungry after the long journey, we went for something to eat,we were told we had to pay!
all inclusive, I need to redefine my understanding of the definition of the word.
Spoke to the hotel, unable to help me as I need to speak to the Thomas cook representative.
I telephoned his mobile on 3 occasions,to no avail, I rang the local office, no answer!
I even called the complaints dept in England. I was told "call and complain when you get back from your holiday"
According to the Thomas cook hotel manual, it stated that the rep would be in the hotel at 5.45 pm for 1 hour, I sat and waited. Guess what? No rep from Thomas cook.
I look forward to the morning, looks like my only option is to visit the tourist board to get my complaint both listened to and sorted out.
What a shocking start to a long awaited holiday. This problem could have been easily rectified but nobody in the hotel, even the manager wanted to take the responsibility of dealing with it.
Thomas cook, well, feels More like Thomas Crook, as I am feeling well and truly robbed of my holiday.

Room6409

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank Carmen H

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels