“A Nice Hotel”

Preluna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have entitled this review a nice hotel because that's exactly what the Preluna Hotel is. Nice hotel, nice friendly helpful staff, especially the reception, though not so much the older male waiters and chefs who always seemed to look a bit grumpy, nice room and nice food (though we only had breakfasts). My wife and I chose this hotel based on the reviews in Trip Advisor. I did, as I always do, and ignored the '1's' that tend to be written by people who have only written one review before and especially if they fly in the face of other reviews. I also like to take into account value for money. If I had paid £200 a night, rather than around £100, B&B then my score would have been 2-3, not 4. If you are looking for a clean, nice, friendly hotel in the middle of Sleima, right on the water front with clean rooms and great views and okay food at a reasonable price then don't hesitate. I would say that I would return myself, except I won't, but that's not the fault of the hotel but of Malta that is not the place it was 14 years ago when I first visited. It was holiday and culture and history then and reasonable quiet. Now is more Benidorm. Based on what people had said I emailed the hotel and asked for a sea view room on the 12th floor. This is what I got and to wake up every morning to these views was fantastic. The room itself has obviously been recently refurbished to a high standard and the single beds were huge and very comfy. Even on the 12th floor it could be a bit noisy at night but if you want to be central to everything, especially the buses, that's the price you pay. The only two negatives about the room were the wait for the lifts to get to the 12th floor and the balcony rail. I should emphasise that the rail is safe and is as solid as a rock, albeit glass and aluminium. It's the height of the rail that was my concern. It's 3 foot high. As I am 6 foot 4 inches it meant that my tummy button was about 7 inches above the top of the rail, try it sometime! The jewel in the crown is the 13th floor bar on the roof. The views are fantastic. Breakfast was all the usual fair, hot and cold food, always the same but a big selection and plenty of it. It was also nice to sit and have breakfast while looking out over the Med. If you chose the Preluna I'm sure you will enjoy it. We did.

As I get the feeling that the management read Trip Advisor reviews the next part is specifically for them. The bit I mentioned about the rail was serious for someone my height and it would have taken very little for me to have toppled over. Also my room was very well appointed with great new beds and furniture etc. I just wonder why you then spoil it by getting poor decorators in who paint over skirting and door surround edges and don't bother finishing properly inside the cupboards. It seems such a false economy. I mentioned the jewel in the crown, the Sky Lounge on the 13th floor. I know money may be tight but it could be such a wonderful place to sit and enjoy but for a few things. The lighting is terrible. You suffer for the curse of all hotels these days, low energy bulbs. This gives the effect of the inside area looking like a bland airport departure lounge and the outside area of looking a slightly yellowy grey. Change the metal and plastic tables and chairs in the outside area for cushioned wicker chairs and glass topped wicker tables. get bright LED table and standard lamps to spread about instead of the ceiling lights, same in doors with the lights. More plants, maybe even some trellis work to break it up and some tastefully small twinkly fairy lights draped around. It would then be a place that everyone would want to come to, not just guests. These are just ideas of an experienced guest and I have no qualification or experience in that area so please feel free to ignore them.
Anyway many thanks for a really nice holiday.
ps the bedroom maids were brilliant.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view near the top.
6  Thank OldScotsBloke
There are newer reviews for Preluna Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 18 July 2014

had a really great time ,only thing we where told we had a double room which was actually twin beds pushed together, and made with wrong size sheets, wasn't a problem as I made them into two beds ,but each time the maid came in she kept making it back into one bed !I mentioned it to the staff but still happened !!the staff where really nice. the out door pool is over the road and past the the little fort and not the one you see on the pictures very good food by the pool very nice. jelly fish in the sea will sting but not too bad .the indoor pool is very warm but hard to find. and the lifts take a bit of getting used to . not too happy at having to sign for every item , but location is excellent .would stay again

2  Thank cheza21
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just returned from the Preluna hotel in sliema this was our third visit to Malta and the second stay at the Preluna. The hotel boasts a four star rating but I would say three star plus We had a sea view room and boy what a view the room are nice and large and cleaned daily with fresh towels etc we stayed on a half board basis and as ever we were impressed with the value, Meals are served in the second floor restaurant in a buffet style environment .The next comment may offend some readers but its just my opinion people who can not be bothered to get dressed for dinner (evening meal) should stick to camping the hotel dose have a dress code for a evening but dose not seem to enforce it but don't let this put you off There is entertainment in the hotel every night in the sky room bar some nights good the other nights well lets say ok all the staff are very friendly and helpful .The million dollar question is would I go back and the answer is YES nice hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: If possible get the sea view room they are a little noisy of the busy road but the views make up for...
2  Thank ewh37
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Have been here for the last 5 days and really enjoying our relaxation time.
Cannot fault the hotel as everything has been great till now.

Was really impressed with the Japanese Restaurant called Sakura and will surely return and also write a review about it. Recommend that you try it out and yes it does stand out.

Room Tip: If you are here in summer, suggest that whilst at the hotel's Beach club you also have a dip in...
2  Thank Malti P
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let me start by saying a massive thank you to Preluna Hotel for making my holiday a fantastic one :)

Before i left England i would check the Trip advisor site every few days to see what holiday makers were saying about this hotel....I wish i hadn't!!! ...I had an opinion of this hotel before i had even got there based on views/complaints/moans that i had read on here...big mistake

I had booked a all inclusive holiday for a week (1st-8th July) in a standard room no balcony or sea view. We arrived about 4am in the morning and after booking in my first question to reception was can i upgrade my room? The reply i was given was to come back in the morning and they would arrange it for me. When i got to my room (1102...11th floor facing the back of the hotel) i was so pleasantly surprised with the quality of it that my Hubby and decided that although we would love a balcony and sea view room that we really didn't need it and could save the money we had put aside for it in some other way.

The room was of a good size with a huge window looking over the back streets of Sliema. It had twin beds, a table and 2 chairs, dressing table, fridge(with lock), wardrobe, set of drawers, small tv, bedside tables, tea and coffee making facilities, a safe (which is free when all inclusive) and a very clean bathroom.

The room was cleaned every day to a very high standard, always leaving clean towels when indicated( by leaving them in the bath) Housekeepers were nice and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble.

The food is where my personal opinion comes in....Breakfast was wonderful...so much choice, always fresh and of good quality. Lunch time we always ate at the pool...being all inclusive we could choose any food on the menu and we enjoyed every meal we had there ( the rib eye steak encrusted in fresh rosemary just melts in your mouth) The only down side is that most of the meals are served with chips or wedges and by the end of the week it became a bit repetitive...a rice side would have been lovely....Although the food, particularly the meat and fish were of very high quality and cooked beautifully. The evening meal .... at the triton restaurant was not to our taste so we chose to eat out every night. The food remained to the same high quality and cooked very well but the flavours were just not to our palette.

Even so...We ate and drank very well and were very happy with the all inclusive package we received. I would recommend this hotel to all and would be very happy to return here on an all inclusive basis when i return back to Malta...whenever that may be :)

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor it really does reduce the noise from the street
3  Thank upoupoupo
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1-8 July. Check-in a bit slow but all fine. Room clean and comfortable if a bit dated. Stayed on AI basis and food was plentiful, good quality and variety. Odd wine available at lunch/dinner to AI guests but had to pay for it at bars!? Sky room bar lovely in the evening but was only outside bar and entertainment variable in quality (ended up in pub round the corner a couple of evenings) Pool bar and grill nice and plenty of room at time of our stay. Only minor issue was housekeeping not great at replacing tea/coffee and toilet roll but reception very good at providing on request. All in all would return again but not at high season

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here for a week in June for our anniversary on our first trip to Malta. As you check in we were greeted by very friendly staff. Our room was on the 10th floor - sea view with balcony. A view to die for at sunrise. Tea/coffee making facilities in room. We only stayed on bed/breakfast basis - breakfast wide choice every morning ranging from full English to continental whichever suited. We chose to eat out in the evenings by choice as we like to sample local restaurants. Location cannot be bettered - 5 minute walk through town to harbour area in one direction and a pleasant 20-30 minute walk along the promenade to St. Julian's in the other direction (much more livelier area). We will be back! Everybody very friendly and accommodating and everywhere very affordable. Don't miss a boat trip to Comino and Crystal lagoon great value at 15 euros for a day trip.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room. There is some road and sea noise but with doors closed at night not a probl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple