“A Reasonable Mix”

Preluna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I liked the Preluna but few would call this place a four star. Three would be appropriate.

There was a problem or two when I arrived. I was arriving late, but, I called (not cheap) in the afternoon from Sicily to say so, and they should hold my room. At 11:30 at night, I arrived, very tired, and they had no reservation for me. I had thought there might be two hotels with the same name - like a Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express.. and the fellow got "snippy" with me. Later they found me a room, but I still complained the next day.

The real test of a hotel is how they respond if you have a problem. The manager, a fellow named Marc Abela, was excellent at smoothing out the wrinkles. Kudos. I would stay there again - because the management was intent on making my stay positive after the rough arrival.

Location was great - very near beaches, restaurants and night life. There is a pool, a spa, and the food is plentiful at breakfast (and dinner if you choose). Other than my initial reception, the staff was first class. Air conditioning worked well, but it is only in the rooms. You will sweat in the lobby in summer. The hotel is outside Valletta, which is either good or bad depending on how long you are in Malta. You can see Valetta in a day or two...so do you want to be near all the cruise ships and touristy stuff if you plan a longer stay? I suppose not.

The rooms and furnishings were a bit dated. The elevator was slow and the floors marked differently on the button than on the lighted number above the door. The wifi was weak in my room, but they changed my room and the wifi was excellent. As I said, I would stay there again - but don't expect a four star.

Room Tip: Wifi was weak in several areas, good in a few areas. Ask for a room with good reception.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fluglotse1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,208)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel early june with my two teenagers. Lots and lots of elderly people might not be the the best place with kids.

The standard room was not so nice and they did not allow us to change even if I was willing to pay extra. The a/c did not work properly.

The location was good though. But not to be rated as a four star hotel more like three star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid standar room -go for the one with sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Thco40
Reviewed 19 August 2014

If you're looking for location I think this hotel is great, close to the water, close to the shopping and not far from the busy action. However it is an old hotel and it's certainly showing it's age, reception area's are dated and dark and rooms are pretty rough and ready nothing a spruce up wouldn't fix but it's certainly nothing more than average. Can't honestly say I found the staff all that helpful, it was often a wait at reception if you had an issue to discuss.

4  Thank ayejay
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Myself , my husband and our two children stayed for 9 nights from 7th August , on arrival, the lift was broken and had to wait whilst it was being fixed. Eventually after over an hour sitting at the bar we were brought back outside ,up a side street to a "sister hotel" put in a tiny lift with all our baggage and brought to our room, completely different to the room we saw on website!! Room was half the size we expected, years older than it looked on website and with an air conditioning system from hell!!!! Considering we paid almost €1800 for "room only" it was not at all worth the money! Most of the staff were unhelpful and totally unfriendly especially a bar man called Vince! Rude, rude, rude, should NOT be working with in the hospitality industry ! However, Anthony the other bar man was a complete joy and a firm favourite with my children, took time out to chat and a true gentleman, Vince could learn from him! Will not be back to preluna but will definitely be back to Malta! Absolutely LOVED IT!!! Beautiful island ..... Joanne & David... Dublin

Room Tip: Ask if your room is in new or old area of hotel, if in old area, don't bother!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from a 5 day holiday at Preluna. We're a couple age of 22yr & 23yr.
When we booked the holiday we were given a standard room with no balcony, well I wasn't to happy about this, so on check in I asked if we could have a balcony and the nice man made a few call and we got a balcony, even if the view wasn't lovely.
Food was lovely and lots to choose from.
The pool which is just across the road is nice but not enough sunbeds. It really does need to up its game on the gardening, some beautiful plants would of made the pool area so much nicer then the desert feel.
Location is great with shops just outside of the hotel and a 5-10 min walk to the ferry port.
Valletta is a place to go for the day for everyone, such an amazing and historical city.
Please upgrade on the wifi, connection is awful.
Would we come back? Yes with a doubt!
Thank you Preluna.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I am just back from a weekend at this spa hotel. Yes it is old, yes the location is great and yes the staff very good. 4 star stretches the imagination but not overly so. Be warned that the hairdressers is probably the worse I have ever been to. My delicate colour treated hair was subject to the roughest, scrubbiest hair wash in its life and I could feel strands breaking off. The blow dry was even worse with the girl standing back and literally pulling my air under the dryer. I only wanted it put up for the evening like a bun - she struggled but in fairness managed quite a good one. the cost of the torture was €45 which is extortionate. In Greece and at home I usually pay no more than €25. I am sure my hair is thinner than before- I should have said something at the time and regret I did not.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony and order the mini bar as soon as you get there - check fridge works. Be wary if us...
5  Thank Jac1AR
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My cousin has just stayed at the Preluna during which time he had to be hospitalised for an emergency condition. I have nothing but praise for the way the hotel handled the situation, both during the emergency and after my cousin returned to continue his vacation.

The Preluna staff went far beyond professional standards - their patience and caring was beyond belief in spite of all our phonecalls, our relative's various needs and our cancellations and re-bookings.

The room was well-decorated - it had obviously been refurbished - and much more spacious than most city hotels. The seaview is to die for and breakfasts were generous, offering an excellent selection. Still it is the value, service and genuine welcome that the Preluna gives to its guests that make it stand out - well done Preluna staff!

Room Tip: Choose a seaview room.
5  Thank Baroque5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
115 The Strand Hotel and Suites

Been to Preluna Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!