“First Stay in Malta”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“First Stay in Malta”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Arrived from the airport using the great Malta bus service (always a bit late and slower than they say but very cheap 12 Euros for a week bus pass)and got dropped off just outside the hotel. Reception were always friendly and helpful and we were given a choice of 2 rooms. We picked 6th floor great views, but no balcony, but quieter. Many of the hotels have great sea views but the very busy main road runs in front of them. We did experience some road noise but liked the location of the hotel. There were plenty of restaurants and a lovely walk way all round the coast. It was close to some good shopping 'The Point' and there was a regular ferry service over to Valletta.
The room was small, adequate and clean and they provided a full buffet breakfast, cereals, cold meats and cooked breakfast, only criticism was, the tinned fruit rather than fresh fruit. They had a small plunge pool and lounge area on the roof.
We spent three nights there at the beginning of the holiday before meeting family in Melliha but chose to return there for our last day as we liked the area.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor because of traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Laragh, Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I recently holiday-ed in Malta for one week and stayed at the Carlton, Silema.

We arrived at around 9.30pm and our check-in was swift and informative. Our room was on the 5th floor and there is the teen-y tiniest lift you'll ever see in your life. Great so that you don't have to haul suitcases upstairs. Not so great if you're claustrophobic or over 6' tall.

Our room was O.K. There is Air Con which makes things very comfortable. There was one double bed and one single (we requested a twin) but it was fine. Maybe a room with two single beds would've been better for two twenty-somethings with copious holiday 'essentials' but to be fair the Hotel didn't know this. The bathroom was very spacious and clean.

On getting ready for bed I discovered a stain on my sheet. I don't want to be too graphic and I try to remain impartial and state the facts in my reviews but this was very nasty, very identifiable and very clear that is was fresh. I called reception and was told I could come and collect a fresh sheet and change the bed myself. I stated that this wasn't really acceptable and I would rather House-keeping change the sheet the next day. I said I was O.K with sleeping in the double bed with my friend as it was late and we were tired from traveling. At no point was I offered an apology or to change rooms. I believe I reported the incident to the Manager.

Breakfast was a little bit questionable also and the breakfast room a little bit dull and VERY small even though there is a sensational view.
There was cereals, bread, tinned fruit, yogurt, eggs, bacon, beans and sausages, tea, coffee and juice.
The food lacked quality and was cheap. breakfast finished at 9.30 (a little bit too early for holiday go-ers) and upon a late arrival one morning (approx. 9.20) we were told in no un-certain terms to be earlier the next day.

There is a tiny pool to match the tiny lift. It's not great but it was nice for a swim in the evening before dinner. There are a lot of pools along the Water Ffront belonging to other hotels but I believe you can just pay to use them even if you're not a guest.
On the Plus side the reception staff (I believe I encountered 4) were efficient and informative.
The Hotel was very Central with an ATM right outside, a Tour Operator selling various trips and tickets and the bus stop literally at the front door. There was a superb restaurant directly across the street ( I forget the name) and a Hotel a few doors up with a gorgeous café/snack bar outside called Cara's.

The main bar/night club strip is within walking distance and there is also an array of places to eat there too. Malta is very beautiful and Valetta (the Capitol) is an amazing City and easily accessible by bus from the hotel. Public Transport is cheap and efficient.

So in terms of location this is top notch but a little bit sketchy elsewhere.
I'm not really one for re-visiting the same place, because my travels are limited enough so I like to expand my Horizons! but if I did decide to return in a few years I probably would not re-visit the Carlton.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tara M
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel 10th - 15th October 2012, my partner and myself. The hotel staff were always happy and very helpful, even when our shower flooded the hotel landing. The rooms are spacious and clean with working air con. The balcony is quite small but the sea view is amazing. It's quite noisy from the road if the balcony doors are open, but that didn't worry us. Greatest restaurant we found was Scruples which served lovely fresh fish, good measure of baccardi and coke and very reasonable. Bus trips are very relaxing but we found quite boring sometimes. The fishing village is a must though, it stops here where there is a small market and again great fresh fish which you can eat for lunch at the waters edge. Perfect location to walk easily into St Julians if you want a place more lively, but we had a great holiday and have already booked to return next year in May

Room Tip: Sea View is a must
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed here for a week commencing the 14th October,the room was basic but clean,good maid service,great Staff very polite and helpful,well worth the money paid.The only downside was the noise from traffic due to the windows not being double-glazed.

Brighton
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Firstly the good points:

Location - situated right on the promenade, in walking distance of some lovely restaurants and bars, rocky beach over the road which is fantastic for snorkelling and sunbathing, and bus stops right outside which connect you with the rest of the island, the airport and Valletta.

Breakfast - The breakfast is varied with lots of options, and served on one of the top floors with lovely views over the bay.

Staff - Staff are very pleasant and speak good english, and are very helpful.

Bad Points

Rooms - our room had a very funny smell, all the walls were stained or marked with mildew and mould. The bathroom was large but the shower curtain did not fit leading to floods that would reach out into the main bedroom. Only remedy was to waste a towel by putting it next to the shower tray to catch the water spillage. Our wardrobe door was broken, the drawers were also broken. We requested a sea view room, which did have a balcony but as we were only on the second floor could only really see trees. The door to the balcony did not shut properly, which was not a problem until one very windy night which meant it rattled very loudly all night waking us up.

Lift - the lift is an absolute death trap, we would not use it and used the stairs. Being on the second floor this was not too much of an issue apart from when going to breakfast when we had to walk five flights of stairs.

Luggage Store - before we booked we emailed the hotel and asked if they had a luggage store facility as we had a late flight on the day of checkout, we were advised that they did provide this. When we checked out, they did let us leave our luggage but in the corner of the internet cafe which is also open to the public. when we asked if this would be secure (doubtful) we were told no one could walk out with our cases as they have to go past reception, nothing stopping someone having a good rifle around though.

Didnt use the pool on the top floor. All in all, if you are on a budget, and spend most of your day sightseeing and then go out in the evening, its not too bad. If you are someone who like to spend time in your hotel, I would recommend staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Use mini market round the corner for inexpensive bottles of water, or pay one euro fifty for a small...
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Before you read this please note I am basing my review on what I paid for the hotel, not pitching it against a 5* like some do. I’m a very open minded traveller who does not expect the comforts of home everywhere I go.

The hotel is in a great location, right on the front, where there are plenty of sunbathing spots. Hotels further round the bay had a more marina/harbour frontage with boats and no sunbathing areas.

The hotel entrance was modern and well lit. We saw 4 or 5 different people working on reception and they all spoke very good English.

There was an internet ‘cafe’ though the ‘cafe’ was actually vending machines. It cost €2.5 for an hour’s internet but if you did not use it all in one session you could use the balance another time.

The lift was TINY, but enough room for two people and luggage.

There was no bar or food options other than breakfast.

Bedrooms:
The first room we were given was room 67 – if you are put on this floor ask to be moved, we were right next to the restaurant which opened at 7.30am and was really noisy. Also rooms on this floor don’t have a proper balcony, just a big window and a grill so you don’t fall out!
Moving rooms was no fuss at all, we were accommodated straight away, moved to room 45 which had 3 beds. This room did have a small balcony with room for one chair, it’s not really one of those balconies where you can both sit out on a night... one at a time please!
Our bedroom was large and modern. It had a wardrobe that had 2 drawers, a dressing table, one bedside table and a chair. There was aircon. The lack of storage became frustrating at the times. With only 2 small drawers there was no where to put what I call your ‘junk’, you know things like books, hair straightners, camera leads etc and we ended up just piling these on the spare bed.
The bathroom was large with sink, loo and bath, the bath had a hand held shower attached (no where to hang it). Our first room had been a shower only.
The maid came every day and made the bed, towels were changed daily, the sheets were changed but I’m not sure how often, the room and bathroom were given a wipe round. There was a ‘bedspread’ (is that the right word?) on the bed and I was nervous that it had probably not been washed since the last occupant and doubted it would be washed for the next.
Overall the rooms were pretty clean but the mildew and discolouration had started creeping into the bathroom, round the bath which was disappointing as I have stayed at a lot of budget hotels who manage to keep these bits clean.

Restaurant
The restaurant is on the 6th floor and is only open for breakfast. We indulged once, €4each. There was the usual bread, jams, cheese, ham, eggs and cereal. Plus tea coffee juice etc. Plus a hot selection of bacon, sausage and eggs.

Pool
The pool was TINY, the hotel website photos have clearly caught this at a good angle but in reality it was very small, not even enough room to do one stroke. It was a plunge pool. It was also not very clean. It was cloudy and you could not see the bottom.
The pool area had 7 sun beds, though there was room for probably twice as many, plus three tables and chairs. The ground was Astroturf which was odd, but ok.
We actually sunbathed up there a few times and it is sheltered from the wind more than the open areas on the rocks., but overall it was poor, not well maintained or welcoming.

Public areas.
the ground floor of the hotel was small, so not much to report but I must say that the stairs and landings could have been cleaner. I was scared of the lift so took the stairs, when this involved high heels or wet feet I took my shoes off only to discover that my feel were black by the time I got to my room. Reception was kept clean.
Overall I think it was OK, i doubt we would go back to Malta but if I did and could not afford a 5* then I would stay here again. Its probably better in the summer when more of the beach clubs are open so that you don’t need to use the ‘pool’ but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and I think we did OK for our money (€40 per night)

Room Tip: ask for a room on floors 1-4, there are no balcones on 6 or 7 and 5 is right under the resturant.
1 Thank BamMargera
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We have been staying at the hotel for the past week.this hotel is value for money. It is situated in the heart of Sleima.The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast is good. This hotel is all you need when you are on holidays.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family