“Above expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Above expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

The hotel was as represented, the room was perfectly acceptable, nothing fancy but clean and serviceable with an amazing view of the bay. Carl at the front desk was very helpful and a wonderful source of local information. Free WiFi was great for email but a bit slower for anything that required more bandwidth (skype etc).

Room Tip: There was street noise on the second floor but I enjoyed the sound of the traffic passing by. I wou...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dirkster99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

The prestigious name of the Hotel made me think that I'll be staying in a luxury hotel. I knew however that I shouldn't expect too much as I paid 45euros for 3 nights (during the winter period).

The room are nothing special, clean though. The bed was not really comfy...

The location is really nice though, based in Sliema next to the sea.

Room Tip: Opt for the sea view!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sophie_612
Colchester, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

Upon arrival at the Carlton Hotel in Sliema, we were informed that sadly there was a plumbing problem with in our allocated Rooms and that we were being located to another Hotel in St. Julian’s Bay called the St. Julian’s Hotel and that a Taxi would be arranged to take us there free of charge.

Upon arrival at the St. Julian’s Bay Hotel it took some time to establish as to why we were actually there by the Reception Staff. Eventually we were allocated a Room on 6th Floor overlooking a side street.

Having settled ourselves in at the Julian’s Hotel, having had a disturbed nights sleep due to the Drunken Juveniles staying there. We decided to go down for Breakfast consisting of: Stale Rolls, Processed Ham, Processed Burger Cheese, Boiled Eggs, Wilting Salad, Broken Biscuits, Orange Squash and plenty of Flies. Which was less than Satisfactory. So from this point forward we decided to pay for Breakfast elsewhere at additional cost.

We then decided to spend some time around the Hotel Swimming Pool located on the opposite side of a busy Main Road. When we arrived we were informed that the Pool was actually nothing to do with the Hotel and it would cost us €6 Euro per person per day for a Sunbed and use of the Pool (€84 Euro per week for us both).

During our stay at the St. Julian’s Hotel, absolutely nobody from the Carlton Hotel came to see us to establish if we were Ok or Happy with our alternative accommodation, which we felt was pretty poor.

To conclude: We wouldn't book to stay at the Carlton Hotel ever again or recommend the St. Julians Bay Hotel to stay at either!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Miles M

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Had a nice week at the Carlton Hotel in early November 2012. This was our first visit to Malta and we were a bit apprehensive having read some critical reviews of this hotel, but we needn't have worried. I'd requested a room with a sea view on the 4th floor and we were given room 47 which had a great view across the bay. The en-suite bathroom was fine and whilst the bedroom was basically furnished it had all the essentials you'd expect to find.

A self-service breakfast was available up on the 6th floor and there's a rooftop area for sitting in the sunshine. There's also a very small pool for cooling off in during the hotter months, but it's not big enough to swim in. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

A big plus is its central location right on the seafront. The public bus service stops just outside the hotel and buses run at 15 minute intervals all day to everywhere on the island. Alternatively, it's a short stroll to the St Julian's Bay area or along the huge promenade in the opposite direction to the shops and restaurants in Sliema.

There are undoubtedly flashier, better equipped hotels in Sliema, but the Carlton represents good value for money for those on a budget.

Room Tip: A sea view room is essential. It will be a bit noisier than those at the back but the view is worth...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lindaanddavef
Uppsala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

Hotel Carlton is situated right at the sea front and has a great view from the breakfast room on the sixth floor. The hotel has a swimming pool on the roof terrace.

The rooms are spacious with a comfortable double bed, en suite bathroom (shower), a writing desk and a small balcony. If you come from a country with standard European electric plugs you need to bring, or buy, an adapter because here you'll find UK plugs. Bring also shower geI and shampoo as you'll only find soap in the bath room.

I stayed here a week in November 2012 and paid 154 euros (22 euros a night) including breakfast. I paid the equivalent for two nights when visiting Edinburgh in October so you do get good value for money.

The breakfast is served 07:30 - 09:30 and consists of tea, coffee, bred, butter, jam, honey,ham, cheese, yoghurt, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages an beans in tomato sauce so you could skip lunch.

The people in the reception were all smiles, friendly and helpful but I didn't like when one of the cleaning ladies banged, not once but twice, on my door to ask if I wanted my room cleaned today. Well, I'm not the person to let her off her duties.

Take the X2 bus from the airport to the bus stop "Antik" in Sliema and you'll find the hotel just across the steet. A single fare is 2,20 euros but do buy a 7 day ticket for 12 euros even if you're only staying 3-4 days. Get a bus map and you will find that you can go places from Sliema without passing Valletta main bus station. You'll find information on the Arriva web site.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank __Joh__Ye
Exmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

Arrived from the airport using the great Malta bus service (always a bit late and slower than they say but very cheap 12 Euros for a week bus pass)and got dropped off just outside the hotel. Reception were always friendly and helpful and we were given a choice of 2 rooms. We picked 6th floor great views, but no balcony, but quieter. Many of the hotels have great sea views but the very busy main road runs in front of them. We did experience some road noise but liked the location of the hotel. There were plenty of restaurants and a lovely walk way all round the coast. It was close to some good shopping 'The Point' and there was a regular ferry service over to Valletta.
The room was small, adequate and clean and they provided a full buffet breakfast, cereals, cold meats and cooked breakfast, only criticism was, the tinned fruit rather than fresh fruit. They had a small plunge pool and lounge area on the roof.
We spent three nights there at the beginning of the holiday before meeting family in Melliha but chose to return there for our last day as we liked the area.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor because of traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Laragh, Wicklow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

I recently holiday-ed in Malta for one week and stayed at the Carlton, Silema.

We arrived at around 9.30pm and our check-in was swift and informative. Our room was on the 5th floor and there is the teen-y tiniest lift you'll ever see in your life. Great so that you don't have to haul suitcases upstairs. Not so great if you're claustrophobic or over 6' tall.

Our room was O.K. There is Air Con which makes things very comfortable. There was one double bed and one single (we requested a twin) but it was fine. Maybe a room with two single beds would've been better for two twenty-somethings with copious holiday 'essentials' but to be fair the Hotel didn't know this. The bathroom was very spacious and clean.

On getting ready for bed I discovered a stain on my sheet. I don't want to be too graphic and I try to remain impartial and state the facts in my reviews but this was very nasty, very identifiable and very clear that is was fresh. I called reception and was told I could come and collect a fresh sheet and change the bed myself. I stated that this wasn't really acceptable and I would rather House-keeping change the sheet the next day. I said I was O.K with sleeping in the double bed with my friend as it was late and we were tired from traveling. At no point was I offered an apology or to change rooms. I believe I reported the incident to the Manager.

Breakfast was a little bit questionable also and the breakfast room a little bit dull and VERY small even though there is a sensational view.
There was cereals, bread, tinned fruit, yogurt, eggs, bacon, beans and sausages, tea, coffee and juice.
The food lacked quality and was cheap. breakfast finished at 9.30 (a little bit too early for holiday go-ers) and upon a late arrival one morning (approx. 9.20) we were told in no un-certain terms to be earlier the next day.

There is a tiny pool to match the tiny lift. It's not great but it was nice for a swim in the evening before dinner. There are a lot of pools along the Water Ffront belonging to other hotels but I believe you can just pay to use them even if you're not a guest.
On the Plus side the reception staff (I believe I encountered 4) were efficient and informative.
The Hotel was very Central with an ATM right outside, a Tour Operator selling various trips and tickets and the bus stop literally at the front door. There was a superb restaurant directly across the street ( I forget the name) and a Hotel a few doors up with a gorgeous café/snack bar outside called Cara's.

The main bar/night club strip is within walking distance and there is also an array of places to eat there too. Malta is very beautiful and Valetta (the Capitol) is an amazing City and easily accessible by bus from the hotel. Public Transport is cheap and efficient.

So in terms of location this is top notch but a little bit sketchy elsewhere.
I'm not really one for re-visiting the same place, because my travels are limited enough so I like to expand my Horizons! but if I did decide to return in a few years I probably would not re-visit the Carlton.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends