“Great time”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just come back from a week here, if you like exploring and seeing everything this is the perfect hotel. It's in a great place right in the middle of everything, and a bus stop just outside. The staff are all really friendly and helpful, they give you lots of info when you arrive and will help you at anytime with bus times and numbers. We were in room 10 first floor at the back of the hotel, nice big room and very clean. It was good being at the back as we went to bed quite early and up early in morning. Road outside quite busy so would have been noisy at front on the first floor. Breakfast was lovely lots of choice hot and cold, so suited both of us. The only thing I missed was having a coffee in my room but just made do with water from supermarket just up the road only 85c for big bottle. There is a small pool on the roof but we only went up a couple of times as it's not our thing but there was people up there sun bathing and cooling off in the pool. Which ever hotel you decide to stay in a real must is the weekly bus ticket which you can get from driver first time you use any bus €6.50 each for a weekly ticket, fantastic service all over the island hop on and off as you like. (We nearly wore ours out) also great pub next door george is the landlord I've never seen so many bottles in a little pub. Peppis restaurant across the road was lovely too, ice cream parlour a couple of doors away. Sea just across the road so all in all everything you will need for a great holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paula F

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Nice clean hotel with friendly staff - room cleaned and towels/sheets changed daily. We had a good sized room with balcony overlooking the sea. Breakfast is buffet style with a wide variety for all tastes - bacon, eggs, muesli, cereals, meats, cheeses, breads, fruit, yoghurt. Good location opposite small bathing area and small pool on roof which is a sun trap. Next door is an traditional pub (Plough and Anchor) which is really cheap and has a massive range of spirits! Recommended places to eat - Exiles Beach on the headland in Sliema and Huggins Pub in Paceville.

A week's bus pass is Euro6.50 which is an absolute bargain and you can use any bus (except 11.30pm-4.00am). You can buy the ticket from the bus driver. We used it to travel to sites that would cost a fortune to reach via taxi or taken too long on the hop on-hop off buses. Each bus stop has a name and most buses had a display which showed the next bus stop. Google maps shows the name of the bus stops so I was able to identify the name of the bus stop I needed and could count them down from the map I'd printed. Alternatively just ask the bus driver to tell you when to get off!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sage L
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I went to Malta for the first time to celebrate our 40th Anniversay.We had been recommended to stay in Sliema as its a bit flatter for walking around.I picked the Carlton Hotel as its location looked ideal.The Hotel staff were very polite and friendly , the downside is its on the corner of a very busy road and right next to the main coast road --gets noisy.Rooms are quite small but functional. Another downside is you have to pay 6 euros each for breakfast ,we didn`t as there cafe`s either side and you can feed two for 6euro`s.
Malta itself is full of history and the buses are great , you can get anywhere on the island by bus and very cheap.

Overall I would recommend Malta to people but check hotel locations first. Hope this is of help .

Room Tip: Do not get one overlooking the sea front---noisy even with triple glazing.
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very friendly Hotel offering good clean accommodation, good breakfasts and wonderful views over the Sea during meals. Staff were always very helpful. Rooms were compact and would have preferred tea making facilities in room. Location very close to bus routes and near economical restaurants.
Excellent value for money!

Room Tip: Request a sea view if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John S
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was my partner and I's first holiday abroad and we were very pleased with the Carlton Hotel. We checked in after midnight by the time we arrived and were greeted by friendly staff on reception. We were given our room key and made our way up using the lift. My partner had booked a sea view room so I couldn't wait to look out from the balcony and see the view. I was rather disappointed when I opened the curtains to find that we were overlooking a block of flats and could only see the sea when we stood on the balcony and looked round to the right. As my partner had paid for sea view he went down to reception to ask if there were any other rooms available. The man was very friendly and explained that there were fully booked at the moment however he told my partner to go back down in the morning and he would see what he could do for us. The next day we moved rooms to the 6th floor and had a lovely room with a beautiful view and you could see all across the bay.

We also paid for breakfast in advance and I was pleased with the variety that they had. Cereals, bread, cheese, ham, fruit, yogurt, croissants, eggs, sausages, bacon, juice, tea, coffee and more. It was a nice start to the day and the breakfast room also overlooked the bay so you could enjoy the lovely views whilst eating breakfast. Our room was cleaned daily and we received clean towels each morning. The bedding however was not changed during our stay which would have been nice. The roof terrace was nice with plenty of beds for sunbathing and a small swimming pool. Most of all the location was good. We never found it too noisy and it was only a short walk to local restaurants and bars. With the beach just across from the front door and a bus stop right outside it was the perfect location for us.

Room Tip: If choosing a sea view room ask for one that is sea facing (front of hotel) and preferably 3rd floor...
2  Thank SMJ2493
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Location is good, a more laid back part of the coast road but only a short walk away from the centre of St Julians or parts of Sliema.
The room was extremely loud and you could hear all the traffic noise from outside all night long, I had to resort to purchasing some ear plugs which helped but I still woke up several times per night to the sound of car horns etc. (I was given a room on level 1 so very close to the road)
The wi-fi only seemed to want to work after noon for some reason and then it was very slow.
They also make you hand your key over to the receptionist upon leaving the hotel and therefore you have to collect it on returning which is a minor inconvenience.
The lift is tiny so if you're staying for a while you will probably struggle to get your luggage to your room, fortunately I only had hand luggage.
The swimming pool is also tiny and the roof terrace is very small and not particularly welcoming.
I would give a lower rating however for the price I paid I bumped it up a little to keep it fair and to be honest I probably wouldn't complain at all if it wasn't for all the traffic noise that was inescapable.

Room Tip: Don't book unless they can guarantee a high level (and you don't mind stairs), either that o...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel staff were very helpful but the place itself needs updating.
The rooftop pool is very small,
Rooms are also a little cramped.
We got the impression that this hotel gets visitors for short periods as opposed to longer holidays as the clothes storage is very limited. We complained about the lack of space after a couple of days and were moved to a larger room *for 3 people the next day but there was still only 2 drawers Our first room 74 on the top floor was supposed to be sea view but you needed to lean into the window and look sideways to see the sea. We also had the noise of the pool filtration unit starting at about 6 every morning.
We also had to ask for clean towels twice

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor .front rooms have traffic noise