“Excellent stay at the Carlton”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I spent two weeks at the Carlton in July and could not speak highly enough of our stay.

Malta presents an abundance of places to visit and short of staying in Valetta at a much more expensive hotel the Carlton provides a great base for all your activities. The bus stop is right outside the hotel, the bus service is excellent and the price unbelievable.

Our room was very simple with everything we needed on hand apart from a kettle, but we had known this beforehand and took a travel kettle with us. The room was kept beautifully clean and towels and bedding were changed regularly. The cleaning staff were friendly and anxious to please. The air-conditioning was excellent and meant that we got some wonderful sleeps. The view from our sea-facing window was lovely and the balcony though small was quite adequate. The TV was functional but of limited value with only a small number of channels. We were however easily able to connect a little HDMI lead from our tablet to watch some late-night films! The internet was excellent and meant we could stream a little bit of the World Cup without problem!

We had read before our trip that noise could be an issue. We did hear some traffic noise but didn't find this a problem at night. The only difficulty we did have with noise came from other guests one night early on in our stay, but they thankfully moved on!

The lift is small but quite big enough for the four people it is intended to carry. It presented no problem to us when moving our luggage and was usually available for the upward trip to the fourth floor. We note other folk raising concerns about the stairs but we simply don't see any problem.

We had opted to take the buffet breakfast during the whole of our stay and were not disappointed. There was an abundance of choice. The food was well presented and great care was taken to replenish the different items as needed.We found the breakfast excellent value for money and it left us needing little for lunch. The staff in the breakfast room were so attentive and friendly and did their utmost to see that we were pleased.

On the roof of the hotel there is a small terrace with an even smaller pool. We did use this a couple of times but this was not a strong selling-point and on one occasion we wondered if some of the people present were actually guests at all.

Opposite the Hotel is a beach area which actually has some sand - Malta is not of course known for its sandy-beaches! The little bay the hotel sits in is lovely and there is plenty of room to sunbathe and swim. There is also abundant cover to sit and watch the world go by. Add to this there are several very nice restaurants within a few hundred metres and a ten-minute walk into St Julians provides a great variety more. We found the location of the hotel to be excellent as has been described by others.

Mention has been made of the helpfulness of the reception staff and we would like to underline this. All without exception were helpful but special mention should perhaps be made of Carl who was so polite and so anxious to please.

We would stay again at the Carlton without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Fourth floor and above for the view
6  Thank Stephen R
There are newer reviews for Carlton Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2014

As my first stay in Malta the main criterion was the location, which is the access to public transportation and not needing to rent a car, as parking spaces are next to impossible to find and if you find one, very expensive…

The Carlton is, like many reviews indicate, an average hotel. However, the location, in Sliema is excellent for access to the beach, to restaurants and to public transportation that takes you anywhere.

The rooms are nice and clean and staff very helpful and friendly. There is a pool on the roof top, and even if not very big, it is big enough to cool down from the heat. Air conditioning in the room worked fine, despite the constant outside + 30 - 35 C daytime temperature and as our room was facing towards the back street the traffic on Tower road was no particular problem.

The Carlton is in our view good value for money and definitely to be recommended!

5  Thank Mietzner
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I spent my Christmas holydays in Sliema last year and I found this hotel very nice, clean and strategically positioned, with a bus stop just in the iter siderale of the road! The staff was really friendly and helpful, my room was simple but clean and I think I will choose this place again for a future visit of this beautiful island! Thanks a lot :)

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel between the 7th and 14th July, during this stay we noticed a number of defects with this hotel which mean that at the present time I recommend that people do not stay at this hotel for their own safety. In addition the Malta Tourism Authority is currently carrying out an investigation into this hotel, and a further site visit by them is planned next week.

In particular the balconies on this building are in a very poor state of repair, yet the management continue to rent rooms, which they know are unsafe. Here is what happened on our last day of our stay at the hotel.

We were woken at 8 a.m. in the morning by the sound of a workman directly outside our 4th floor room, using a chisel to remove poor quality cement from the balcony above ours. When we opened the curtains he was looking directly into our room, as you will see from the photos included in this review.

On discovering this situation, I went to reception, as the intercom did not work and discussed the situation with the manager. The manager explained that a member of the public had reported the hotel to the police as concrete was falling off the building, and as a result emergency work was needed to the building. The manager admitted that they had known about the situation the day before, and also accepted that the state of the balconies had been very poor for a significant length of time (see photos of previous substandard repairs to the balconies).

Despite knowing that work was needed to the building, no attempt was made to inform us of the situation, or to arrange an alternative room prior to work starting.

On returning to our room, the manager called me after some time to offer me a free breakfast, given the scale of the issue, I refused, the manager after I explained the situation again offered to provide us with an alternative room. As we had only just been woken up, we were in no position to immediately change rooms, so at this point I declined the offer, and continued to state my dissatisfaction. By this point there was concrete debris all over the balcony, and the noise was continuing, along with the workman looking into our room. As the repair work progressed wet concrete was also splattered across the windows.

At this point I decided to go downstairs again to speak with the manager to express my unhappiness with the situation, again he offered us an alternative room. I asked the manager to come to our room to see what we were experiencing. After some time the manager arrived and we again discussed the situation. He said he had to go and speak with his manager, after returning to the reception the manager called us on the intercom to offer us a free transfer to the airport, given this was our last day on Malta and we actually wanted to see more than wet concrete and dust, we accepted this, and the alternative room as the best we could achieve without wasting our day negotiating.

On arriving in the new room, we discovered that this was directly below our previous room, and so we continued to have the noise associated with the work, this was soon added to by an old lady screaming in pain, as the workmen had failed to cordon off their worksite and she had fallen over next to the crane, in time an ambulance arrived to take her to hospital. Given this we had no opportunity to get any sleep, and so decided to leave the hotel as soon as possible.

On leaving the hotel we noticed that the workman had now begun to work on the balcony of our previous room.

To be clear, this hotel felt it was appropriate to rent a room to customers, knowing that the balcony was in such a poor state of repair that it needed immediate, emergency repairs.

As you will see from the photos there were a number of serious structural issues with the balconies which leads me to feel that these rooms should not be available for rent until good quality repairs are undertaken.

Aside from these problems, I would also like to highlight the very narrow stairway within the building, which is the only fire exit, which I believe would be very unsafe if a fire was to occur. In addition the lift is so small that it is impossible for more than 2 people to get into the lift, and I am doubtful if it is of sufficient size to carry a wheelchair.

As for the staff at the hotel, in general these were friendly and helpful, however this meant little given the other problems we experienced.

The location of the hotel was good. However the bathrooms were not as clean as they could be.

The breakfast offered at this hotel was quite poor, in particular the 'hot' food, was under-cooked, the fruit juices were made from syrup concentrate, which meant it was like drinking water with sugar. The fruits were past their best.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room that does not have a balcony, due to the safety issues. However these rooms are...
5  Thank Alasdair555
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 3 nights, noticed the cleaner comes with only a pail of water which is used to clean the entire floor. Bathroom floor was rather sticky had to use my slippers. Bring your shower gel because they don't provide it every day. Friendly staffs and very strategic location. Breakfast is simple and tasty.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Neethiya Pooven... K
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stopped in this hotel for our second visit to Malta.

The hotel is great value for money and is a no thrills hotel but a comfortable stay in a very good location with good access to buses.

The hotel is kept clean and our room was cleaned every day along with fresh bedding and towels changed each day.

Staff were very polite, friendly and helpful.

There is a small roof top terrace with pool which is nice and was never busy but you do have the beach on your doorstep but bear in mind this is not a sandy beach but you will still be able to go for a swim and Sun bathe on the flat rocks.

Personally, the only draw back for me was the breakfast. It is more a continental style breakfast and although people say there is bacon, sausage and eggs it didn't seem to be good quality or very fresh. However, the restaurant does have nice views. I would however highly recommend the cafe a couple of doors down called Cara's which is very nice for a bite to eat at very reasonable price, this is where the locals go.

I would recommend this hotel as it is great value for money if your not after everything in one place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank englishmalteser
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just came back from a 4 nights stay at Carlton. I definetly expected more for the money we payed. The only things the hotel excelled at was location, location is really really good and the staff was also very helpful. Other than that, linens weren't changed once during our stay, and had some small stains on it. Furniture and doors are dated, they really should change the doors. Breakfast was ok. I can't say this was the worst experience of this kind in my life, but you really shouldn't have high expectations if you choose Carlton.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple