“Great pizza”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great pizza”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived in Malta quite late in the evening so was looking to eat about 10pm on a Sunday evening. Not many place were open but this cafe was buzzing! Simple Italian menu but we opted for two pizzas. Service was friendly and fast and the pizza was delicious. Good value. Would go again, maybe on a lunchtime next time as the food was more suited to a lunchtime meal rather than dinner...but it was great!

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
“Really tasty food at a very reasonable price”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We went into Cafe Sicilia for lunch and returned 3 times afterwards for more lunch and evening meals. Simple food, but very tasty pizzas, pastas and soups. Also very reasonable for desserts and coffees. Very friendly staff, prompt service and excellent value for money.

• Visited February 2014
Thrapston, United Kingdom
“A good lunchtime snack”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We were visiting Sliema with a friend and stopped at the Sicilia because it looked clean and had a table available - some places looked scruffy. Ordered a Sicilian pizza with apple juice and fizzy water. Service was excellent, waiting staff were prompt and friendly. The pizza was excellent and was sufficient for three of us as a lunchtime snack. Not expensive at 13 euro total, and far better than some venues in Valletta. Certainly recommended as a lunchtime venue.

• Visited January 2014
Belgrade
“Real Italians”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Plastic orange chairs may give an impression of plastic atmosphere. But when you notice that the personal (waiter, a blonde lady at the bar etc) is speaking Italian, and when you see old chef who went out from the kitchen to grumble about something, you realize it's an Italian place all over, all right.

I ordered two meals at the same time - I was very hungry. And a bottle of Maltese Cabernet from 2012. Plus cappuccino wth extra milk (so that I can take garlic tincture before the meal). I got gnocchi Sorentino (gratin in meat sauce and with cheese) and Pizza Maltese (with sauteed /but nt caramelized/ red onions, Maltese sausages /prepared as minced meat/ etc.)

When I took a head of garlic from the pocket (garlic tincture wasn't enough for me!) I heard the waiter and blonde woman at the bar commented on it on a mixture of Romanian (?) and Italian language: I recogniyed words "vampire" and "influenza". The linguists said that the word "vampire" is one and the only word that came out from Serbian language into world. Okay.

Gnocchi were okay. I missed a taste of nutmeg in it, but it's maybe only who puts nutmeg in gnocchi when I make them. Pizza wasn't too thin (onion was maybe pickled not sauteed).

The wine was dry as it was older than what bottle label said.

Casual atmosphere, with bunch of young Italians (obviously friends with the owners) staring at me a bit too long. (Maybe because of that garlic?)

Anyways, the bill for two meals, a small bottle of wine and a big cappuccino was 27.20 eur. Not much for dinner for two.

(I noticed a nice choice of cakes in refrigerated cabinet: famous cannoli, layer cakes, babas and tarts.)

• Visited December 2013
Sliema, Malta
“Gluten Free Pizza - hmmmm!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My girlfriend is Celiac (cannot tolerate Gluten, for those who don't know) and therefore follows a Gluten Free diet. We were both surprised and delighted to see that Cafe Sicilia offered Gluten Free Pizza options on their menu and decided to try.

We ordered 2 Gluten Free Pizzas and here the problems began. When the pizzas arrived, 1 was with Gluten and had to be sent back (mistake in the kitchen apparently). Then we noticed that the "normal" pizza other tables were having were bigger and had more toppings than the gluten free option. Our pizza barely had any Mozzarella or toppings, were under cooked and noticeably smaller.

When the waitress came to clear the plates, we informed her of this discrepancy and I can only deduce from her reaction that she either a) did not understand, or; b) was not interested, as there was not feedback from the kitchen.

When the bill arrived, we noticed an addition charge (EUR 4) for Gluten free! We asked the waitress what this was for and she referred us to the owner, who was sitting in front of the cash register, looking completely bored. We took the opportunity to point out the deficiencies between the gluten and gluten free pizza and point out the additional charge. Before we had finished our explanation, he had called over our waitress and berated her for not advising us of the additional charge for Gluten Free and struck the charge off the bill. He completely ignored the discrepancies in size and ingredients. Fortunately, both my girlfriend and the owner are Italian and so she thought to step in and speak to him in Italian as perhaps there was some misunderstanding. The owner was clearly 100% uninterested so we paid the bill and left.... never to return.

It appears strange to me that as an owner of a business in a very competitive market, you would go to the trouble of educating yourself about gluten, have your kitchen certified to provide gluten free products and then not listen to the very customers you are serving.

I can only assume that this business makes so much money that the owners do not need to care about customer feedback as there will always be a money train coming through their door.

I for one will not be going back and I sincerely hope that this business and business like this get a wake up call when they find the money train getting smaller and smaller each season.

• Visited December 2013