“Very helpful and friendly staff”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Well appointed and spacious room. Central location, quiet area. excellent choice and quality of food. We stayed for 10 days and enjoyed our stay. Everything better than expected.

1  Thank samphire99
Write a ReviewReviews (2,095)

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Just back from a week in Malta, we booked this hotel because we had stayed there before and we weren't disappointed. Other reviewers have commented on the decor, well the clue is in the name 'Victoria', the hotel has a Victorian feel... I suppose you could say it has a Colonial feel. The reception staff and the staff in the Copperfield restaurant, especially Sabrina and Peter were extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jay59Glasgow
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Things I liked:
Hotel style was classic colonian style, the front reception cool, relaxed and welcoming.
Staff were efficient, polite and service orientated.
Restaurant for breakfast was well run and choice quality of breakfast buffet could not be faulted, everything from full english, continental, scandinavian, health concious were all readily available and plentiful.
General ambience of hotel and bar was relaxed but there was always someone available for any request or service.
Bar staff very well trained, fantastic service and in particular they do a great Bloody Mary.
Hotel room I was given was very nice on 6th floor (622), large double room with comfortable bed, clean linen and quite a large balcony with views down over the town to the sea, very early morning sun only which helped to keep the room cool.
Bathroom very nice and spacious, with shower and bath.
Chambermaids did a very good job cleaning.
Hotelroom was quiet day and night and the rooms seemed to have fairly thick walls, was not disturbed by my neighbours or corridor noise at all.
Roof pool shared with Palace hotel was a bit confusing to get to but the pool was lovely, especially first thing in the morning after breakfast when it was still quiet once again the views were spectacular and it was lovely to use their infinity pool as part of the deal, it does get very busy during the afternoons. The pool and terrace belonging to the Victoria hotel was a lot smaller but much quieter and a great place to quietly read a book and have a quick dip in the small pool late afternoon, early evening.
Didn't use the indoor pool, sauna or gym. It was all very clean and the gym looked very impressive with lots of up to date equipment, it seemed to be quiet most of the time.
Lots of spa services advertised and meal deals for both Victoria and Palace hotel available.

Things I didn't like
Arrived at hotel at 08:30 as part of package deal (thomas Cook flight from Amsterdam) but could not check in till 15:00, a long wait when you haven't showered or slept. To be fair, not the fault of the hotel as they were at full capacity but something I would think about if ever I decided to return, normal check is is usually 12noon or latest 14:00 in my experience.
Airco in room allthough cooling did not get as cool as I would have liked, thus I found it a bit difficult to get off to sleep at night.
Fridge in room was feeble and smelly, it got changed but the replacement was just the same.
Did not understand the mini-bar system, having to order your items, how would you keep them cold? So didn't bother with that service.
Pay TV in my room didn't work, I advised the reception of this and they said they would fix but they didn't, I couldn't be bothered to keep asking them because they semed so busy.
Lift was a bit slow and sometimes only one of the two worked at all.
On my last night I was going to ask for an alarm call but the telephone suddenly seemed to have stopped working so I resorted to my mobile.
Furniture in rooms was a little bit worn but this wasn't a huge problem.

All in all I was pleased with this hotel and the service but the check wait-time did annoy be slightly, as did the fridge and the payTV.

Room Tip: I stayed in 622 and it was pretty good
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SilverStreamer9
Reviewed 29 July 2011

the Victoria hotel is the best placed building in Sliema.
you can walk everywhere from this spot.
the people inthe hotel are delightful.
the breakfast is great.
best of all is the use of the 5 star sister hotel pool, great music, great pool, great people watching.........honestly not one complaint during 15 fantastic days.
higlhy recommended.

1  Thank Fernglas
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, everyone spoke good english.
The room was big with a large balcony big enough for two people to sit outside in comfort, the style of room was ok. The hotel has 3 pools , i didn't expect them to be so good, they were very clean and well maintained. The large pool area had good views and was a great place to swim before breakfast, very easy to just laze around all day as you can get good food and drinks so you wouldn't have to move. The hotel was a short walk to the seafront and the ferries which has a bus terminus, depending if you take a lift or right turn out of the hotel , it was close to resturants, bars and the point shopping center and plaza. Something for everyone. What i liked best was the pools and liked least was paying 5 eruo per hour for the internet, it should be free for a hotel of this grade

1  Thank lindaelle
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The moment we entered the hotel, we could feel the hospitality from the front desk, especially from Mr. Charles Portelli. Our room was marvelous. The staff was very kind and helpfull. Although the hotel is located in the centre of Sliema, one could go for a walk by the seaside, which is on 3 minutes away from the hotel. The hotel is close to shops, restaurants and public transportation.
We recommend this hotel for cleanliness and hospitality.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We booked this through a travel website as part of a package and enjoyed the stay in this slice of Victoriana. This is a great hotel in principle, and we loved it, but they need to work on a few areas.

Things to be aware of:
• The Victoria shares many facilities with the Palace hotel. When you want something on the 9th floor, you have to take the lifts to the 7th floor and walk through the residential part to the Palace hotel lifts to get to the 9th.
• On arrival, €20 per person will be added to you bill to cover the pool towels (these are not the same as those in your bathroom). You get a voucher that can be exchanged for a towel on the 9th floor and vice versa. The €20 will be refunded on check out on return of the vouchers.
• Also on arrival, a one-off €5 'environment' charge is added to your bill. I din't discover this until I checked the bill on the TV. I asked about it and, apparently, it's a contribution towards making the hotel more environmentally friendly and you can ask for it to be waived if you wish. Now, I don't mind supporting this, but I feel I should have at least been told first. I cannot find any information on their website specifying this cost (if it's on there, it's not easy to find). It just felt a bit underhand and is contradictory to the rest of the experience we had.
• This hotel doesn't really cater for children explicitly.
• The tap water isn't suitable to drink (it's sea water with the salt removed). The hotel places mineral water in the room, for which they charge. You can get cheaper mineral water (and a selection of local wines and liqueurs) at the shops on the seafront. Turn left out of the hotel, left onto Triq Il-Kbira then right onto Triq San Vincenz and you'll be on the promenade in about 5 minutes. This also takes you to the Sliema-Valletta ferry.

The pluses:
+ The staff is by far the biggest asset this hotel has: extremely friendly and willing to help. Particularly one of the older receptionists (whose name escapes me), Alfred at the Penny Black bar and Marija in the Copperfield's restaurant. Honestly, the friendliness was like being in a B&B and really enhanced the stay.
+ If you book breakfast in advance you can get it at a reduced rate. The buffet was good, comprising hot and cold options with a couple of Maltese treats thrown in here and there. The only real let-down here was the quality of the juices and coffee.
+ We booked a room with no balcony because it was cheaper and we thought it wouldn't suffer from street noise. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony on check in and realised just how quiet the location is!
+ Parking is free. If you're insane enough to want to drive in Malta (we clearly were) then the hotel shares three levels of underground parking with the Palace hotel (the entrance is just to the left of the Victoria hotel).
+ The dining options are pretty good with various offers on certain days (e.g. Monday is Maltese night). The Copperfield's Restaurant is a daily buffet with a selection of meat or fish and the Penny Black Bar offers pub food à la carte. If you don't want to dine in, there are plenty of excellent restaurants within walking distance along Sliema seafront.
+ Tea and coffee facilities are provided fee in the room.
+ The range of spa and pool facilities was amazing. The indoor pool (7th floor) wasn't as busy as the two roof-top pools (8th and 9th floors).

Some negatives:
- Firstly, and most importantly, the air conditioning does NOT work. Well, it does, but it cannot seem to cool below 25 °C (despite us setting it to 16 °C). We eventually got used to the stifling heat as we felt complaining wouldn't achieve anything unless they were to replace the aircon unit altogether. I can't see this being done any time soon.
- Internet is not free and expensive for what you get.
- There are no minibars in the room, you had to order it via the list (I can't see how that could work really). We guessed they wanted to remove the fridges in the rooms to stop them getting hotter!
- You have to pay €1.60 per day to use the in-room safe. Fine in principle, except it wasn't screwed down! Anyone could have walked off with it.
- The rooms are showing their age and ours smelt musty, but it was tolerable. The maids didn't quite get into all the corners with the vacuum cleaner.
- The bath showed signs of rust and the shower leaked (slightly) onto the floor.

In summary, I would stay here again but I would make sure that the aircon was fixed before booking. Otherwise, I found the Victorian theme charming and the staff really made it worthwhile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing north. Less sun makes it a cooler room.
2  Thank Stephen P
Rev_Manager, Reservations Agent at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking your time to give us your constructive comments on our services.

It is only through your feedback and suggestions that we keep improving our product to ensure expectations are met. I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that your comments have been discussed during our weekly operations meeting and have taken the necessary actions accordingly.

On behalf of all the management and staff at Victoria Hotel, I would like to thank you once again for helping us improve our product.

Best Regards
Kenneth Fenech

Reservations Agent

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
1 mi away
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#6 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!