“Another great stay at this superb hotel, which is hard to beat.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
UK
“Another great stay at this superb hotel, which is hard to beat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have now stayed at this excellent hotel on several occasions. I have always found it the best hotel on the Island in which I have ever stayed and there have been quite a few. Recent reviews of this hotel have left me little to add in the way of superlatives, but that won’t stop me!

This time I will add a few pictures to help those who might consider a stay at The Victoria.

Currently the hotel is undergoing an upgrade although as a guest you will experience no disruption. You may have read about one lift being out of action. This was so for a while, but as the hotel was unusually 100% full (for this time of the year) the management had put the second lift back into action. The replacement of both lifts with double capacity state of the art facilities is due for completion in the Spring I was told.

All rooms are currently being refurbished and mine had new curtains, mattress and bedding and had been repainted. There was, I was told, still more improvements to follow.

The self service breakfast has been restyled and remains a great feature of this hotel, with all tastes catered for. I have campaigned for some time for the orange juice to be improved and this has now been done. A wise move by the management as comments had appeared on this site about it! Although I don’t drink coffee, I understand that a better quality product is now being used. The staff here are great and most have been there for some years.

Returning to my arrival, I must say that the reception in The Victoria is the best I have experienced in Malta in over 25 years. Often, if not always in my experience in Malta, the guest is looked upon as an irritation by reception. Here it is the complete opposite; the staff, service and welcome are well above anything ever received elsewhere in Malta. You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression and at The Victoria and the first impression here is always superb. Nothing is too much trouble for Charles and his great team, advice, assistance, information are all offered with a smile, even for an interfering return client like me!

I will end my report there as recent comments from other guests compliment what I have experienced and I don’t want to become boring!

Hotels in Malta can be mixed in quality, but if you don’t want to chance being disappointed just stay here, as I will in the future. Well done to The Victoria Staff and Management and thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: I have stayed several times and have always had a good room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rev_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Mr.Simmons,

Thank you for being a loyal and regular guest of The Victoria Hotel. It has always been our pleasure to welcome you back at our hotel, which results to be a very good sign that the hotel standards are constantly in place.

We also would like to thank you for constructive comments and suggestions, from which we must admit that we have taken some good ideas and implemented accordingly in order to improve guest satisfaction.

Looking forward to have you back with us shortly!

Best Regards,
Matthew Calleja
Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

During my stay, one lift was out of order, so one was often taken away from my intended floor or could not board as the lift was already full. The toilet lid would not stay up which is annoying for gentlemen but apparently a bonus for the ladies. Only one comfortable chair provided in a double room, sometimes both guests like to sit at the same time with back support. The balcony was a good size and caught the sun at times, a small table would enhance it, however do not expect views from the odd numbered rooms. The beds are very comfortable but my room would be better with more light, possibly overhead. I cannot comment on the roof top pools as the area was closed off. The reasons I would stay here again are the location and gym facilities, the buffet breakfasts provided a very good choice. The buffet dinners were good as well but perhaps an extra vegetable choice could be provided. I have left the best to last and that is the friendly and helpful staff, who provided quick polite responses to all my little problems and questions.

Room Tip: Possibly a high floor even numbered room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Sir,

While we are glad that you would reconsider to stay at The Victoria Hotel, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience of having only one guest lift available. However please note that we are currently in the process of installing two elevators of the latest technology by OTIS LIFTS accomodating ten persons each rather than the current lift capacity of four persons per elevator. Our future hotel guests will benefit from this investement.

I would appreciate if you could contact me on my personal email, dutymanager@victoriahotel.com in order to provide us with more information such as room number of the room you had been allocated in order to follow up certain issues mentioned in your review.

We sincerly look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria Hotel in the future.

Best Regards,
Matthew Calleja
Duty Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

A warm welcome a waits visitors from helpful and friendly staff. The hotel is in a great location and has easy access to the sea front from where you can get buses to Mdina/Rebat and also get buses and ferry's to Velletta as well as boat trips around the harbour and island. The Hotel food is good quality, plentiful and reasonably priced, as is the the hotel bar. The rooms are spacicious but more lighting would have been benificial. Would definetly return to the Vicoria in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen B
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

This has been our 9th visit to Malta and the last 7 times our stay has been at this Hotel. We presently wouldn't stay anywhere else. It is perfectly placed in Sliema in a quiet residential area. Comfortable,clean and well furnished. We have always found the staff to be pleasant and very helpful. During our stay one lift was permanently out of action and this would have been our only complaint as we were on the 7th floor. We were informed,however, that both lifts were due to be renewed and would be ready before our next visit..

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rev_Manager, Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for your positive review, just to confirm that we are currently replacing the two old elevators to two completely brand new lifts.

We look forward to your next visit at the Victoria Hotel.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

This was a nice hotel with a nice bar and the front desk was very helpful. The hotel is in Sliema but several blocks from the water. If you are looking for a a hotel that is closer to the action/nightlife, then chose one in St. Julian's area or closer to the waterfront. But, this was centrally located enough where we could walk to many places and/or get a bus pretty easily. One thing I will say is skip the spa at this hotel. I didn't have a very good massage experience there. I wondered if the therapist was even licensed!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cheshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

It was a pleasure to find on our return that the Penny Black Bar has been refurbished and the dining area re-designed to a high standard and still very relaxing to enjoy an after dinner drink.
The bar is well stocked & the bar staff are very professional and obliging,nice atmosphere

Kevin Callus The Hotel Manager leads a team of dedicated staff and the reception headed by Charles Portelli are very efficient and as they say-
You arrive as Guests and leave as Friends.
This is a truthfull account of the Victoria Hotel Sliema.

Room Tip: All the rooms and suites are well furbished & clean.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Loughborough, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Very good quality for money.
Rooms are spacious and furnished in a vintage style.
Breakfast buffet is good too.
Service is excellent.
Roof pool (with a great view) and hotel spa are a big bonus.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
Preluna Hotel & Spa
Preluna Hotel & Spa
#8 of 29 in Sliema
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,941 reviews

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!