“Bedrooms in need of refurbishment”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 9 June 2013

From the moment we arrived at reception, the friendliness and helpfulness of staff could seldom be faulted. Nothing seemed too much trouble and they were a mine of information on places to visit (especially the young man in the hotel gift shop). All the public areas were clean and well maintained although some of the leather sofas in the lobby had certainly seen better days. I would often come down early in the morning to login to my iPad ( wifi only available in the lobby and part of the roof pool area) and I witnessed how efficiently and thoroughly these areas were cleaned.
We booked a half board package and found the meals to certainly be adequate. The menu had some variety and the only criticisms I could make would be regarding the salad, especially the lettuce. This appeared to be well past it's best and the leaves could have a high level of brown discolouration.
We couldn't really afford a 4star hotel but this was a belated treat for my 60th birthday. The thing that really disappointed me was the bedroom. As many other reviewers have mentioned, the room was long overdue refurbishment and had a decidedly tired feel about it. The furniture was all overprainted and this had badly chipped, especially on corners. One cupboard door didn't close properly as the hinges appeared out of alignment. The TV had very few English language channels (BBC world news, CNN, Bloomberg, Discovery) and was a very bulky CRT set with a snowy picture.
Even these things I could have accepted if the bed had been ok. I work for a well know department store and I specialise in bed sales so do know a fair bit about them. The mattress was, I'm sure, an open coil sprung mattress. These lose their firmness and shape over a relatively short time and I found that one spring in particular seemed intent on having an intimate relationship with me! It was very uncomfortable and the pillows were no better. They should have been replaced some time ago. The quality was far worse than I have experienced in the budget hotel chains in the UK such as Travelodge and Premier Inn.
The roof pool areas were well equipped and clean with an adequate number of comfortable sun loungers and was shared with the 5 star sister hotel, the Palace. When we first checked in we were given complementary passes for a 15 minute head, neck and shoulder massage in the spa area. We only used this a couple of hours before leaving the hotel and certainly wish we had done so earlier in our stay. If we had done I'm sure we would have paid for the treatment again during our stay as it was wonderful. The entire spa area was immaculate with exceptionally friendly and helpful staff and the whole ambience was one of soothing relaxation. I could not recommend it more highly.
if the beds and bedding are replaced I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms numbered in the lower six hundreds as these are directly beneath the gym and can be quit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy H
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear Andy H,

First and foremost, on behalf of All The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and for finding the time to share your experience with other viewers. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

We would like extend our true and sincere apologies for not fully meeting your expectations, in spite the fact that the overall experience was surely a positive one. The points which you have raised have been put forward to the attention of the persons concerned. It is only through such constructive feedback that one may improve and address similar situations, therefore your comments are valuable for us. To proof our full commitment, I would kindly like you to contact me personally, hence to discuss this matter further.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, I look forward to hearing from you, and eventually to the pleasure of your return.

There are newer reviews for The Victoria Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Having lived in Malta until recently for 2 years I know the hotels well. We chose the Victoria for location as Sliema is a great base to stay in Malta and it is one of the only hotels to have wifi included in the price (you need to check when you book) We could have stayed in a five star but in the past have found them not to be what I would consider 5 star. All the staff at the Victoria were kind and attentive nothing was too much trouble ( which is not usually the case with a three year old). The facilities were perfect for us, rooms were clean and spacious. We will be coming back soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sallijay,

First and foremost, on behalf of All The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence. I would like to extend our sense of appreciation for your positive comments, but most of all, to read that The Victoria has succeeded in meeting your expectations and by living up to its mission: "We treat you like Royalty, with warmth and personalised attention:. Your time and contribution are truly and highly appreciated.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, The Victoria looks forward to the pleasure of your return.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Sometime ago (Febr. 2013 ) I had a most enjoyable stay at the Victoria Hotel. Excellent service, very friendly staff, always professional but with the personal touch, which makes you feel at home.
The situation is very convenient, allowing one to explore all parts of the island with ease and then on returning to the Victoria Hotel one was made welcome either at the bar with refreshments and light meals or at the restaurant with their international cuisine. I can recommend this most pleasent
and welcoming hotel.
Helga B. Hamburg

Room Tip: In den oberen Etagen bessere Sicht
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Helga B
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear Helga B,

I would like to start by extending The Managements' and Staffs' heartful thanks for having honoured us with your presence. We are so delighted to read that your experience at The Victoria has been an enjoyable one. Furthermore, your very positive and kind comments are greatly appreciated by all.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we truly look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Basically this is a very good hotel that suited our needs and ranks at the top of its 4 star category. Staff were excellent, always helpful and very friendly, The hotel is ideally situated with a short walk for the ferry to Valetta and access to most of the island bus services (weekly bus ticket excellent value). We managed to cover pretty much the whole island by bus including Gozo in a week. Pool is excellent and looks quite new, if a bit small. Would strongly recommend the hotel's breakfast which is comprehensive and worth the money. Rooms were good quality and reasonable in size. TV would be better if there was a bit more choice.on the free channels. All in all a very pleasant stay, nice staff and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ian507
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Good afternoon Ian507

First and foremost, on behalf of All The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence. Furthermore, we would like to thank you so much for finding the time to submit your review, which is greatly appreciated by all. Such positive and constructive comments entice our motivation to move on and to fulfill the hotel's mission statement: "WE SERVE YOU LIKE ROYALTY, WITH WARMTH AND PERSONALISED ATTENTION'

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you again at The Victoria in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Well were do I start,A bit of a bad start first night ,Didnt have room I booked ,until next day ,so didnt unpack clothes for two days ,Glad I was there for 10 nights ,As wouldnt of been happy if there for 7nights ,Now dont let me put you off this most amazing Hotel ,And the staff,All the staff are so friendly helpfull ,carnt do enough for they Guests,I have been to malta for the past 24 years and stayed in 4 stars hotels and 5 stars hotels ,The victoria as to be one of the best 4 stars hotels I have stayed in ,And will be going back very soon ,I had a lovely Holiday at the victoria ,food, cleanlness ,all you want from a lovely hotel and amazing staff

Room Tip: high floor with balcony,
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank christine g
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear IrishSandT,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and we are all delighted to hear that your stay at The Victoria was a pleasant and comfortable one. Such comments entice our motivation to fulfill the hotel’s mission statement: “WE SERVE YOU LIKE ROYALTY, WITH WARMTH AND PERSONALISED ATTENTION”.

Thank you so much for your time in sharing your experience with other viewers and rest assured that your compliments have been extended to the staff, particularly to the bar staff.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just back from 2 weeks in Malta,our first visit to the Island.Stayed at the Victoria,the hotel was fantastic could not fault anything the food and service were excellent,and the staff very friendly.Extra thanks go to Joe and all the team in the Penny Black you made it a very special holiday.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room on the 5th. floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Good afternoon 95Alans,

First and foremost, on behalf of All the Manangement and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence. Furthermore, we would like to thank you for your review, hence sharing your experience with our viewers. Your time and contribution are greatly appreciated by all.

We are so delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. I have made it a point to extend your appreciation note to all the staff, particularly to Joe and his team at The Penny Black.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just back home in Ireland after a fantastic stay in the Victoria Hotel. What can I say, we had a an excellent week in Malta. The Hotel made it for us, every member of staff was polite, friendly and made us feel very welcome with a special mention to the staff at The Penny Bar who were excellent with great people skills. I recommend it to you all. Thanks everyone in The Victoria.

• Stayed: May 2013
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear IrishSandT,

First and foremost, on behalf of the Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and we are delighted to read that your stay has been an enjoyable one. Your comments are valuable for us because it is through your direct feedback that we may improve our product.

I have forwarded your appreciation comments to all, particularly to The Penny Black Team.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

charles.portelli@axhotelsmalta.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!