“The Victoria delivers every time”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 22 October 2008

My husband and I have been to Malta 6 times since 1999. We love the people, climate and culture. And most of all, we love The Victoria!
On our first trip to Malta we stayed in another hotel in Sliema and as we loved the town, which is not too touristy but still has plenty to do, but had a very bad hotel experience, we started looking around for a hotel we could use on our next visit. We found this in The Victoria and have now returned there several times. We find the staff to be very welcoming and genuinely warm. Even though we visit only once a year, we are recognized when we walk through the front door again and have found a home away from home here. The hotel has recently been joined by a 5 star sister (The Victoria is a 4 star) which has resulted in a new welness area, consisting of a roofterrace with sundeck, pool and bar, a gym and a spa. The one rainy day we had during our vacation this year we spent in the spa which is absolutely something we recommend.
Staff throughout te hotel consistently greet guests and make them feel welcome without being intrusive. Between us, my husband and I have worked in 4 star hotels in the Netherlands for about 35 years and find that very few places serve with the same heartfelt hospitality as we ourselves did. For us, The Victoria is a real gem.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RTM1908
There are newer reviews for The Victoria Hotel

Reviewed 17 October 2008

We only had a brief visit to Malta, and wanted somewhere central to all the famous sites, as well as restaurants etc. From this we managed to narrow the field down and selected the Victoria Hotel, based on price and location. We arrived mid morning and were pleasantly surprised to find they had a room available straight away, without having to wait. Well, I call it a room, but it was more like a Palace! We were extremely fortunate to be upgraded to what I would have to say was the nicest room I have ever seen! Everything was extremely clean and functional, and the view wonderful.

As far as location goes, it is only 5-7 mins walk from a supermarket, and about the same distance to the waterfront. We walked to many of the restaurants which were fantastic. Near the supermarket is a main road which has buses running to and from Valleta every couple of minutes, which is only about 20 mins away and a great ride along the waterfront.

The best thing about our stay however was the staff. NOTHING was too much trouble, and we certainly felt like we were the guests of honor in the hotel. Speaking to other guests, they all seem to feel the same way. The breakfast was included and was wonderful with hot food, cakes, juices, cereals etc.

We had a such a great time there, we changed our plans and stayed another night. We certainly will be returning to Malta, and the Victoria would be our choice of hotel for sure.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NX622
Reviewed 15 October 2008

very nice lobby, new, modern gym and swimming pool with comfortable rooms all air conditioned and tastefully furnished, would definitely recommend or stay there again myself. Close to all shops, restaurants and beaches. Before my arrival in Malta, I knew very little of the island, Mr. Portelli the manager of the hotel not only helped me with very helpful information but even went as far as helping me arrange a surprise birthday party for my father in law at a nearby top rated restaurant. As far as areas to stay in is concerned Sliema is right in the middle of st. julians and valetta, so you have the best of both worlds with all the shops in between. It literally is a 10 minute bus drive either way, but lots to do if you stay local instead.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank luchelle
Reviewed 20 September 2008

After reading the recent reviews, we weren't quite sure what to expect. The hotel is actually 4 star, and having upgraded to a Superior Room, I would strongly recommend this to others. The rooms are spacious and well equipped, with a fridge and English TV. The hotel itself has superb facilities, with 2 outdoor pools, a jacuzzi and an indoor pool. The top floor has beautiful views of the surrounding area including the sea. There is a good gym with air con and a downstairs bar, pub style, which shows all Premiership football and the latest motor racing. The breakfast is very impressive also, with a huge variety. of choice. The staff in my experience could not do enough to help, and by booking well in advance direct with the hotel, I got a superior room for 80 Euro a night. The only slight drawback is that the WiFi isn't free, although for 30 Euro for 1000 minutes, wasn't excessive in price. Overall a most impressive hotel and excellent staff, set away from some of the more tacky hotels in Paceville.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robin28
Reviewed 27 June 2008

My stay at the Victoria place was in June 2008 and my experiences were not good.

Although the hotel is supposed to be 5 stars, problems begin to emerge very quickly: there was no one to take our suitcases upstairs; the lifts are extremely slow and sometimes you are left waiting for 15 minutes for them. It is quicker to take the stairs.

The rooms are of a good size, but are little more than you might get with a 3 star hotel. The curtains are drab and tired and in need of a wash (or replacement). The same could be said of the bed covers and carpet. However, the mattresses were comfortable. There were difficulties with electricity in the room, with the TV not working several times.

My main complaint with the hotel is that they left a charge on my room bill that I was not informed about. Unless you check your room bill you may not notice but they add 2 euros every day to supposedly counter global warming. We have enough charges placed on us already, and coming from England as I do, I’d rather like to get away from petty eco-charges.

Another final point: I was given a token for a ‘free’ fruit cocktail at the hotel bar; however, when I went to claim it I discovered that it was without alcohol and that I had to pay to have alcohol added. This kind of cheap trick summarises my unhappiness with the underhanded nature of the service I received at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank BlondEnglishman
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I stayed at Victoria hotel 5 night in September. This hotel is old but good hotel. Breakfast is yummy- I especially liked soft black bread and fruit. I wish this hotel was equippted with fridge at room.

The weather in September was hot so I enjoyed pool, althogh water was cold. Good restaurant "Kitchen" is walking distance and one vending machine (soft drink) 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yoshico
Reviewed 6 June 2008

Victoria Hotel is a very good hotel. As honeymooners, our stay in Victoria will always be unforgettable. Its location is very good for those who seek calmness and who like to combine both leisure and relaxation. It is also a 7 minutes walk away from a bus stop and the beach. The breakfast is wawww but you have to wake up early to get a table in the hall. It is very clean and I recommend it to every traveller.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Nameless2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!