β€œAnother wonderful holiday at our adopted home in Malta”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We always have a wonderful time at The Park and last October was no exception (family illness has caused the delay in this review), the updating in the hotel is continuing and we were given the room we requested, only to find it completely redecorated and revamped. And nicely co-ordinated.
My Husband had been unwell thru' out last year and the Staff were so considerate and helpful during our stay with them.

The bonus last October was the weather was amazing, once short burst of a thunderstorm and the rest of the time brilliant sunshine.
We will be back all being well this October which will actuallly be our 10th visit.
ps
The Maltese are very warm, friendly and welcoming people.
Liz C

Room Tip: I can't advise a room because we have been fortunate to have the room we request. But I can say...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizbeth C
There are newer reviews for Park Hotel

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Just got back from a four night stay at the Park Hotel. I had read the reviews so I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting. We were two couples and had rooms high up. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask for a sea-view room, but it really wasn't a bother, since March is not a time for me to sit out on the balcony. The room was clean with a firm bed which was really comfortable (both my husband and i like the bed firm). The breakfast was fine, although i must admit that the coffee was as terrible as was reported. There were also lots of kids staying at the hotel at the time, but they were really cute and only made a lot of noise the night they arrived. The staff was extremely helpful and they really make the place a wonderful spot

The location is probably the best part of the hotel's value. It's near everything- the boardwalk, the shopping area and mall, and the starting point for most of the bus and harbor tours of the island. All in all, it was a good place to stay and if i ever go back to Malta, I wouldn't say no to the Park.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ilene B
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Have just returned from a week in Malta where we were supposed to stay in this hotel. On arriving at night,we were disturbed at the location , in a dirty back alley facing more dirty buildings similar to the hotel. We were greeted well and they were very keen for us to have our evening meal although they were about to close. No wonder , they couldn't give this stuff away ! the breakfast was no better and the evening meal sunk to an all time low when they served us clotted lumps of spinach with un recognisable pork chops. The fish was swimming in some sort of liquid and to quote my husband it was disgusting. There was nothing to do around the hotel unless you were prepared for either a long walk or a bus ride.The promenade is only mins away but as the weather was bad was not an option. There are no nice restaurants in the area to escape the hotel food or to have a special meal out.We stuck it for 2 nights and moved to Qawra. The hotel there was a lot better but the location again was sadly lacking .To summarise the experience, we did all the trips etc and although there are a lot of lovely things to see we found Malta to be full of derelict buildings, not in the historic sense, just dirty neglected buildings in dire need of some TLC . In general the Maltese people were surly and unhelpful and didn't seem to want us there.Also, March is not a good time to go as a lot of places are still not open . In our opinion, Malta is a short stay destination and not a holiday island.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank porkscratchins
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We visited the hotel with the view of it just being a sleeping base whilst we toured the island and it was perfect for this, location is good, rooms ok, beds a bit hard. Have to say breakfast was good, buffet style there was a cooked selection of sausages, bacon, eggs, beans etc. Continental breakfast, cereals, juice and tea and coffee.

The only downside was that we booked through On The Beach for 2 twin rooms with an email confirmation of this, however when we arrived they had only one room for us, but the staff were very accomodating and got us and extra room. But when we left they required payment of 120 euros as they have only been paid for one room. we tried phoning On The Beach but couldnt get through so we had to pay and hope we can claim the money back.

It wasnt the hotels fault as we saw the paperwork they had recieved and it turns out that there were four companies in the chain!! So all I would say is that if you use OTB, phone the hotel before you visit to confirm that they have the correct booking information.

Overall a reasonable hotel provided we can get the 120 Euros back, if not, a very expensive budget hotel!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Firstly let me say that I booked this hotel in error, was on low cost holidays site and was convinced I'd clicked onto 'The Palace' in Sliema and made the booking, on checking through I realised my booking was for the Park. Tried to change booking to the Palace but no rooms left through low cost hols and would have lost virtually full amount I'd paid to cancel (lesson learnt don't get trigger-happy online). Decided we would have to grin and bear it, so how does the Park sum up.

At the price you pay for this hotel you have to know its not going to be 4*.

I emailed ahead and requested a high floor with a side sea view, and that's what we got, the hotel also responded to other queries by email.

LOCATION - you cannot fault the location it is excellent, you are approx 50 metres from the promenade which is lovely and has regular buses going to Valetta, St Julian and further up the island, because its more or less on a peninsula its only about a 10 minute walk up and over top of brow and you are then on the Tigne seafront which looks over to Valetta.

ROOM - was a standard size, it was clean and the beds (2 singles pushed together) were firm but comfortable. Towels were fine (we din't have any threadbare ones as others have said). As stated kettle but no coffee or tea, however we always take our own coffee and tea bags anyway. Fridge standard minibar size, but shelves came out so could accommodate larger bottles, no problem in getting glasses from the bar. The balcony was tiny and could just about accommodate the 2 plastic sun chairs. Points lost as these obviously hadn't been cleaned since the end of summer season, fortunately I always carry a large pack of baby wipes so able to wipe them down. (as other reviews have said its a narrow street and balconies close to those over the road).

RESTAURANT - firstly they need to get the fabric upholstery of the dining chairs cleaned they were badly stained. The breakfast while not brilliant will suffice to keep you going till lunch, but don't expect to be able to fill up on it to last til dinner. Can't comment on food on an evening,
but a couple of times during our stay we ordered sandwiches when we got back in mid afternoon, they were fine and very good value as you get sandwich, side salad and crisps for 2 euro.

LOUNGE - its adequate but not a place you would want to linger over drinks chatting to people.
I hate to say it the nicest most up to date part of this hotel were the toilets in the lounge area, if only the rest of the hotel was the same.

INDOOR SWIMMING POOL AREA - I will put it bluntly, it is downright filthy, there is a black scum mark on the tiles above the waterline that must be about 4/6" deep, the water in the whirlpool is hot but its cloudy and there were dead flies in it. The floor surrounding the pool area is dirty,
we spent 5 minutes in total down there and I felt as if my skin had a slimy film on it. Went straight back to room and showered. I enquired at hotel reception if it was under separate management and was told it was therefore open to non-residents. I was told my complaint would be passed to hotel manager, all I can say is venture there at your own risk.
The outdoor pool was not in use, but it would have been nice if they had some table and chairs out up there as that appears to be the only outside space the hotel possesses.

CLIENTS - during our week at the hotel there were 2 large parties of school children staying there probably about 50 in each group, they were not a problem but it was generally noisy and chaotic if you went down to breakfast at the same time as them.

STAFF - the staff were a credit to the hotel, they were very friendly and helpful at all times.

SUMMARY - if you are looking for a clean room in a very good location at a very cheap price
then this could be an excellent choice, but if you want luxury then look else.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Viv50
Reviewed 15 March 2013

i read many reviews about this hotel and was about to book another hotel but what convinced me to finalize my reservation at the park hotel were the location and the best price as compared to the other hotels of the same category i found through tripadvisor. other than these two points, i didn't have any other expectation of the hotel or i'll just get disappointed.
park hotel is only a 30-45 minute bus ride, X2, from the airport, chalet bus stop (behind preluna hotel & spa); walking distance to the point mall and bisazza street (shopping street); not a sea view hotel but the promenade is a short 3-5 minute walk. a supermarket is about a block behind the hotel.
we must have been lucky with our clean, average-sized room on the 4th floor which had a small balcony. the chambermaid mopped the floor, changed the towels, scrubbed the bathtub and wiped the bathroom sink everyday. the bedsheets were not changed during our 5 day stay. our twin beds were comfortable although the pillows were too soft and flat.
the tv was tiny like 16" that had 2-3 english channels and 4-5 other foreign stations. the bathroom has a hair dryer and basic toiletries. there was enough space for one medium sized suitcase and a closet about 50cm wide plus drawers and extra pillows and blankets.
the breakfast buffet had a selection of bread and cereals. the coffee and juice vending machines were ok with me. one could order fried/scrambled/over easy,.. and they will cook them. i loved the freshly made pure or strawberry yoghurt. be careful with the cold cuts and cheese as they were not replenished every morning. bacon and sausage were definitely straight from the pan.
the staff at the reception were also friendly and helpful.
as a whole, the bad reviews helped me what to watch out for. whether it is a 3 or a 4 star hotel, we were fortunate not to encounter any problem.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank supaclass
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We had 10 days at the Park hotel using Belleair travel company, we thought we were on a dine around basis but found we had half board at the park only, we would not have chosen this after reading other reviews on this site. The food leaves a lot to be desired, the breakfast coffee is completely undrinkable, and we ate an awful lot of cheese & crackers as these were often the best thing on the evening menu. Having said this, the staff were lovely, our room was not bad - small flat screen tv (only 4 channels in English) beds ok, small balcony - yes the road was narrow so the properties facing us were close but we were expecting that and we did have a net curtain so could have some natural light come in. The jacuzzi was hot and we had it to ourselves, there is also a gym which did not seem at all busy. I agree with others that it is not what most of us would call 4*, but it is clean and comfortable just let down by the food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple