“Not top-notch, but extra points for the gym and terrace”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Montreal, Canada
“Not top-notch, but extra points for the gym and terrace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

I was looking for an inexpensive hotel, and this certainly qualified. The neighborhood was only so-so, and the rooms were only average, but the terrace was a surprise. It was very small though, more like a juliet balcony, although I was able to go out and eat on it. The place also had a gym, which was great and completely unexpected. I would say though that there was one or two mosquitos in the room, which I usually don't find either! The staff was very helpful, and breakfast good with a large selection. I would stay here again.

The picture I attached is a view from the terrace.

• Liked — Gym and breakfast
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Canuckker
fonziemalta, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2008
Would like to thank you for your re view. As to the rooms we strive to improve and I would be more then happy if you could send me an email of what you would expect more so we as a management team can improve our product.
We hope to see you soon and welcome you once again to our hotel.

Kind Regards

Charles Selvaggi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

We spent a week at the Park from September 23, 2008. The rooms were very clean with friendly staff. Breakfast and dinners were good, fresh and with good selections. Since the hotel is small the restaurant was never overcrowded.
Location of Hotel was a few meters from the sea front with a long and nice promenade. Bus station is very close by giving access to all areas. of the island. Busses passed the area every few minutes. The main Harbour area of Sliema was a short walk of about 20 mins if that.
Overall I would say this is good place to stay to swimm in the sea and to travel around.

• Liked — location of the hotel, friendly staff, good food
  • Disliked — the seelction of TV channels, there should be a weather channel to better prepare for the next days
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hugobull
york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

I spent a week at the Park in September 08, the rooms were very clean with friendly staff. Breakfast was a buffet type with a very good range of food from cold meats and cheese cereals to the full cooked English, Dinners again had a good selection (3 main dishes) though some nights were better than others. While the indoor pool was closed due to refurbishment the outdoor was smallish but adequate, again area was clean.
Location of Hotel was a few yards from the main road we found this to be quite yet gave easy assess to the local areas and sea front, the main Harbour area of Sliema was a short walk of about 20 mins if that. Busses passed the area every few minuets giving access to all areas.
Overall I would say this is good place to stay for a quieter break with plenty of Restaurants and cafe's close by, not that we need any more food just the odd coffee and drink. Would I stay again Yes.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ttan1
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

This was our 4th stay at the Park Hotel. At booking via internet we were offered a discount. The Hotel will arrange airport pick-up by taxi at EUR20. Rooms were being re-painted and we stayed in one of the completed ones on the upper floors. Buffet breakfast quality has declined a little over the years but we have always enjoyed the friendly service! It is a short walk over the hill to the harbour area of Sliema where there are ferries to Valletta and a major bus departure point. The ferry is a cheap way to get a harbour cruise but at Valletta it is a steep up hill walk to the city centre.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Austraveller49
Henstridge, Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

My wife and I have visited Malta over the past twelve years and for the last five have stayed at the 'Park'. This year we additionally spent a week at the Fortina Spa (five star) and the contrast was quite surprising. Of the two hotels, we both came to the conclusion that the 'Spa' could not match the Park in practially every department - it also seemed too commercial and without personality. To cut a long story short, the Park has character and a friendly touch which we have found lacking elswhere. Last year (2007) however we were disappointed with the dinners they provided. They were very bland and lacking taste. I took the opportunity to mention it to the manager 'Charles' who was greatful for the feedback. This year '08' a new chef had been appointed and the blandness of the food a distant memory.....can't ask for more than that.

We usually rent a suite, which provides a separate sitting room as well as a double bedroom, bathroom and small kitchenette. When staying for four weeks it adds that extra comfort and convenience. The views from the balcony are limited to buildings and roofs and sky opposite which is fair enough for a hotel just off the seafront. It is, in this respect very well placed as the seafront road is busy and at times noisy, as residents staying in seafront hotels are keen to tell you!

One of our favourite walks is the stroll along the promenade to St Julian's. If you fancy a coffee we would recommend taking time out in the Vista Bar of the Hilton Hotel in St Julian's where they serve excellent coffee while you enjoy the views through huge windows from your balcony 'Vista'. You can't miss the Hilton with it's adjacent huge blue tower.

What else is there that is worth mentioning? I use the gym which is in the basement along with a pool etc. I had no trouble using the treadmill and bike - there are only four pieces of equipment like these if my memory is correct. The emphasis is however very much on 'static' equipment such as weight lifting kit etc. Overall It is in need of some TLC and some additional equipment such as rowing machines and X trainers etc. During the four weeks that I used the gym, I only saw one person use the static items such as the weights. Having said that, the cooler months of the year does bring out 'us wrinklies' the majority of whom prefer walking maybe.

The big strength of the hotel to my mind is the approachability of the staff, most of whom like a bit of a laugh and joke. The ladies who clean the room become friends and are always willing to help in any way. The gentleman manning the front desk (Francis for example) is always willing to let you read his paper if you have found that the one you want has sold out. And so it goes on; it is a very human hotel, which listens and 'speaks' and does it's very best to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. I would say that if you haven't had one by the time your stay is up - ask yourself 'what have I done wrong - you may find an answer?!!!.

• Liked — Very clean with all the facilities needed
  • Disliked — No gripes at all
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Philipeli
Isle of Man
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

I now stay at the Park Hotel four times a year for periods of four weeks at a time so this must say something as I first stayed there four years ago. I find it to be excellent value for money and I am looked after like a member of the family by 99% of the staff. Obviously there can never be 100% satisfaction in any organisation but the cleanliness and service are excellent. The standard and variety of food is, for the most part, excellent and again very good value. My bedroom and ensuite are kept clean and well decorated with regular clean towels and bed linen.
My only complaint has been, and this is very common in Malta, that students have been known to make holidaying Malta a let down especially when staying in hotels. I do have to admit that the Park have made valiant efforts to try and minimise the inconvenience and annoyance during the few weeks each year that students may be in residence by accepting those who have had a good track record. I have a feeling however that allowing students in to the Park will be more restricted than ever which will be an added reason for staying there. I emphasise that this is not a complaint directed solely at this hotel because it is a very common complaint not only in Malta but elsewhere.

My only other complaint is the standard of the gym which is in great need of upgrading if it is to be kept ,although the pool arrangements are good and there are good roof amenities.

The Park is well situated in Sliema with good shopping nearby, the sea and good promenade a few minutes walk, bus stops again a few minutes away, and very close to the berths from where the boat excursions start.

The Management and staff are helpful to young and old, fit and not so fit, and, as usual, having spent four weeks over Easter I am already booked for the month of July and also October with the strong probablity that as always I shall spend a month over Christmas and New Year.

• Liked — General friendliness and good standards
  • Disliked — Accomodating students occasionally during a year.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo