“Friendly staff and clean rooms”
Review of Corner Hostel

and 1 more site!
Corner Hostel
Perth, Australia
“Friendly staff and clean rooms”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms were spotlessly clean and location was very convenient. Only downsides were the internet only worked downstairs and the bathrooms were separate from the rooms (although they were also very very clean and nice).

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Very Good and helpful staff - this is a really good value for the price and the hotel has a very good location in Sliema near everythin -- free wifi

everything you need is available in the kitchen too

James M, Owner at Corner Hostel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback and we are glad you had a wonderful stay. we look forward to having you with us again next time.
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed only 2 days in this hostel, the first and my last day. Staff are friendly when exchanging emails before I arrived and gave clear instruction to where the hostel is.

However, there is no sign outside the building to make it notifiable that it is a hostel. When I got there and would like to get in touch with my friends there via Facebook. However, there is no wifi in the room and the wifi at the common area was so weak that I can't even able to connect to Facebook messenger.

I personally find it unreasonable and strange to restrict the check-in time before 10:30pm. What if I'm having a late flight? Then no one would be at the reception checking me in?

Also, I had a friend who wanted to help me with my luggage to the 2nd floor but he was stopped by one of the receptionists and said no entry is permitted for him. I think it is normal to set the rule that non-guest should not enter the room area to protect their guests or cause any distribance. The receptionist could have explained to me patiently on that, instead, he just kept shaking his head while talking to others on the phone and said that there is an elevator and that I don't need my friend's help at all.

While I was struggling with my luggage in the elevator, another receptionist came and asked what time my flight would be the next day. They didn't give me a minute of break to settle myself down and kept asking questions and telling me restrictions.

I stared at him and showed him an annoying face. He immediately waived his hands up and said he just wanted to let me know the check-out time is 11am. Why didn't he just say so at the beginning but asking my flight time instead? If my flight time is later than that, would they change the check-out time?

I know this is personal but I didn't really enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tracy S
Dear Tracy,

Whilst we appreciate your feedback, we find it very unreasonable to give this feedback without giving the full picture.

We have been very understanding of your needs all along the way, cancelled your nights of your stay (after plenty of emails exchanged), gave you plenty of tips and have been helpful before as well as throughout your stay.

We do have rules at the hostel, one of which is that check-in is until 22:00, as reception is closing at 22:30. Indeed this is a hostel and we do not have a 24 hour reception. In case of late arrivals we have other options, including a pick-up service as well as key collection.

In the case of your friend, as you well said, for the safety of our guests and our place, we do not allow visitors to enter the rooms. We are lucky to have an elevator in place and this eliminates the problem of having to carry luggage up the stairs. Those who ask if they can be assisted are always allowed, however guests would not be allowed to take visitors without permission, as was your case.

Whilst we acknowledge that this is a personal review, and we appreciate your feedback, we assure you that we treat guests equally and with a professional service as can be seen from the plenty of reviews above and below yours.

We thank you once again for staying with us.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in the girls dorm and it was as comfy and cozy. Everything was spotless and the beds were perfect. James arranged everything for us, with a perfect pick up service, and even waited for our late arrival to give us all the guidance needed. The location is also the best, walking distance from everything and just one block from the sea. I would totally go back.

Udine, Italy
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Just one of the most familiar and feel-like-home hostels I´ve ever been...
The staff knows how to make you feel comfortable, and are more than helpful when you need something, from mere information to organise a trip.
The facilities are also great, what makes this hostel the perfect place for the experimented backpacker and also the beginner, who will discover a new way of what travelling means.

Thank you so much James. Will be back to your hostel if I´ll ever return to Malta, which probably I will!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Sollentuna
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Good hostel,clean and friendly. Perfect with pick-up service from the airport. Good location in Sliema. Silent at nights. Close to the sea and the main road with a lot of restaurants. Close to the buses to Valletta and Mdina.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is the second time I stay in this Hostel, James and his team is always attentive and delivers.

1) He stayed up late (1am) waiting for our arrival and explained everything in full detail.
2) He arrange a really affordable pick up service for us.
3) I left my phone on this service just right before arriving to the airport, he was fast calling the taxi and I got my phone back just in time!!!

Location is excellent, there is a small shop next to it and a mobile fruit stand, right in the middle between night life and the pier.