“Fabulous staff and fabulous hotel”
Review of Fortina Spa Resort

Fortina Spa Resort
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Warrington, cheshire
“Fabulous staff and fabulous hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

After 7 years, and always saying I would not write a review, I feel this year I have too after reading some of the other reviews and listening to many of our friends that have timeshares for the same weeks as us. Firstly I must say there is some very special staff working in this resort, who have been there for years and I / we (friends) believe that the best staff are not always recognised as the hotel gets many reviews good and bad based on single visits well these comments are based on 7 years worth of experiences. The hotel is in a great location and it can be a bit hit and miss with some of the staff, especially this year as there has been a bigger staff turnover than ever. What I have always liked is the consistency of the same faces over the years, which for me shows that the Fortina was a good employer, whilst we were there some outstanding staff had left or was about to leave and that is a shame for me as they were good assets to the hotel, being an employer my self, I never let the good staff go, however that said, it is different this year and when talking to some of the staff there was a clear message, that they were missing Mr Michaels presence and input. There are area's of concern which we all noticed and commented on and to me the 5* pool and garden area was not up to its usual cleanliness, I did note one day, Mr Michael spotted this and he got on his phone and duly spoke to someone about it, within in minutes staff had been assigned to cleaning the pool up and it looked great after it had been done. The indoor pool looks tired and is in need of a good clean up and some painting work. Work does need to be done on the area at the back where the courtyard is, and I'm sure it will get done one day. My thoughts on reception this year was much better than in previous years, so they do listen to your comments, one person stands out every year and that is Elizabeth who is now on concierge, fabulous service and nothing is to much trouble for her. The maids that do our room (10th floor) are so well mannered everyday, they are a pleasure to talk too and our room was kept spotless, the little touches that they do, with your nightwear and robes is lovely to come in to. Next I think the restaurant staff are unsung heroes,
Taste - all the staff are excellent but Rita's Outstanding Service, is second to none, I just hope the management recognise her contribution (I will ask her the next time I go, if they have) to all the customers that pass through this restaurant and it must be hundreds, she never puts a foot wrong and treats you all to a fabulous 5* service every day and every year we have been, she never changes her manner, If I could get her to come to England, I would employ her tomorrow, Well done Rita. Tigne, Victor is a treasure and such a gentleman, like everyone else we are glad its back to hotel ownership and the food is excellent. Ilguardino the pizza restaurant in the main, excellent food, excellent staff. Sa re gama, the Indian restaurant, always good food, and the service and staff communication was much better this year, so well done to them for listening to what people have said previously. Moromoshi the Japanese restaurant, I'm sorry but I just did not like the managers attitude or the way he treated his waitress, he just seems to strut around the place with his glasses on his forehead looking busy with a piece of paper in his hand whilst she is run off her feet, he is very abrupt and rude, he has no customer ethos and does little to help you understand the menu's and the food was much better when it belonged to the hotel. I hope the hotel management read this review and I hope Mr Michaels input remains steadfast in the hotel as I / we believe he has been instrumental in making this hotel what is today more so than his other brothers and family. I realise that comment may touch a raw spot, but when in business you have to accept the bad as well as the good, please whoever is running this hotel now, listen to Mr Michael as he clearly knows the best way to keep both your customers and staff happy. You should never get any bad reviews because you have a great facility and has been great for years, don't lose it, we will be back and hopefully everything will have calmed down staffing wise, spa wise and restaurant wise. The hotel, views and location are priceless keep it that way.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better, because of the road noise, unless you are in a garden view and then...
4 Thank PoloWarrington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My wife and I enjoyed staying at the Fortina Spa Resort and would be happy to stay again.

It is very well located with easy access to transport, restaurants and walks along the harbour. The Spa Wellness Suite 1551 with personal Dermalife machine in the spacious Bathroom and your own hot tub overlooking Valleta harbour made the stay even better than expected.

Room Tip: Spa Wellness Suite 1551 with personal Dermalife machine and your own hot tub overlooking Valleta har...
Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZM2011
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Our sixth visit to our Spa Bedroom with all its luxuries never fails to instantly relax you as you cross the threshold . From the jacuzzi, double steam room, infrared pod, and our own heated pool, room 443 is heaven. We were welcomed with efficiency and smiles. Thankfully the hotel have taken back the Tigne restaurant and it was lovely to see old faces, the food was divine. A note to anyone who think the Pizza restaurant is just pizzas, look again, they do fantastic steaks.
We were informed Spa Bedrooms will be updated with new flooring etc, look forward to seeing it again next year. Everyone should experience such luxury at least once.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade try one of the spa bedrooms on level 4 overlooking the garden, you won't be...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael_Coats
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

After a good journey from Gatwick we arrived at the Hotel early afternoon to find that the room we were allocated 336 was not what we were expecting We had already upgraded to a tower room with sea view only to find it was a corner room with views of a tiny bit off sea also it was opposite to the entrance of the multi story carpark for the Point shopping center all the fumes of the cars were coming into the bedroom, I shut the patio doors which activated the air con which was extremely noisey. I complained to reception who said nobody else had complained but they would check it out so come back in half hour which I did the air con was faulty so we needed another room the only other room we could have was an upgrade of 30 euros a room per night we looked at the room and it was great 347 garden view spa room so we settled for that . The restaurant set up is crap you have to reserve your restaurant time for each evening in advance how silly is that. I must say all the restaurants are very good and the staff supurb. The Spa treatments were okay but I have had better. Also it was quite a shock to find out that Saga use this hotel as from this year and they block book the restaurants at an early time so most other people have to eat later.Bar service was excellent.

Room Tip: Garden View rooms in tower are nice and quiet the higher up the better
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roda186361
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel believes that having a Spa qualifies you as a 5 Star, but there are lots of other things to be considered. On arrival the reception area looks very tired with worn carpet and a mobility scooter parked in Reception is not a 5 Star look. Its difficult to get a reservation in the restaurants at a time of your choosing, so you need to book before you arrive or eat out. Our room on the 3rd floor had a fantastic view but the carpet was in need of being changed as the room had that "old carpet" smell. Free WiFi in the 5 Star, but it was so slow it took 5 hours to download a CD from the Cloud to my Kindle Device. The bathroom was a good standard and the cleanliness of the room was fine, but the TV was very old. The swimming pools were freezing and the courtyard pool and that area looked a little grubby. The staff were friendly and helpful and the meals in the restaurant were fine. |On visiting the bar one evening after dinner we were met by people singing and dancing along to Deliah provided by the pianist and singer - again not really 5 Star entertainment.
The location of the hotel is fantastic. We only visited for a long weekend which was enough. We've been to a lot of 5 Star Hotels all over the world and have never been to one like this.

2 Thank Ladywithasuitcase
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 May 2013

If you go to Malta, go to Fortina Spa Resort. These people truly understand the word 'Spa'.
Room 309 was awesome. Big bed, jacuzzi in the room, spa bathroom with all kinds of stuff (bubble bath, sauna, etc.). I hated having to leave the room. One bummer: room 309 was too distant for the wifi connection.
The hotel was crowded by senior citizens who apparently love the good life. Actually that made it quite nice, because there was peace and quite.
The hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. Breakfast and the service there were lovely.
The location of the hotel is wonderful: next to a mall and down the road all types of restaurants and more on walking distance.
Stayed there during a business trip, going back with my family, just for fun.

Room Tip: Take the Spa room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Banoyi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Being woken up up at 2.20am in the morning by the jaquzzi on your balcony can be annoying especially when not only my husband but the holiday rep. having reported it to the reception and still nothing is done. Having to be up at 5.00am on our last morning to catch our flight and being woken at 2.20am was not the best end to what was a terrific holiday in Malta. We also found ourselves becomming a little complacent at the daily false fire alarm caused by a problem with an extractor in the kitchen.
The rooms at the Fortina Spa are large and airy, we had a jaquzzi on the balcony and a spa bath as well as a lovely large walk in shower, we were however a little disconcerted on entering the bathroom to see that the separate lavatory and bidet had a GLASS door. There are six restaurants but except for the buffet you have to book your table in advance which means you may not get a sitting until 9.30. We went into the buffet most nights as you can eat from 6.30pm, however the food is excellent and very varied. If you want to try the other restaurants you can always have lunch in them as you don't need to book for lunch and then have a small buffet in the evening. The room and waiting staff are lovely and enjoy a chat and banter and do everything they can to help you especially if you are less able than some other guests
We found Malta to be a delight, the views amazing, the people lovely and transport really cheap and for our week the weather was brilliant.
We liked it so much we are going back in October to boost ourselves up for the long English winter although we are going self catering then.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room as if the weather is warm and you want to open your balcony door there can be...
3 Thank thefoz64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
#2 of 28 in Sliema
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Fortina Spa Resort? Share your experiences!