“A Joy!”
Review of Fortina Spa Resort

Fortina Spa Resort
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My family, (my mother, father, uncle, aunt, and I) went to Malta to see the sights and just sink in to the slower life of Malta's streets. This hotel was perfect for the icing on the top of the cake. The view from our room was STUNNING. I go about 3 holidays abroad a year approximately and I know I'm privileged and I don't take it for granted, but the view from this hotel was THE BEST I have ever witnessed. The view overlooked the sea and you could see all the way to the capital VALLETTA! The beds were very comfy and the maid was SO KIND. There wasn't enough milk (because we are from England, so we drink a lot of tea haha) so we asked if she could leave us more next time; not only did she do so, she also wrote a reply saying no problem and she was sorry for any inconveniences. We quickly replied saying that there was none and apologized if we came across a little harsh. Unfortunately the Italian restaurant was not so great. The food was always too salty and the pizzas were always too crispy, so my aunt and uncle (both 60+) found them difficult to eat. I would say 80+% of the food in the restaurants have to be paid for and I found the spa a little expensive considering the payments I had already paid just to stay here (half-board.) Apart from that the gardens were beautiful, the swimming pools were fantastic and all in all I had A GREAT TIME!

Room Tip: The views from the rooms facing the sea and the capital are unbeatable!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Scott J
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Scott J,

Thank you for your posting. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that your comments have been passed onto all those concerned.

Fortina team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This was my sixteenth visit I think ! What makes me go back time after time ? The staff. Rita and Sandra in Taste are reasons enough to keep me going back. Much has been said on this site that the all inclusive package is not what it used to be.... I disagree, I like the fact that now you can pay a supplement ( 50 c ) for a particular beer etc whereas before it was in the package or not ! I had no problems booking the reasturant of my choice at the time of my choosing. As ever the hotel is kept immaculate , however , the decorating done on the fourth floor this week left a mess on the carpets which housekeeping could not be held responsible for. In previous reviews I've said there is something special about the Fortina... I haven't changed my mind. The view,location and staff are second to none.... Unless you are out to find fault,you won't be disappointed.
G H

Room Tip: Room 341 had great view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Vix S

Dear Vix S,

Thank you for your posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having stayed here several times in the past at the 4* option, we upped the ante and booked 5* this time. How sad. How disappointing. What a tragedy. Rooms were basic to stay the least, with no understanding of what 5* service needs to be. We were ill-informed of facilities upon arrival, and the young team at the 5* reception would benefit from a high quality training programme. Have previously considered purchasing the owner apartment options presented, but am now glad to have walked away. Hopefully the management will refocus and return this resort to its wonderful potential.

Room Tip: book 4* at the 3* package rate for off season and it will be a wonderful experience
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank sumstar

Dear sumstar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on this website. We are disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not satisfactory and we would like to apologise for the inconveniences caused. Please be assured that all your comments have been well-noted and passed onto Management for the appropriate action to be taken accordingly.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

As an owner of 9yrs at this hotel, it was fantastic!!! We bought 3 weeks, it is sad to see it slowly sinking to no more than a 3 star.
On arrival revolving doors not working due to servicing,two weeks later still not working,made comment to manager to get invoice paid next day notice on door read push door to open.
Met female Saga rep who said she did not see me on arrival as a saga guest and she asked me if i was Mercury Direct tourist which i took as an insult.
We upgraded this year to 3 weeks half board a la carte breakfast in Taste very good, Dinner in Table one brilliant. Dinner in Taste was chaotic long wait for order to be taken, very quick to take wine order, will not upgrade next year as i did not think it was value for money.
we have heard that management of hotel has passed to one of owners sons a new broom does not always sweep clean,more training needed!
we will be back next year hoping that hotel is back to 5 star but will not hold my breath.

Room Tip: Do not use 10th floor wooden floors above very noisy with children running and bouncing balls about.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AWOLSouthWestWales

Dear AWOLSouthWestWales,

Thank you for your posting. All your comments have been passed onto all those concerned for the appropriate action to be taken.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We went as a couple for the first time to enjoy some peace and quite and we really found that this place gave us what we expected. We booked the Spa Bedroom which was marvellously relaxing and intimate; exactly as featured on the site. The food at Table One and La Vallette was excellent, the staff helpful and friendly. The tropical gardens, beautifully enlightened in the evening is heavenly surrounded with flowers and trees having a deep and shallow pool also a jacuzzi and splash pool for the young ones were really quite and relaxing. We didn't want to leave.
The second time we went with family and booked a garden view deluxe which was clean, spacious and had all amneties. The pool outside was always clean, as was the deck area. There is no huge difference between the 4 star and the 5 star, for us it seemed nearly the same as we visited them both. And again no one wanted to leave.
We would highly recommend this hotel, for the hotel itself and also for the perfect location. Additionally for those who like us enjoy doing some shopping or just going for walks, one can find shops all around, as well as a long, long promenade.:)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors, and with garden views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christophermifsud
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear christophermifsud,

Thank you for your lovely posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've just come back from a week at the 5* Fortina Spa Hotel with my boyfriend. He chose to go to Malta, I had never been before. We done an all inclusive holiday package through Thomas Cook.

On arrival we got there at 1130 and couldn't check in til 2 ... The receptionist said we could get changed in the toilets and leave our suitcases in this specific room.

Hotel room -
We paid the extra for a sea view and oh my god it was so worth every penny. We were on the 7th floor - with views of Valletta, the harbour, the locks bridge, the 4* star pool and of course the sea.
Room was very big - big double bed, table and chairs, large balcony with sun loungers, 3 door wardrobe, desk, air con bathroom had a shower and a bath. A free safe, mini bar and iron and ironing board. Rooms were immaculate and cleaners come in daily to change towels and top up mini fridge.
Outside area - although small because your in Silema and on the sea front was still lovely. Nice sized pool, little bar in the middle of the pool with entertainment (singers and people playing instruments), not many sun loungers but plenty of chairs and tables, and most of the restaurants around the pool side!! Lovely atmosphere overall.
Also a bar inside with a piano and lots of seating and restaurants in the 4*.
You can also use the 4* facilities - the pool area, the restaurants etc.
And free wifi in the hotel and rooms!!!

Food - always a bit worried with doing the all inclusive side of things incase the food is crap. Well the Fortina was the complete opposite. It was brilliant. I highly recommend the Indian, Chinese and Taste. Couldn't fault any of the food (my boyfriend is a chef in the Navy and even he couldn't fault any of it). I would say the Italian is more a Pizzeria though but food still nice.

Staff - all staff are very friendly, chatty and will do anything to be off service. Our safe battery went dead at one point we rung reception they weren't straight up and fixed it. If we wanted more water they would bring it up no problem.

Location - Silema. In the heart of it all. Short walk from everything whether that's shops, public transports, all along the sea front, short walks into the next villages and towns. Although on a main road and in the middle of it you cannot hear a thing from inside the hotel room. Such a beautiful place.

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. I have already recommended to family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Charleexx

Dear Charleexx,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have visited the Fortina again in April. The hotel is still the same. The spa bedrooms with private pool are excellent. We didn't want to leave it! The breakfast is still to die for in Taste. The facilities seem to have gone done since our last visit. Some extra painting would not go amiss. The restaurants are also going down too, in quality and value. That said the Vallette restaurant which is part of the 4* hotel has improved. The selection of food is superb and the view across the creek is unbelievable! The view is copied in any media about Malta.
People get confused about the two hotels so the reviews need to be studied carefully.
Our room was cleaned everyday and towels replaced every day. Service at reception and at the other facilities was very goods the staff are friendly and always helpfull.

Room Tip: Get a spa bedroom with a private pool if you can. It is well worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael_Coats

Dear Michael_Coats,

Fortina Spa Resort team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
#5 of 28 in Sliema
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#2 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Fortina Spa Resort? Share your experiences!