“Very good value hotel”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Very good value hotel”
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Having read reviews of this Hotel after booking I was somewhat nervous as to what my friend and I would find. Our rooms 412 and 413 were clean and comfortable. The food was plentiful. We sometimes had dinner as well as breakfast in the hotel and it was cheap, plentiful and perfectly acceptable. All the staff in all areas of the hotel were pleasant, polite and friendly.

The Hotel is ideally situated on the sea road with bus stops to all parts of Malta outside the door. Cafes, bars and restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank CMF62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Surrey
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My 2nd visit to this hotel, this time i travelled solo with out my husband so i only booked a single room. I wasnt expecting a balcony or a sea view like i had the last time i visited, but i was allocated a terrible room. BE AWARE single rooms on the Plaza side do not have a window and over look a shaft. When i asked the Reception whether i could have another room with at least some day light i was told they where fully booked and told to check back the next day. The next day i went back where i was offered another room on the opposite side of the Hotel (Plaza Regency). I was wonderfully greeted by a wonderful receptionist Claire who actually remembered me from my last visit. The room was ok, reminded me abit of the box i last bought my shoes in and the water was abit brown, but if you leave the water run for some time it clears out. Booked Halfboard this time, unfortunate to find out i think i might have prefered to be on a bed and breakfast basis but oh well! Pleasant stay and great staff

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ellie_Will
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Having booked a late deal we found this holiday good value for money especially as we had a superior room which was spacious wth a settee, fridge and view across the bay. Breakfast was OK but the evening meal was disappointing with the food being pretty tasteless - vegetables were usually tinned and the gateaux very bland - dining room Staff not very friendly either. If we had paid full price we would not have been happy. The roof terrace was pleasant but soon filled up with smokers so it was like trying to read and relax in an ashtray!
The holday however was enjoyable - even though the bath/shower water was very brown it was always hot and our fridge was very welcome.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed at The Plaza in March 2011 having been put up there for a few weeks by my partners company before finding our own accommodation and having read some of the reviews on here I was worried about what I'd find! I needn't have worried though it's a nice hotel that has and still is being refurbished extensively.

We were in a family studio which overlooked the indoor swimming pool and the streets behind the hotel, while it wasn't a beautiful view it was fine and the room was well equipped with a large bathroom with bath and shower, a small kitchenette with an electric hob, fridge, toaster and microwave which doubled as an oven and grill. There were two comfy single beds pushed into a double and a sofa, which we originally thought was a sofa bed for my daughter, unfortunately it wasn't and she spent her first night curled up on the sofa. On speaking to reception the following day they apologised and although housekeeping had already left for the day, arranged for a bed to be moved into our room by some of the male staff to accommodate her. The room was clean and maid service was daily should you require it. The housekeepers often made our beds up and even arranged my daughters blanket, cushions and cuddly toys brought from home for her. I also saw one of the sea view family studios during my stay and it was absolutely huge with the most beautiful view so if you can afford the extra money I would go for one of those rooms!

The hotel offers breakfast in the roof top restaurant which affords a beautiful view of the sea and surrounding coastal area and there was lots of choice each day, from cooked breakfasts, a huge array of breads, cakes and pastries to cereal, fruit and cold meats and cheeses. There was a plentiful supply of different coffees, hot chocolate, tea, water and juices to choose from too. The restaurant is also open for lunch and dinner and many of the hotel residents seemed to be eating in there for lunch and dinner, although we ate out or in our room. There is a small mini market which is situated in the road between the HSBC cash point and a pub within a few minutes walk from the hotel and if you carry on further past Ballutta Bay you come to Park Towers which is a large supermarket so there is plenty of choice if you do choose to eat in your room.

The hotel has a small indoor swimming pool, which my daughter and I used on a few occasions, which was clean and perfect for a swim when the weather isn't warm enough to use the roof top pool. And there was entertainment on a nightly basis in the bar adjoining the indoor pool which seemed very popular.

The gem in the crown of The Plaza is Cara's which is a delightful cafe offering the most delicious cakes, coffees and hot chocolates you will find in the area. They also make delicious sandwiches and pasties and offer room service. It's the one place we returned to on a regular basis and we still do now that we live in Malta. It is extremely good value for money, I would go so far as to say it is cheap. There is plenty of room to eat both inside and out, they offer a takeaway service and also room service to the rooms of the hotel for a small fee.

The staff in the hotel, from the reception desk, housekeepers, restaurant staff, maintenance staff and to the staff in Cara's were all very polite, friendly and helpful and made us feel at home. The manager of the hotel was also very friendly and did his best to ensure that we, and other guests at the hotel, were enjoying our stay.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family should they wish to stay in a hotel when they come to visit us in future. The only thing I would bear in mind is the access to the hotel, you have to go up some steps to get in to the hotel which would be difficult for someone with mobility problems or someone with a pushchair to negotiate.

Room Tip: Sea view family studios - huge with gorgeous view!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank K28Kent
soffolk
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I recently visited the Plaza Regency and found it to be a rather pleasant hotel with all the amenities that one could wish for in a package style holiday.
The room was a little on the small side for 2 people, but it was not that big a problem that would spoil one's stay.The room was cleaned every day,the bed linen changed twice during our weeks stay.The view from the room was not very good as we faced the sister hotel's guest;s rooms.
The food at the hotel was of a good standard and in keeping with what i would have expected for a hotel of this type.
There was evening entertainment each night,although there was very limited space in the hall in which it was held.50 people and it would have been standing room only.
The type of entertainment was not really to my taste,but it seemed to go down well with other guests.
I only have 2 negative things to say about this hotel,and i would guess that there would be very little that the owners could actually do about them.Firstly the hotel is situated on a busy main rd with a constant flow of traffic,the noise from the rd could be very annoying as it tends to start around six thirty am and continues until about 2100 hrs.
and just we one thinks that you will get some peace, some time after midnight it is time for the days rubbish from the hotel to be disposed of,this last;s for about an hour.So in my opinion this hotel would not be very suitable if you are a light sleeper.
In summery: i would say that this hotel is value for money when taking every thing into account.It is basic ,clean with a good selection of food available,friendly helpful staff.
If one is looking for stylish accommodation with all the latest gadgets easy to hand then i think you would be better suited if you choose another hotel

Room Tip: ask for the 3 for the price of 2 dinner offer.
  • Stayed April 2011
2 Thank houseboxboy7zdb
Scotland
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I found the staff very helpfull and patient at all times. The room I had overlooked the main road but the double glazed doors kept the traffic noise at a minimum. I had a twin room as a single which was perfect though it would have been rather cramped for a couple. The breakfast included everything one would desire with plenty of tables. Buffet dinner included 4 main courses with plenty of salads and fruit. I bought three dinners thus getting the fourth free, the cost being 28.5 Euros for the four.
The hotel overlooks the main road to St Julians and out to the bay. Nearby are several cafes and bars. Independence Park is nearby which is a lovely place to chill out and a haven for cat lovers, there is rock bathing a short distance away. The hotel has several bars and swimming pools but as I used neither I can make no comment.
The hotel is most convenient for public transport as there are bus stops on both directions nearby. The hotel faces north so comparatively cool in hot weather. The only negative I can think of is that entry to both hotels is up steep steps which could be awkward for the less mobile.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kendoon
Budva, Montenegro
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I didn't like my room but if you tak a room in Plaza side will be OK.
Wasn't so clean.