“nice hotel shame about staff”

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
bathgate scotland
“nice hotel shame about staff”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Just back from this hotel, had a room overlooking the bay in the Plaza side of hotel and must admit the room was lovely.Very clean and maid service everyday we were there.You get some noise from the road right outside but not enough to cause any problems.Only down side we found was the lack of friendliness from the staff.No smiles or greetings it was as if you were an inconvenience to them especially in the dining hall.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank mikegscot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
winsford
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed for a month at this hotel
and realy enjoy ourselves.Our room
was cleans every day by a very nice
girl .Food was Ok could allways find something that we liked staff very helpfull and pleasant.Looking forward to going again next year for
the same weeks.

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Stayed in Plaza Hotel ( left hand one when looking at both hotels from front of buildings....they are joined by a enclosed bridge corridor on 6th floor).
Room was on 2nd floor at rear of building with no balcony and not much of a view. It did get morning sunlight. The room had been modernised recently and I did note other modernisation works were being undertaken on other floors whilst I was there.
Room was comfortable , meals were good but not great, atmosphere in common areas was pleasant, indoor pool is small but very warm and welcoming. Bar area is on small side.
Lots of bars and restaurants locally and bus stop also handy.
Understand that room sizes vary and at least one room ( on each floor??) has no external window, overlooking an internal service well, so be forwarned.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Chilled-outTraveller
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Having read reviews of this Hotel after booking I was somewhat nervous as to what my friend and I would find. Our rooms 412 and 413 were clean and comfortable. The food was plentiful. We sometimes had dinner as well as breakfast in the hotel and it was cheap, plentiful and perfectly acceptable. All the staff in all areas of the hotel were pleasant, polite and friendly.

The Hotel is ideally situated on the sea road with bus stops to all parts of Malta outside the door. Cafes, bars and restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank CMF62
Surrey
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My 2nd visit to this hotel, this time i travelled solo with out my husband so i only booked a single room. I wasnt expecting a balcony or a sea view like i had the last time i visited, but i was allocated a terrible room. BE AWARE single rooms on the Plaza side do not have a window and over look a shaft. When i asked the Reception whether i could have another room with at least some day light i was told they where fully booked and told to check back the next day. The next day i went back where i was offered another room on the opposite side of the Hotel (Plaza Regency). I was wonderfully greeted by a wonderful receptionist Claire who actually remembered me from my last visit. The room was ok, reminded me abit of the box i last bought my shoes in and the water was abit brown, but if you leave the water run for some time it clears out. Booked Halfboard this time, unfortunate to find out i think i might have prefered to be on a bed and breakfast basis but oh well! Pleasant stay and great staff

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ellie_Will
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Having booked a late deal we found this holiday good value for money especially as we had a superior room which was spacious wth a settee, fridge and view across the bay. Breakfast was OK but the evening meal was disappointing with the food being pretty tasteless - vegetables were usually tinned and the gateaux very bland - dining room Staff not very friendly either. If we had paid full price we would not have been happy. The roof terrace was pleasant but soon filled up with smokers so it was like trying to read and relax in an ashtray!
The holday however was enjoyable - even though the bath/shower water was very brown it was always hot and our fridge was very welcome.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed at The Plaza in March 2011 having been put up there for a few weeks by my partners company before finding our own accommodation and having read some of the reviews on here I was worried about what I'd find! I needn't have worried though it's a nice hotel that has and still is being refurbished extensively.

We were in a family studio which overlooked the indoor swimming pool and the streets behind the hotel, while it wasn't a beautiful view it was fine and the room was well equipped with a large bathroom with bath and shower, a small kitchenette with an electric hob, fridge, toaster and microwave which doubled as an oven and grill. There were two comfy single beds pushed into a double and a sofa, which we originally thought was a sofa bed for my daughter, unfortunately it wasn't and she spent her first night curled up on the sofa. On speaking to reception the following day they apologised and although housekeeping had already left for the day, arranged for a bed to be moved into our room by some of the male staff to accommodate her. The room was clean and maid service was daily should you require it. The housekeepers often made our beds up and even arranged my daughters blanket, cushions and cuddly toys brought from home for her. I also saw one of the sea view family studios during my stay and it was absolutely huge with the most beautiful view so if you can afford the extra money I would go for one of those rooms!

The hotel offers breakfast in the roof top restaurant which affords a beautiful view of the sea and surrounding coastal area and there was lots of choice each day, from cooked breakfasts, a huge array of breads, cakes and pastries to cereal, fruit and cold meats and cheeses. There was a plentiful supply of different coffees, hot chocolate, tea, water and juices to choose from too. The restaurant is also open for lunch and dinner and many of the hotel residents seemed to be eating in there for lunch and dinner, although we ate out or in our room. There is a small mini market which is situated in the road between the HSBC cash point and a pub within a few minutes walk from the hotel and if you carry on further past Ballutta Bay you come to Park Towers which is a large supermarket so there is plenty of choice if you do choose to eat in your room.

The hotel has a small indoor swimming pool, which my daughter and I used on a few occasions, which was clean and perfect for a swim when the weather isn't warm enough to use the roof top pool. And there was entertainment on a nightly basis in the bar adjoining the indoor pool which seemed very popular.

The gem in the crown of The Plaza is Cara's which is a delightful cafe offering the most delicious cakes, coffees and hot chocolates you will find in the area. They also make delicious sandwiches and pasties and offer room service. It's the one place we returned to on a regular basis and we still do now that we live in Malta. It is extremely good value for money, I would go so far as to say it is cheap. There is plenty of room to eat both inside and out, they offer a takeaway service and also room service to the rooms of the hotel for a small fee.

The staff in the hotel, from the reception desk, housekeepers, restaurant staff, maintenance staff and to the staff in Cara's were all very polite, friendly and helpful and made us feel at home. The manager of the hotel was also very friendly and did his best to ensure that we, and other guests at the hotel, were enjoying our stay.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family should they wish to stay in a hotel when they come to visit us in future. The only thing I would bear in mind is the access to the hotel, you have to go up some steps to get in to the hotel which would be difficult for someone with mobility problems or someone with a pushchair to negotiate.

Room Tip: Sea view family studios - huge with gorgeous view!