“Stay”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

i stayed at the Plaza/Plaza Regency hotel in Sliema Malta on a half board basis, and while i only used it as a base, i found it to be a clean and tidy place, and the meal at breakfast and the evening meal were good as there was a very good selection, the staff were also friendly and all spoke english, i would go back there again

Room Tip: if you want to have a good view and a balcony then you have to ask at time of booking or you don'...
1 Thank susan r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Me and my partner went to the Plaza Regency Hotel from the 5th June to 19th this year. We have been previoulsy to this hotel 4 years ago so were expecting the same level of room. Unfortunately, compared to our previous visit where our room was clean, fresh and well maintained, on this occasion I have to say it was quite the opposite!

First thing was on arrival finding the bathroom floor coated in other people's hair! My partner went to complain at reception however their gesture of sending up housekeeping never materialised. I cleaned them up myself with toilet paper.

Next to greet us was the carpet heading onto the 6th floor to the restaurant of which was loose, enough for me to trip and fall flat on my face! Again my partner went to reception to complain and luckily the Thomas Cook representive was there. Laura, aka, not worth having ya, wrote this one down. We waited.....

2 weeks later it was still the same the day we left.

In the second week, we had no air conditioning for two days. We were told all sorts of different reasons by reception and also again, Laura was notified. Eventually after the two days we got it back blowing out cold air. We know we weren't the only ones on our 2nd floor who experienced this pain!

To continue, we had plaster falling off the walls in the corridors, cigarette burns on the bathroom floor, days went by before the plaster was hoovered up, at best food was average, sloppy and tastless on a lot of the days.

On a final note, good job I don't like to swim. Mid way through our holiday, whilst waiting to speak to Laura, again, about our air conditioning, another guest had beaten us to it with a complaint. This poor woman had been swimming, was getting out on the steps, they gave way, her leg got trapped, needed two people to untrap her!! Ouch! Her threat was to go to Health and Safety to shut it down. We do not know if this happened. Knowing Laura as we kinda of had to, nothing will have been done, and may more legs will become victims!!!

Joy and Thomas Smith, 62 and 67 from Lincoln.

3 Thank Victoria A

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Although the hotel didn't detract from our holiday there are some things fellow travellers should be aware of. The hotel advertises itself as a superior 3*, it was not what we were expecting for this rating. The rooms are quite small (and not as spacious as the web-site photos would have you believe) and very tired (and we had been upgraded apparently), the whole place could do with an update. The carpet in our room was threadbare in places, and the carpet in the main corridor and lfit exit were frayed and coming away from the floor. The sealant around the bath and shower was very mouldy and the shower curtain had to be replaced during our stay as it was in such a poor condition. Although pleasant the roof terrace/pool area was very small and got congested at the busier times of the day, only abt 40 sunbeds to serve the two hotels. We had the "pleasure" of having to use the courtesy shower room before we left, it was cramped, being only the width of the shower cubilcle, hot and had no hairdryer and the toilet did not flush properly. If you are willing to accept this standard the hotel ideally situated for exploring the St Julians Bay area. We may well return to Malta in the future but will not be going back to this hotel.

1 Thank Sam_Kitten_12
Kent, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We booked a superior room with seaviews at the Plaza Regency, i was so dissapointed and upset when i saw the room. The website promised so much but nothing was delivered. The room was very old and tired, the fridge did not work, it had water in the bottom and all the shelves were rusty, the hot tap in the bathroom was just a dribble, the sheets had many cigarette burns, the top cover was very old, crumpled and faded. The Bathroom smelt damp, the carpet was threadbare, there was what i can only assume was a damp patch on the ceiling that had been covered with an area of white paint (the rest of the ceiling was a aged off white), the cups were dirty and a 3rd bed was squeezed in pushing our twin beds together and therefore we kept banging our head on the wall lghts. We immediately complained to reception and they said a maintanence man would be in Monday to fix the problems, on Monday after speaking to the rep we requested a new room - there wasnt one. Tuesday we had to complain again as the maintanence man hadnt been, then Wednesday we had to complain again because the maintanence man still hadnt been! Eventually we dismantled the 3rd bed and put it in the hallway and had to put up with the other problems. If that was a superior room i dread to think what the standard rooms were like. Every day as we passed reception someone else was complaining, we heard one person say they didnt even have a window in there room!! Im afraid i wasnt impressed with the breakfast either everything was done on the cheap. BUT the view was lovely and the positioning ideal as a starting point for sightseeing. I would not recomend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Apparently we heard the rooms at the Plaza are better!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen T
Monte Gordo, Portugal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Not very impressed as there are about 5-6 steps to go through the main hotel enterance. The railing by the steps not fitted properly.....very loose! No porter service especially to help the Eldery & special needs clients.

Rooms very poorly kitted out. The shower cubicle was awful....no proper standing space as you keep on bashing with the plastic screen. Not very clean. Some rooms....one can look into neighbours sitting rooms in the street.

Cleaning was very poorly done. The towels supplied are of very down market quality.

Food was very poor quality &....Very watery. Just can not bring myself to make any comments re Soups / Desserts.

One good point...the hotel location was very good to board all local buses.

Room Tip: Will visit Malta again but not to Plaza Hotel, Silema.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anita J
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

The only good thing about this hotel is where it is placed. Everything else is woeful.

I have arrived with my booking and I received a welcoming pack with no welcome whatsoever. I was quickly sent off to my room just to realise that in order to access the internet you need to buy vouchers. Luckily all the restaurants across the road offer free wifi and reasonably decent pub grub.

The room wasn't exactly as clean as you'd expect. The shower could use a second clean, the electric socket was a bit loose and the air conditioning produced absolutely no cooling effect whatsoever.

I have also received a resident card which is greatly confusing. I haven't checked my booking papers from booking.com when I checked in assuming that I have booked the hotel only, just to realise I booked the hotel with breakfast at the end of my stay. The resident card consists of your details and an empty box saying BB. Any reasonable person would make the assumption that an empty box mean "NO". After speaking to the staff of the hotel I was told that I was supposed to guess that I have bought breakfast from the colour of the card.

I spoken to the manager of the hotel to make a complaint about all of the above just to be told that this is a 3 star hotel and therefore I cannot expect ANY customer service. No common reasoning would speak to that man, making complaints was absolutely futile.

I would NOT recommend staying at this hotel. There are many other places in Malta that will happily take your money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Przemek C
Hamilton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and i have recently returned from a week at the Plaza Regency. We had our reservations having read the reviews but were willing to keep an open mind. On arrival around 9pm we went in to the reception at the Plaza side and were told that our room would actually be in the Plaza Regency side. I have to admit that my heart sank having read that this was the "poorer" of the 2 sides. I needn't have concerned myself. The staff at reception were friendly and efficient and check in was done quickly and smoothly. There were 2 lifts, one slightly larger than the other and both in working order, if a little slow. Our room was on the second floor and we had requested a side sea view room as we wanted to make sure that we had a balcony. What we were given was a front sea view room with balcony and with absolutely breathtaking views of the sea. Even lying on the bed you could not miss the ocean views. The room itself was fairly small, but it was spotlessly clean and comfortable and the bathroom was adequate for what we needed. When we are spending time in our room on holiday we are usually on the balcony anyway so the size of the room is not really an issue for us, but it may have been a bit cramped if we were there for 2 weeks. Being on the second floor meant we had quite a lot of noise from the street so if you are a light sleeper you may need a room on a higher floor, but it was fine for us. The room was cleaned every day and fresh towels provided daily. The beds were changed at least twice during our stay which was fine as well.
The hotel itself was quite basic but the rooftop pool and terrace were lovely and had great views. The entertainment on the roof at night was dreadful, but i suppose at least they had something on. We did not order any food during our stay having booked on a room only basis and we were very glad of this as we walked through the restaurant one evening and found the restaurant to be extremely foul smelling. There were plenty of places nearby to eat though, as well as a small supermarket around the corner selling fresh fruit and pastries etc in the mornings.
The location of the hotel was excellent as both Sliema and St Julian's could be easily reached on foot and local buses stopped outside to go all over the island. Also plenty of shops, bars restaurants and an HSBC cash machine on the doorstep.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and the hotel facilities and comfort to be adequate. For the views alone we would not hesitate to return!

Room Tip: Light sleepers ask for a room on a high floor! Not great for mobility problems as steps up to main...
3 Thank saoirsechick