“mixed feelings”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Stockport, United Kingdom
“mixed feelings”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After a slight delay at the airport, I was taken to the hotel by shuttle bus. As it was not clear which of the two adjoining hotels I was in, I carried my luggage to the Plaza. After a short queue, I was informed I was in the other hotel. When I reached the other site I was told my room was not ready!
After about 45-60 minutes wait in the reception area, I was informed my room was ready.
Room 124 was right next to the lift on the first floor. When I walked in I was somewhat surprised by its size. Shall I say, bijou.
I know I booked for single occupancy, but I was rather annoyed that I had paid a single supplement of £91 for the week when it was painfully obvious that no more than one person could occupy this room anyway.
Taking aside that annoyance, the room was newly furnished with an ample wardrobe space for one, a comfortable single bed and a small table for writing. It also had a safe should you wish to hire it and a tv the size of a medium pc, high in the corner of the room making it difficult to see clearly. This turned out to be irrelevant as the only 2 channels available were one in Malti and the BBC Worldwide News. Just as well I don't watch telly on holiday!
The view from the room was the backs of nearby properties, no big deal!
The en-suite bathroom was very small. Approximately 75cm square shower cubicle and a toilet that requires you to sit at 45 degrees to avoid your knees hitting the toilet roll holder.
Strangely, and perhaps this is the British siege mentality in me, I grew fonder of the place as the week wore on!
The hotel itself seemed fine and I am sure some of the larger double rooms would be enjoyable, especially with the view over the bay.
The big pluses were the dining room and its views. The staff were very good; friendly, helpful and efficient. The food was plentiful and enjoyable and the top floor bar was a great place to visit after a 'hard day's touring'. There was also a very good rooftop pool and sunlounge area.
At this point I must mention the lifts!
They have a mind of their own. I was OK for leaving the hotel, just one flight of stairs down. But the dining room is on floor 6!!
The hotel has a bus stop right outside which is very useful and there are plenty of really enjoyable walks if you are the active type. I regularly enjoyed the walk into Valletta along the coast paths and walkways. There are ample tours on offer from the hotel and I took advantage of the Sightseeing Bus on Malta and on Gozo, although I preferred the freedom of choice on the ferry rather than an all inclusive regulated Gozo tour.
By the end of the week I was actually sorry to go.

Room Tip: I am a fairly regular solo traveller and I was given room 124 which, in all honesty, is too small. S...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank Vernon P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
UK
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The location is great, so close to everything, bus stop right outside and a beatiful view. There are plenty of restaurants nearby but as it is not in the heart of the bar area it is also nice and quiet at night. Perfect.

The hotel however could have been better. The room was dirty, smelt unpleasant, was very narrow and drab. It was in desparate need of decorating. There was no handle on the bathroom door, so you had to put your finger in a hole in the door to open or shut it! The shower flooded the bathroom everytime you used it! It was not a room we wanted to spend anymore time in than absolutely necessary! The reception area was clean but the corridors always seemed in need of a hoover.

The pool and bar area was nice but this area had to service two hotels so it was always very busy it was often impossible to get a sun lounger or to swim.

The staff in the restaurant were not very attentive and the food was ok but repetitive and bland. The view from the restaurant was lovely though so it was worth sitting in there just for that. Half board does not include a drink with dinner, there is a coffee and juice machine in the restaurant, but if you are not aware of the no drink policy. you can suffer as some people did with the humiliation of being being told loudly not to use the machines! The restaurant also has to serve two hotels so can also be busy at times.

Selima is lovely and a fantastic base to everywhere. The hotel was in a fantastic location and with a bit of care, attention and customer service training could be really nice.

5 Thank AstraUk

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel 11 years ago and my experience this time around was that of extreme disappointment as the standard has really gone downhill. We were booked into the Plaza part of the hotel. When we arrived at 11am Maltese time, we were told our rooms weren't ready and wouldn't be until 1pm, so we had to place our luggage in luggage room (thankfully a secure lockable area) and wander around St Julian's still,hot and tired and mucky from travelling for 2 hours before we coud go back to the hotel.
The Room we were given (appaprently rooms are allocated on the day you arrive) was on the 4th floor and didn't have a balcony or any kind of natural daylight or windows at all. it was one of the inner rooms that was based around the central airshaft. the room itself was small, dark and poky and the room card not only operated the door but the lights and air-conditoning. however, when we left the room and took the room card with us, this shut off the electricity so that on return to the room, it took a good 5 minutes for the air-con to have kicked in and made the room cool again!
On the 3rd day of our stay (we stayed there from 26/6/12 to 3/7/12) we got back from a day out about 6pm to discover there were no fresh towels. it took over an hour to sort which consisted of 2 phone calls to reception and finally a very angry storming down to reception to speak with them face to face! funnily enough, after the face to face confrontation in which i said very loudly that the hotel wasn't providing any good hotel service at all, within 5 minutes I had clean towels!
the breakfast and evening meal was all buffet style and the food itself was very limited in choices, 2 meat, 1 fish & 1 vegetarian option. the restaurant staff just stood by the walls, barely acknowledging the diners. Evening meal was included in hotel price but the drinks, had to be paid extra for - we were charged 4 euros for a bottle of water! - In the local shops, you could get one for 1 euro 50 cents!.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris L
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed at the Plaza Regency for 5 nights in June 2012. We loved Sliema and these hotels are in the perfect location, with Sliema and the Ferries a few minutes walk to the right and St Juliens Bay to the left!

The rooms themself are nothing spectacular, the beds were not the most comfortable so beware, but the room was large and had everything we needed, and kept clean. Breakfast was great and the pool and bar up the top are nice also!

We found the hotel great value and perfect for exploring Malta.

We also found that we could access Peppers (Bar across the street) free WiFI from our balcony (level 1) so if you need internet that is a good place to go for a drink!

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

i stayed at the Plaza/Plaza Regency hotel in Sliema Malta on a half board basis, and while i only used it as a base, i found it to be a clean and tidy place, and the meal at breakfast and the evening meal were good as there was a very good selection, the staff were also friendly and all spoke english, i would go back there again

Room Tip: if you want to have a good view and a balcony then you have to ask at time of booking or you don'...
1 Thank susan r
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Me and my partner went to the Plaza Regency Hotel from the 5th June to 19th this year. We have been previoulsy to this hotel 4 years ago so were expecting the same level of room. Unfortunately, compared to our previous visit where our room was clean, fresh and well maintained, on this occasion I have to say it was quite the opposite!

First thing was on arrival finding the bathroom floor coated in other people's hair! My partner went to complain at reception however their gesture of sending up housekeeping never materialised. I cleaned them up myself with toilet paper.

Next to greet us was the carpet heading onto the 6th floor to the restaurant of which was loose, enough for me to trip and fall flat on my face! Again my partner went to reception to complain and luckily the Thomas Cook representive was there. Laura, aka, not worth having ya, wrote this one down. We waited.....

2 weeks later it was still the same the day we left.

In the second week, we had no air conditioning for two days. We were told all sorts of different reasons by reception and also again, Laura was notified. Eventually after the two days we got it back blowing out cold air. We know we weren't the only ones on our 2nd floor who experienced this pain!

To continue, we had plaster falling off the walls in the corridors, cigarette burns on the bathroom floor, days went by before the plaster was hoovered up, at best food was average, sloppy and tastless on a lot of the days.

On a final note, good job I don't like to swim. Mid way through our holiday, whilst waiting to speak to Laura, again, about our air conditioning, another guest had beaten us to it with a complaint. This poor woman had been swimming, was getting out on the steps, they gave way, her leg got trapped, needed two people to untrap her!! Ouch! Her threat was to go to Health and Safety to shut it down. We do not know if this happened. Knowing Laura as we kinda of had to, nothing will have been done, and may more legs will become victims!!!

Joy and Thomas Smith, 62 and 67 from Lincoln.

3 Thank Victoria A
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Although the hotel didn't detract from our holiday there are some things fellow travellers should be aware of. The hotel advertises itself as a superior 3*, it was not what we were expecting for this rating. The rooms are quite small (and not as spacious as the web-site photos would have you believe) and very tired (and we had been upgraded apparently), the whole place could do with an update. The carpet in our room was threadbare in places, and the carpet in the main corridor and lfit exit were frayed and coming away from the floor. The sealant around the bath and shower was very mouldy and the shower curtain had to be replaced during our stay as it was in such a poor condition. Although pleasant the roof terrace/pool area was very small and got congested at the busier times of the day, only abt 40 sunbeds to serve the two hotels. We had the "pleasure" of having to use the courtesy shower room before we left, it was cramped, being only the width of the shower cubilcle, hot and had no hairdryer and the toilet did not flush properly. If you are willing to accept this standard the hotel ideally situated for exploring the St Julians Bay area. We may well return to Malta in the future but will not be going back to this hotel.

1 Thank Sam_Kitten_12