“Disappointed 2nd time round”

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Kent, UK
“Disappointed 2nd time round”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This was the 2nd time I'd stayed here, first time really liked it. This time left feeling a bit cheated and disappointed.

Paid for a superior sea view room - for which you would expect a superior sea view right? Maybe something a bit special? Wrong. Given a room on the first floor so only just above the pavement so noise from pedestrians fairly constant. And the busy road the hotel is on completely wiped away and relaxing one tried to do on the balcony.

And for the sea view...try superior Tree view! The trees between the beach and the hotel completely obscure the view. How the hotel can sell this room as superior is beyond me. Granted the room was big but that was all it had going for it. TV reception was crap and if the balcony door was open the noise of the traffic was constant, if it was shut the noise of the air con drowned out any hope of conversation.

Reception staff were rude and did not make me feel welcome, I went to ask them a few questions a couple of times and I felt like I was a nuisance to them. On one occasion I asked for advice on how to get to the International Airshow which was quite a big event on the island, you'd think staff would be clued up on it. But the receptionist gave us wrong bus directions causing great stress for us as we struggled to understand where we were supposed to be going.

I won't stay here again, was very disappointed with the whole experience. Although it's not the hotels fault the appalling arriva bus service is another reason why I won't be visiting Malta again. But the bus stop is just outside the hotel which is of some convenience.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We spent a week in the Plaza, and arrived at 1.30am. At reception we were told where our room was, given the electronic key, which only opened the door after several tries and that was how it was all week, no porter, and no refreshment in room and no where to get any. The front desk reception was unfriendly and on occasions very rude. The room was basic, with air conditioning and was clean but was not cleaned properly every day as was the bathroom. We phoned two or three times over the week because no clean towels had been left, bedding was not changed for the eight nights we were there, the inside pool was also out of action. The breakfast was not bad with salads, cooked foods and coffee, tea and juices, we were b.b. The hotel is well located for entertainment , the bus service is good, only 2 euros to go anywhere. When the taxi arrived to take us back to the airport there was my wife and I and another pick up from another hotel so we were amazed to find that the taxi driver had brought his wife with him so we had to squash up in the back, not very professional

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and i stayed first two weeks October 2013 and were pleasantly surprised how good it was. We had first floor sea view with balcony which meant we could sit outside of an evening and watch sliema go by. The food was varied and good,plenty of choice in the evenings,the only problem was sometimes getting to the sixth floor. Would definitely go again but i would like sea view higher up not sure about the wife tho

Room Tip: sea view above fourth floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stewart D
WALES
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Myself and some friends visited Malta for a short break in February 2013, Expecting the worst but more than pleasantly surprised with the hotel, food and location.
From what i read of others comments it seems that we were just lucky to be placed into rooms in the new side of the hotel.
The food was basic but facilities were clean and tidy (like I always say - "want 5 star ok pay 5 star prices !!!).
we will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Buy a weekly bus ticket on hotel reception for 12 Euros on your first day - the bus service is excel...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I came to Malta to get some sun and visit friends, and thanks to those friends my room was upgraded (thank you so much for that). Without that - I suspect I would have been looking for another hotel. The food is extremely basic, and you get absolutely none of the usual salads, fish or cold meats etc. that you might expect in that part of the world. Because of the rather odd layout, you can go days without seeing reception if you stay in the confines of the hotel. Perhaps because of this, the staff are generally rude and distant, and you get the distinct impression that you're an irritant. The staff in the restaurant seem to have largely taken on the same aura, which makes dining (with the restricted food) an absolute delight! The pool area is very small - I went at the very end of September so I dread to think what it's like in the height of the season. The road is noisy, but it's not like I didn't know it was there so I can't really complain about that. However, if you can, get a room from the 5th floor upwards - it'll be much quieter I'm sure.

Good points? There is a tiny beach just opposite for about 15 or so people, and it's an easy walk either way for shops, bars and restaurants etc. The view from the hotel was lovely and it was quite nice to sit on the balcony with a coffee in the morning watching the world go by.

I've stayed in all sorts of hotels over the years on any number of budgets - but I don't think I'll be staying here again. Happy staff would have made so much difference, even if the food was still poor.

Room Tip: Currently, the Regency side of the hotel (on the right) is undergoing a refurb, so try to get either...
4 Thank LisaS43
Fochabers, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

even though the room[room 122 the regency side] was at the front the noise was not that bad. one good thing was the air con. was so hot. no tea/coffee in rooms. i was staying half board and the choice for both breakfast [ cooked/continental/cereal/bread/toast & tea/coffee]and dinner was very good.[three course meal with soup/main choice of 4 and pudding. drinks are extra. the room was a double but 2 people it would be overcrowded for the size but ok for 1.

4 Thank wahaejock
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have just returned from 2 weeks. I had one of the refurbished rooms in the old part (they are gradually doing all the rooms). I had a wonderful view but I paid extra for that. However, hadn't expected a wrap-around balcony,and balcony furniture. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and the housekeeping was excellent. Missed a vanity in the bathroom but there was a large vanity desk combo in the room. No radio but a tv which must have a governor on it - had to sit up straight and close to hear it. The food was ok (most Maltese food was just ok) - the soup was excellent and the fish except the salmon was good - best to stick with bass and swordfish. I found the service very good in the dining room. Didn't try the pool but lots of people were sunbathing up on the roof when I went up. The entertainment didn't look very exciting and what I could hear it wasn't. This is a busy part of Sliema and the traffic and tourists make lots of noise but I found it quiet by 11 or midnight and I slept with windows open,. I would go back - it isn't 4 or 5 star but it isn't a budget either. You get what you pay for and I was satisfied..

3 Thank Dorothy421