“Can't Complain”

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from staying at this hotel for 7 nights. Stayed in the Regency side, newly refurbished room on 4th floor, thankfully as we could see from the lift other floors below were in a bad way. Found all staff very friendly, I think it's how you are with them that can affect how they are with you maybe. All the roof terrace bar staff were extremely nice to us we had great laugh with the guy who some people are calling serious & say he never smiles.. Get chattin to him he was hilarious and very obliging at all times. Hotel Location is fantastic deffo get a sea view room it's well worth it!!

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Jeano75
ManagementPlaza, Manager at The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to host you again. By that time the floors you mentioned will be looking as good as the 4th floor you were on!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've been going Malta since I was an infant and I've stayed in many hotels around the island! Malta is amazing country and I highly recommend going to anyone! It's just getting better and better each year!

All my family are all Maltese, but now live in the UK sadly, while some still live out there ... Malta as something for everyone whether you're young, old, gay, straight, travelling as couple or even travelling alone, you'll always find something to do and feel at home and very safe!!
It's full of culture, Amazing night life, places to visit and see! whether it's a clubbing, coffee culture, sight seeing, family, are just somewhere to relax and chill, than this is the place to be!! - Trust me you'll love it! ( Maybe not the top end of the island though, as its been build for tourist and it's a little tacky like blackpool)

Anyway, all i can say about this Hotel is it's nasty! I choose this one this year due to its location if anything, as I've walked past it many times before and the fact it had a pool area. However, I wish I never did now!

Has a maltese person I would higher recommend that you choose another Hotel! Here's my reasons why....

ONE, All the staff at this Hotel are very very rude! This includes a lady at reception Sandra, the Gentleman who runs the pool bar, Never smiled, and everything seemed to be a huge effort! If anything these people will ruin your holiday! The management are poor and there seem's to be no customer service approach at all! Out of 20 staff i can think of only 2 which made me and my family welcome! Which sadly I didn't get there name! The lady at breakfast with blonde hair, the Spanish girl at reception! As for everyone else they all looked like they hated life and everyone around them! - A tip to you guys... A smile fits all, so try using one once in a while!

TWO, I also had clothes that went missing from my room! I mentioned this to management who just accused me off lying! - I'm only mentioning this as we saw another couple complaining about the same problem, as we were waiting for our pick up! At first i thought i may have misplaced them, however after hearing this I knew that they had been stolen. - I would highly recommend that you keep all your belonging in your case and keep it locked until you need to use something!

THREE, The entire hotel is full of students, ( 12yrs - 15yrs) they must take up at least half the hotel, like they did with the pool, halls and all public areas!

FOUR, Breakfast was like been in a prison or a school canteen, The food was very basic and wasn't fresh! Just reheated from the day before! We even met one of the staff while out one evening who made a joke about people actually getting breakfast and they would never dream of eating it themselves.

FIVE, We stayed for 2 wks, although if I had the extra cash I would have chosen another hotel for sure.

SIX, As a Maltese person Myself, the staff at this hotel should all be ashamed to even call themselves Maltese! As we are a friendly nation! I understand Maltese and can speak a little but my family now live here in the UK, I was shocked to hear a member of staff at reception talking about customers in Maltese to another member of staff behind the desk, while leaving to go out one evening! I wish I got her name, red/ginger streaky hair, all i can say to you is that you're rather large yourself! Everyone was rude, unwelcoming. This is not a 3 star hotel, more like a one or two!

SEVEN, Unclean spoons, knifes and plates at breakfast! Although the food was nice at the pool bar, Just the guy that served you made you feel awkward and everything seemed an effort, like even asking for a drink... No Smile, No thank you, no nothing!

EIGHT, You'll spend more time waiting for the lifts to arrive then you would by the pool.

NINE, Don't be fooled by the rooms, there is only a small amount of new rooms, the rest are old, dirty and outdated... The chances are you'll get one of these whether you book a nice one or not! So don't waste your money! There are probably 21 nice rooms out of 148 rooms or something like that!

TEN, Wifi rubbish, expensive and very slow.

However, on a plus side... great location and nice view from the roof top! However like many of the reviews state, Lots of other nice hotels in the same location for the same price!

This Hotel was a waste of money, and never gain would i even dream of staying here! I've stayed in 1 and 2 star hotels in the same area that treat you better and have better everything.

Darren Testaferrata De noto

Room Tip: Book elsewhere... But if its too late, then keep your belongs locked in your suitcase and try the ba...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank kitchkewl

This review seems to be written by one of the competitor hotels in the area rather than by a guest!
Highlighting the beauty of Malta and the location but shooting 10 bullets to the hotel. In response to the bullets:
1. All staff are trained and customer friendly. They have their good days or bad day like everyone and although smiling is nicer, not smiling does not necessarily ruin your holiday. They are all competent and reliable and try their very best to assist our clients in the best possible manner.
2. So you had clothes stolen, but not money or valuables? It is very easy to misplace something or to leave it at the beach, or something. Our staff do not risk their jobs for valuables, let alone clothes!
3. We have a diversified clientele of varying ages as our hotel is fit for everyone.
4. The client is saying no one ate anything as it was reheated. I assure you that they all eat, and nothing is reheated. Besides the variety is vat....6 cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit in season, cold cuts, salads, a selection of bread, jams, bacon, sausages, beans, 2 or 3 types of eggs, cakes, etc....accompanied by tea, coffee and juices.
5. Our price/quality ratio is superb.
6. More grief towards staff, which I highly doubt.
7. I am sure if this was the case, he would not have even tasted the food at the pool bar....
8. this is an absurd exageration. We have 4 lifts serving the pool.
9. For the record we have 210 rooms, and only 24 need to be refurbished. The others have all been done and the remaining ones will be ready in a few months, so don't be fooled by this review.
10. wi-fi is available and against a charge payable locally. It starts for as low as €1.50 and is real time.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nice hotel in Sliema. Close to the capital Valletta ferry or bus. The apartment consisted of a big room with an entrance hall, a large bathroom and a balcony with sea views. The kitchen is fully equipped. I recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have been to Malta several times, but this has to be the most awful experience in my entire life! The breakfast gave me food poisoning. This then made me have to eat out every day just so I didn't get a dodgy stomach and then refused to refund the breakfast vouchers. The breakfast was a complete joke the cups had residue inside them and the cutlery was dirty as well as the plates. This hotel is struggling as 99.9% of the hotel is exchange students which didn't have any consideration for anyone apart from themselves as they knock on peoples doors in the early hours of the morning and playing music and getting drunk until the early hours in the corridors. On top of this the pool was constanly crammed with students diving in shouting and splashing and pushing everyone out of the way just to get into it. The rooms were also nothing like the pictures and we also found 5 cockroaches in our apartment yet we were on the 7th floor it was also infested with ants and the hotel room some times smelled of stangnant urine. The pool bar was a complete joke the bar man had no manners never smiled and constantly moaned and was just a **** if you ask me. The reception was another joke! Such as yours faithfully Sandra! This woman has never heard of customer service skills or manners in fact she was probably one of the most rudest people I have ever encountered. For example asking her where the luggage room was, well this was too hard for SANDRA and she didn't acknowledge anything you said! All the staff are just complete jokes including the management! Finally my room then started getting robbed by the cleaner preferably as my partners sisters bikini and other clothing went missing as well as some of my partners Diesel t-shirts were also stolen! We then confronted the management and followed procedure and they told us that they would sort it and then the management was never around or busy when we asked and then was told that it was sorted and the cleaner was dismissed!! Then we saw the cleaner working in the other block! Then the manger was only due on our last day when our Taxi was due when he arrived at the last minute and said "bye".

Malta is an extremely beautiful place and would recommend anyone to go but if you have a brain and read some of these reviews you may not want to give your money to such a dive of a place where you're not wanted and treated like filth! Although I would advise anybody not to stay here and I am not the kind of person to moan about anything but this hotel took the entire biscuit!

p.s

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Overall this might as well be a students hostel otherwise it wouldn't have so many foreign exchange students which shows that the hotel is completely suffering.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel! Do not eat here! Do not book this hotel! Do not buy a safe because your belongi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is our second visit to the Plaza, everyone is helpful, the rooms are clean and the hotel is in a good location. We hope to go back again next year., the family enjoyed it very much & the location is a good one, easy to get into Sliema and Pace Ville

Room Tip: The sea view sounds tempting, and the views are amazing, however it can be noisy as the road is a b...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first stay at this particular hotel and on the whole i recommend staying here .. The service was excellent and rooms were generous in size . The housekeeping and cleanliness were superb .. id recommend staying here just for the view from the roof . There are a couple of downsides . The number of language students staying there was high and most mornings and evenings you had to run the gauntlet by trying to get through the hotel lobby with numerous students stood in passageways or forever going up and down in the lifts . The wifi offered by plaza was also extortionate €20 for 10 hrs seemed excessive seeing as most restaurants offer free wifi . The fact it was also only available wirelessly in the lobby or by hiring a lan cable in the bedrooms ..
On the whole id recommend the hotels . Just use your wifi when you go out

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

It's my mistake, I know, but even though I was only here for one night the room needed a balcony. Much like the inside cabins on a ship, rooms without a balcony are no good - and seemed very small.
Breakfast €4 Dinner €9 (July 14) the buffet was ok at both breakfast and dinner but there are plenty of places to eat close by so plenty of choice - but they do play the local dance radio station in the dining room which I felt intrudes on my dining. When I visited the hotel was full if teenagers in groups who made a noise late into the evening and early in the morning. More expensive rooms in the Plaza Regency block next door with balconies may take you away from this. If the price was right I'd come back.

Stayed: July 2014