“Great Location, Great Value for Money & Clean.”

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My Family (2 Adults & 2 kids aged 4 & 7) stayed at the Plaza Regency Hotel, in an Inland Self Contained Apartment in July 2008. The location was perfect. We couldn't have asked for a greater position. The beach & play ground were right across the road.
The pool is located on the rooftop of the hotel. There are showers on the rooftop & deck chairs fill the entire space. The views of Malta from the rooftop are worth a million dollars.
Internet access is in the lobby & it costs around 2.50Euro for 1/2 hour. Our apartment was serviced daily. The ladies that cleaned our room were friendly & really did a great job.The airconditioning worked very well, however there was no power on a couple of days over the month that effected the pool & lifts. Management were able to have things fixed ASAP. The reception area is large & multi lingual & bookings can be made through reception. There is a restaurant on the 6th floor with great views. We never ate there, but it was always very busy. Breakfast costs 3.00Euro per person. Cara's Cafe is on the ground level & we often had ice creams, Ftira (Maltese Breads with great tasing fillings) , paztizzi & drinks/coffee there. It was great just watching the world go buy & enjoying a coffee. I booked this accomodation through Booking.Com & management ensured the room we were given, was everything we requested. I wish I was there again right now!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Verlie9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed 12 May 2009

I knew when I booked the Plaza that it was three star so I expected basic clean accomadation no frills etc which to an extent this hotel is but what lets it down the most is the rudest staff I have ever come across. When we checked in we were clearly interrupting the receptionist from something she would much rather have done & she made no effort to disguise that fact. When we got to our room we discovered we had no towels so I rang down to reception 5 or 6 times and got no answer so eventually I went down and asked would it possible to get some towels she said "you'll get them later" and walked off. It turns out that in this hotel they dont replace the towels when the room is cleaned they wait until the entire floor is cleaned all the towels are washed and you get them back in the late afternoon - something I found most odd and to be honest quite incovenient. The room itself was basic and the furniture is quite old, I had to put a blanket on the bed to stop the springs on the mattress eating me. The bathroom was dark and dank and smelled of urine and the towels when you did eventually get them were grubby looking. The breakfast in the restaurant is basic but again the staff are rude and snatch your plate off you before you have time to put you knife & fork down. There is a lovely cafe in the hotel with the largest selection of desserts & coffees but again the staff are so rude, snatching glasses before you finish and being downright ignorant. The hotel is near some lovely restaurants and I can recommend Frescos across the road a bit of a wait but lovely. But the hotel is on a very busy road so if you ask for a seaview you have to contend with the noise of the traffic which goes on all night.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I feel so strongly about this hotel that i have paid two and a half euros from reception to buy an hour on the internet to write this review while I am still on 'holiday' here!

I will start with day one. We arrived at the hotel (through Thomas Cook) early to be told the rooms would not be ready till midday. Fair enough so we went for some lunch. We came back after midday to be told it would be another hour. We had a cup of tea in the on site cafe and were then told they don't know when the room would be ready. We were finally given a room at 3:30pm which was very small and smelt like a public toilet and had a window overlooking a concrete building. It wasn't the bathroom that actually smelt but the bedroom! I went down to complain only to find two couples in the queue ahead of me had exactly the same problem. (I later found out all the rooms are like this as the waste from the toilet goes to the same place as the bath water which apparently in other countries it is kept seperate to avoid the smell coming through plug holes). We were offered a different room which was still small but at least had a window (overlooking other guests balcony's) and we were so tired by this time we just admitted defeat.

A few days later we were kept up till 4 in the morning by a group of lads playing loud rap music and drinking on their balcony. I know it was their holiday too but as the room was so poor and the windows don't close properly we heard everything. I called reception who could not do anything as they did not have any other rooms available.

On another night we came back to the room after dinner to discover a loud humming noise. It was not the lights, the AC or the TV so i asked reception if someone could come up and investigate as i would not be able to sleep with that noise in the backgound. Reception again had no other rooms and the manager did not some in till '11pm, maybe 12' so we would have to deal with it as 'maybe the noise might stop'!!!

I have found all the recption staff very rude from the start. The only reason the hotel is full is because it is so cheap- We paid 530 pounds for half board at the beginning of May. The food here is ok - you get what you pay for but there are so many restarants around here that most nights we have eaten out even for the occasional breakfast.

We were offered a fre trip to Golden Bay to see the hotel where Queen Elizabth stayed when she cam to Malta. We thought why not go and see a posh hotel and spend the day on the beach. This was a trick to get us into a room and attempt to sell us timeshare. We were at this hotel from 11am to half four! What a waste of a whole day. I will be writing to Thomas Cook to complain. I have stayed in plenty of 3star hotels and this is definately no where near the quality of those.

The problem with the hotel is that part of it is newly built and attached to the old building. There are apparently some nice rooms in the newly built part of the hotel so if you feel lucky go for this hotel but more likely than not you will get an awful room like many of the other guests.

Its such a shame as Malta is so nice but this hotel was an awful experience. Please stay in any other hotel than this one. Cancel your holiday and pay any admin fee required to change your booking as i would not want anyone to stay in this place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Overall the hotel was average in relation to service, the hotel room appeared very small especially the bathroom, again I had to push two single beds together to have more room & never enough leg room for tall people. The location of the hotel was busy with local people & tourists, many restaurants within walking distance & local buses into the centre. The restaurant in the hotel appeared to have a good selection of food & my only negative remark was that if you placed your cutlery down for a few seconds your plate was gone, staff & other guests were friendly & average service. The local bar within the hotel seemed to only attract older guests over 50 plus, a convenient location for everyone. They say you live & learn........well I hired a car for 6 days & after only 2 days I returned the car due to no where to park.........due to signing a 6 day contract I managed to get most of my money back from the hire company. I would like to return to malta one day & may prefer to stay in the capital.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephen N
Reviewed 11 April 2009

At first, we were in Baystreet hotel but it is a long story and we had to move to The plaza hotel. The staff were very helpful about our move. We loved this hotel so much, and it is gorgeous compared to Baystreet. The staff in Baystreet were very helpful though and understood our complaint completely!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jennzybabe
Reviewed 3 April 2009

The stay at this hotel was very pleasant. We booked a side seaview room. And since they had no rooms they gave us a self catering apartment for the same price. The staff are very friendly and the rooms have modern furniture, good cleaning. Overall it was worth it.
And it's got a great view too.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank vivic87
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Stayed here for a long weekend with my sister and was very pleasantly surprised. Extremely large room, two beds, lounge area and mini kitchen, which was great when we were just expecting a basic hotel room. Price also included an excellent full english breakfast. Rooftop pool, a bit on the small side but that didn't really bother us because it wasn't exactly sunbathing weather! Perfect location, right across the road from the beach & bus stop right outside the door (don't bother with taxis - the buses are cheap, frequent and reliable). Would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good deal for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends