Imperial Hotel
Sliema Hotel(Sliema)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstudents stayingbus stopclean towelsst julianshotel is situatedbusespositionwaterfrontgozo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The glory days of the Imperial hotel are over and the whole establishment could do with a little TLC - but - the rooms are clean, the aircon works well, the staff generally attentive and the location is ideal, so don't be put of - yet.

So why the banner headline? Well simply because the management have gone down the road of providing accomodation for foreign language students on the island to learn English. The result is disturbed nights, doors banging and generally less than polite youngsters. Interestingly enough those from Easter Europe were fairly well behaved - those of Mediterranean origin were not.

So my advice is this, check before you book, if the place is going to have hordes of students - look elsewhere - if not consider booking even though the prices do not reaslly reflect the accomodation offered - it's a shame really for this hotel has great charm and could so easily be a bit of a gem!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Padington62
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. While we stayed in malta we visited/saw several over hotels which all seemed 10 times better! The location in itsefl isn't too bad but the downsides of the hotel are infinite. Highlights include: televisions that show one channel (the manager claimed that this was down to the digital switchover and said it'd be ok on monday- it wasn't), chipped floor tiles in a particularily attractive dingy brown colour, an avacado coloured bathroom with strange brown stains on the door- no attempt had been made to wash these off, no hairdryer/fridge/cable tv as mentioned in the brochure, beds with no mattress covers... and that's just the rooms. The corridors leading to the rooms were poorly lit and probably more suited to a hospital for the mentally ill with stained walls and equally dull tiles on the floor. The lift stopped and got stuck for several minutes during the few times I used it while the staircase was rarely ever lit and night and cluttered with disused furniture. The restaurant was probably the worst. Dinner consisted of three courses- starters (often a soup or a salad consisting of lettuce and tomato) almost all of these absurdly were stuffed full with peas and incredibly bland. Next came main course; every night the vegetarian option was omlette while 'fish' was another central option on the menu, although I wouldn't be able to specify which type of fish. Finally a dessert- or piece of frozen cake. It was absolutely dire, the most bland food I've ever eaten while out. Breakfast was equally poor. Stale cereal, a toaster that didn't work, one hot dish which was congealed looking scrambled eggs and fresh fruit (or brown slimy apples) were the only options at breakfast time. The only posistive aspect of the restaurant- which I think I should mentioned lacked any windows and was incredibly plain and outdated looking, was one waiter in particular, a slightly elderly member of staff who was eprhaps the only member of staff I saw smile. And that moves me on nicely to my final issue- the staff. I have never met more incompetent, rude people in my life. from the swearing barman to the evening receptionist who treated me like an idiot when I inquired about the television. Several times I moved out of the way for members of staff to barge through without even a thank you! The manager was truly deluded and simply didn't seem to notice how poor his staff or hotel was. I beg anyone reading this not to stay at the imperial, it's the worst hotel I've ever stayed at with the arrogant staff just the perfect cherry on top for such a awful place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! All the rooms looked dirty.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank maradona472
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

I refer to the write-up kindly deposited by clients Fellows for which I thank them, especially since we note and act accordingly on constructive comments, which help us improve our product and services.

However I wish to clarify a number of points raised by our clients, whom I personally met on Thursday the 2nd of June and during which a mention of ‘human excrement in the room ’was mentioned and after accompanying the clients together with my Housekeeper to their room (in which they were already accommodated for a few nights, but never bothered to advise any person of this) it transpired that this ‘excrement’ was nothing but ‘dried’ liquid soap. I still insisted with clients to change the room and I have upgraded them to a Garden View Room. For reasons know to clients, this was not mentioned!

Clients elected to state that we have corridors and staircases ‘cluttered with disused furniture’. The disused furniture clients are referring to is antique furniture which complements the 146 year Imperial Hotel, something that client could have easily realised. Including what is now being referred to as ‘strange brown stains on the bathroom door’. During the conversation I had with these clients this was actually reported to me as ‘human excrement’ and on asking clients the time they arrived at the hotel and to my astonishment I was told that they have been with us for two nights. A natural question from my end was ‘So you are telling me that you have stayed in this room for two nights with such conditions?’. I immediately called the Housekeeper and together with clients went to see their allegation.

It transpired that it was NOT what clients suggested but Liquid Soap. I insisted with the clients that although it was evident that their allegation was incorrect I upgraded their room to a Garden/Pool view since one could clearly notice what clients had in mind.

Client also stated that our TV system was not ‘switched over to digital by Monday’ which in fact was switched-over to Digital on Wednesday due to technical problems faced by the engineers who were contracted to upgrade the system. Surely one expect these mishaps in our daily life!

Clients referred to hairdryers and fridge. These were and are available from front office while a charge applies for the Fridge. It looks like our clients deemed fit to place such comments on Tripadvisor BUT no mention of these so called ‘shortcomings’ from our side were referred to me during our meeting.

We do not have any records showing that our LIFT was out of order, but to make sure that of this and prior to me placing any comments on this site, I called the engineers who are contracted by us and again they do not have any records of such incidents being referred to by clients Fellows. For the matter, the last service to the lift was carried out in the first week of May.

Clients went on to comment on B’fast and Dinner. I must state that out of all the diners we had, these clients were the only ones that commented – although on many occasions one has to realise that ‘taste’ is perhaps a very personal matter. However, since clients elected to pass on these comments, which we seriously look at and when there is a way to improve we do so, one cannot not comment on the fact that it is nearly impossible to accept the fact that ‘cereals were stale’ when one considers that the F&B department was feeding an average of 100 clients a day, thus meaning that cereals were being replenished on a daily basis. Clients are also aware of the fact that for b’fast one finds the following choice: Scrambled eggs (at least on two days a week this is presented with a local touch), baked beans, once a week one finds sausages, bacon, fried eggs or quiche Lorraine and sauté potatoes, on a daily basis one finds three (3) choices of cold cuts, cheese, tomatoes – once a week these are presented fired, hard boiled eggs, different types of cake, yogurt, fruit salad, five (5) different types of breads together with five (5) different types of Teas and six (6) different types of Coffees plus Hot Chocolate and three (3) types of Juices.

Dinners: We offer our clients a three course meal with a choice of three (3) different starters to choose from, four (4) different choices for Main (poultry, meat, fish and a vegetarian option including different types of Omelettes while a choice of desserts or fresh fruit. What client is referring to as ‘frozen cake’ I must indicate to our clients that this is called a ‘semifreddo’, which for obvious reasons is kept in fridges.

Allow me to state that contrary to what client stated about the Toaster, at no time at all was the toaster not working. In fact, if that should have happened, our Restaurant Staff would have easily replaced it with one of the TWO (2) spare ones.

I would be obliged if clients could clearly indicate who of our bar staff they are referring to, since no one from my Duty Managers or Head of Departments are aware of this person, so appropriate action is taken as these allegations are very serious.

I thank our clients for enlightening me that I am ‘truly deluded and simply not noticing how poor my staff is’. I truly appreciate their observations.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

This was my second stay at the Imperial, the first being 9 years ago. For a 3* hotel we considered this to be very good value. We decided to go for HB for convenience and it was a very satisfactory option with varied menus and generally good service.. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Last year we went to the Hilton and were very happy there, opting for B&B due to cost. It worked well but looking for somewhere to eat every evening was a bit inconvenient. However, since going to the Imperial we have decided to return there next year and of the two hotels we felt more comfortable with this years choice. A little basic but perfectly fine if you aren't too fussy. Towels are changed daily and the room generally well kept. Tea and coffee making facility in the room, a small TV with no charge, although channels limited, English speaking news channel for an occasional catch up. There is a bus stop almost opposite the hotel and by changing buses you can get to most parts of the island, the fares are very cheap and the old buses are a real experience. We love it and look forward to the next trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wendymoon
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have just spent a really lovely week at the Imperial. A warm welcome awaited us, the room was clean and comfortable it was cleaned every day and we genuinely felt looked after. The hotel as a whole has seen grander days but this does not distract from its charm and character. She may be an elderly lady but is an elegant one! The food was good, the menu was varied and it was presented nicely. All the staff were friendly and helpful giving the hotel a nice family atmosphere. The situation of the hotel was good as it's in a quieter part of Sliema. Everything is just a 5 -10 minute walk away. We can see why people repeat their visits and we hope to do the same in the future.
We have stayed in quite a few hotels in Malta and this one is our favourite.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank John H
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Breakfast was good, but no variation. Dinner was good, well surfed and with little variation.
Verij good location, friendly staff.
Some gangways had loos tiles and that made a lot of noice. Sound isolation of the rooms: very poor quality, we could hear or neighbours snorking.
The renovation of the room was of a very clumsy quality (they had not enogh tiles of the same sort, so they used another kind and volour, the aluminum frame of the new(?) window was cut too short, so the missing part was glued at the other part). Not a big deal but a shame for such a chique hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple