“Disappointing Return”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Having reviewed this hotel previously and found it adequate and friendly, albeit rundown, my husband and I booked in for a fortnight during late May and early June.2013 I can only say that services have only gone downhill in the three years since our last trip to this hotel. Firstly, we landed at Luqa Airport, and waited and waited for our transfer which never occurred, until we contacted the hotel ourselves only to be told they had forgotten about us. Then on arrival we were made to wait again to check in. To make matters worse we decided that after our eventful afternoon, we would have dinner at the hotel, only to be shunned by the elderly waiter called John, who sat us at our table and proceeded to ignore us for twenty minutes, while he served other guests who arrived after us. Our balcony room was clean but badly in need of some better decoration that the slap dash way it has been finished with splashed paint on windows and cracked bathroom tiles. The door to our room locked however did not seal at the top therefore any noise from the hallway was magnified.A few days after our arrival we noticed the pink EF signs were put up and we were overrun with noisy, rude students who seemed to creep out of every orifice of the hotel. We had to complain to management several time because of noise coming from the roof area and corridors. These students did not have adequate supervision and management seemed indifferent to the mayhem they were causing. Never again will I set foot in this hotel or at least, until the affluent owners, including Golden Harvest (or so I am told) put in the big bucks and refurbish this hotel to the standard they themselves falsely advertise.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anniemcg717

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked this hotel for myself and my elderly father, our first introduction was to be greeted by bright pink banners declaring 'EF students have more fun' the holiday went down hill from then on. the students were loud, bad mannered, half dressed, disrespectful and unsupervised. The 'leaders' acted in the same way as the students. It was often intimidating and totally unsuitable. I expressed my concern to my Mercury rep the following day to be told that there had been several previous complaints and was advised to ring the Malta office should it be 'too much' but I was to give it a try. I was told by the management of the hotel that Mercury had known about the number of students booked into the hotel during the summer months back in March of this year. My father and I, after many complaints to both the hotel management and the EF rep paid to move to a different hotel. It was impossible to remain at the Imperial after two young women knocked on my fathers hotel room door at 11pm as a prank. I found the staff to be helpful and anxious about the welfare of my father, but they thought we had booked the holiday knowing fully that students would be in the majority.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Doreen S
Reviewed 29 July 2013

have just spent a week at this hotel, when we arrived we noticed banners and posters advertising education first, we were dissapointed to find that there were more teenage students than hotel guests. We asked the Chevron rep. why we were not informed of the hotel status and her reply was we did not know that it was also occupied by students, Is this rep blind? she visits every week, banners and posters all over the place and she did not see them. It is high season but the bar was not open, only the pool bar, I'm sorry but I don't like drinking wine from plastic cups, If you wanted an afternoon swim in the pool, tough, it,s packed with students, notice stated no more than 20 in the pool at one time,there was far more than that, so we did not bother to use the pool.there is an 11.30 pm curfew on the students. but at 11.15 pm they are shouting and banging doors. On the door to the sun terrace was a notice stating that it was a student area, when we asked why, we were told that we may use it, then why was the damn notice put there in the first place. The rooms were clean but tatty and need redecorating. the staff were very friendly as the Maltese usually are. all in all we wil not use this hotel again, we noticed that the Sliema Hotel and the Plaza Hotel also have these students BEWARE I bet they are not mentioned in the brochure

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phil O
Reviewed 28 July 2013

What a start to our well deserved holiday. We had arrived at 12 noon to be told we couldn't book in until 2pm-fair enough. The staff said we could go through to the pool area and have a meal/drink until booking in time, which we did. Food was great, staff serving great but, lots of students making lots of noise. At 2pm we went to reception to be told they didn't have our name on their list!!?? To be fair within half an hour they had us booked into The Park Hotel which was closer to the sea front and an upgrade to a 4 star. After speaking to the Rep with Supreme, on the Sunday, her attitude was " Oh this happens all the time at the Imperial and they've given you an upgrade" !!!! Not the point!! As it turns out the EF students are all over Sliema and other areas of Malta, this needs to be included in info so, holiday makers can make an informed decision whether to go or not. After speaking to other people we were told that these students are there regularly and the Imperial prefers to take them?! We heard nothing but bad things about these EF students and saw nothing but bad behaviour and rudeness from them. Whoever is in charge of them need to teach them manners and consideration for others. The hotel interior could do with some maintenance, unfortunately we never got to view a room, so can't say. They were very apologetic and told us we could come back and have dinner on them free of charge and use the hotel pool anytime we wanted, we didn't as this was a very dissapointing start to our holiday. We never got told who's was at fault with the booking, but judging by how much fawning went on we think it was the hotel. Wouldnt book there again even though this was our hotel choice. I think this needs to be looked at by holiday companies if this is a regular occurence at this hotel, as it's a poor start to a holiday for anyone. Sliema was lovely and the Maltese people are very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Didn't get the chance to get into a room. Service at the pool was great, friendly staff, good fo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gloriascotland
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I was been here for three weeks... Terrible service, teens screaming all day everywhere, dirty rooms and the staff of the hotel was very rude. The wifi doesn't work very well. The structure of the hotel is really beautiful, but the organisation and the administration is awful.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Svieth
Reviewed 14 July 2013

what a terrible surprise to discover while registering that this beautiful genuine hotel is packed with EF customers (silly teens in packets of hundreds here to pretend learning English but better shouting in corridors and invading the pool).Impossible to sleep later than 6:30 am with even the staff yelling in Maltese in corridors. Poor service, gloomy breakfast, just the location is fine and offered us beautiful escapes. But for no reason, accept to drag yourself there

Room Tip: just run away till it's time
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank rillantec
Reviewed 4 July 2013

After reading other reviews we were worried, it's not as full of foreign language students as we expected, they seem to be kept away from the other hotel guests and generally controlled.

The hotel has been grand in the past and at present could really do with some care and attention it looks tired decoration wise.

We stayed on the ground floor, the room and bed were clean with clean towels daily, bathroom also clean. What a shame there are no balconies though and ours was a shower room only. We had air con and a kettle with tea and coffee ready to go.

Breakfast was fresh daily, you are hard to please if you are unable to find something you like, 4 different breads, cold meats and cheese, cereal, yogurt, fruit, eggs and beans. For €3 you could get a full English breakfast made to order.

We paid £36 per night for bed and breakfast it's a bargain for a short stay and easily accessible from Sliema and Buggiba bay.

There are plenty of sun beds and umbrellas around the pool, the pool snack bar serves tasty food and cold drinks served by friendly staff.

A comfy chair would have been lovely to sit in under the shaded patio instead of just hard garden chairs.

Checking in and out was easy as was ordering a taxi to get back to the airport 30 mins away, cost €24.

I would go back in time if I could guarantee the students were as well behaved.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple