“Stepping back in time”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My 19 year old daughter and I stayed at the hotel in September and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the Hotel was a little tired and frayed a round the edges, but still had that hint of granduer from it's hey day when the then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip would visit while he was stationed in Malta. But what really made the stay so enjoyable where the staff, who couldn't have been nicer and where happy answer my long list of tourist type questions. We only had breakfast in the hotel which was a buffet style, a full English was a available at a small cost and needed to be booked in advance, however, from the many friends we made (I have never stayed somewhere before where everyone spoke to each other) said Dinner time was a real experience, Faulty Towers comes to mind, something I know wished we had experienced.
The location was perfect a 10 min stroll to either Sliema Ferries, where you can get the Ferry or bus to Valletta or or down to the promenade that took you to St Julian's bay, which had a wide range of Restuarants.
If you are looking for somewhere that's reasonably priced, clean, good air conditioning, friendly but not luxurious then this is the place for you.

2  Thank Siobhan F
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear esteemed clients,

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to contribute and share your experience at the Imperial Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I took note of all your constructive comments which will help us improve our services.

Once again Thank You and do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Imperial Hotel in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Overpriced, poor food, basic bedroom terrible, larger bedroom at best adequate, plumbing ancient, pool in need of repair, many sun chairs broken and all the covers filthy. Exaggerated idea of what they had to offer. It has had its day and needs a major overhaul an d new management

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I suspect like a lot of future customers I was reading the reviews of the hotel over the summer with some trepidation and thinking of a cancellation. My experience however was very pleasant and entertaining. The facilities are as described in the hotels site, If you are looking for modern beds/furniture/decor you're in the wrong place but the room was quite large cleaned every day and had everything working properly. There were some areas where just a lick of new paint could have brightened things up but an extensive revamp with all the tiles in the place would be very costly. The staff were generally helpful and friendly although the comedy barman appeared to have disappeared in the latter days, probably as a result of the slanging match with his boss who appeared to be chasing him around the bar at one stage (Manuel did come to mind).
Breakfast was a bit chaotic the first few days but extra staff/trainees appeared to be drafted in and breakfast and the odd evening meals we had there became very efficient.
The garden and pool area are excellent as is the site of the hotel and all parts of Sliema peninsula can be reached in under 10 mins.
Overall a decent value base to explore Malta from and If I was returning at this time of the year would definitely consider again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matty49
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your experience at the Imperial and appreciate and value your constructive comments which will help us improve in our services.

As all things, while technology is there to help, it also has its positives and negatives. I appreciate your comments that when one reads comments placed by various clients, one could consider going elsewhere and as you kindly stated, you read with trepidation.
However, your personal experience confirmed that not all that is stated is true, although we surely do not accept to be perfect.

I can confirm that the barman you are referring to is no longer in our employment when his manager brought the shortcomings of the particular employee to our attention.

As such please accept our apologies for any shortcomings that you experienced during your stay with us.

While thanking you once again for your contribution which would help us improve on our services, I do look forward to welcome you to the Imperial in the near furture.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We just spent 10 nights at the Imperial hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel has a lot of character - I know some visitors think of this as tatty and old fashioned, but for me it gives a real charm to the place. This is an old colonial type hotel - it's not trying to be a boutique hotel (thank goodness) - just a classic traditional Maltese hotel.

The pool area is nice and relaxing. Breakfasts are probably the worst feature although okay. You can pay 3 euros for a cooked breakfast although we didn't bother.

We found the staff very helpful and friendly. The location is very good for Sliema and roads lead down to the seafront in most directions. It's quite a steep walk from the ferries but other directions are much more gentle.

We would definitely go back - and plan to do so. If you want a boutique hotel don't go there, but if you want something traditional with character then I recommend it.

Room Tip: Room with a view is nice - ours overlooked the pool and we could see all the way to Valletta. Bus...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barco22

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience at The Imperial and appreciate and value your constructive comments which will help us improve in our services.

I am truly sorry that we have disappointed you with our breakfast and would appreciate if you could contact me personally to share your expectations.
As you kindly stated, although we are a 151 year old building it has a character and portrays colonial, classical and traditional Malta.

Your personal experience confirms that not all that is written is true, although while we surely do accept that we are not perfect, we do try our best to meet the expectations of all our clients even those that travel on a budget holiday.

While thanking you once again for your contribution which would help us improve on our services, I do look forward to welcome you to the Imperial in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Bless it ! ... There's something slightly loveable about The Imperial which we swiftly renamed Fawlty Towers ... The staff are in the main depressed and grumpy ... I asked one how he was and he said I will be ok when I get out of this bloody place ! When the door wouldn't work to our room the staff at reception had an argument amongst themselves about who should go and sort it out while I stood and listened .... Tell her to go open it herself said one of them before they reluctantly came with me. I felt sorry for them as it must be quite hard to work in somewhere that is so unloved. The room was grim despite requesting the loveliest room for a special occasion ... It was small dark and a bit grotty and the bathroom was like something out of a bad 60s sitcom ... The aircon spat out water and sparks in the middle of the night and despite reporting it continued to do so. This place has so much potential ... I sat around the pool fantasising about being the hotel inspector and restoring it to its glory ... But despite this you can't help but feel
Some affection for it and gain much laughter from people's tales of Fawlty towers around the pool !!! We made the mistake of visiting The Palace hotel round the corner and it was so gorgeous, clean and amazing ... Worth saving up and going to next time. With a bit of love this place could be equally lovely ... I hope someone decides to love it before it declines further ... And maybe someone could love up the staff too at the same time ... Bless it ! we concluded but never again !

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Hotelgoddessqueen

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to contribute on Tripadvisor which is highly appreciated.
I am very sorry that you consider our staff grumpy. However, the feedback I have from clients is that our staff are helpful, singing and have high humour. I would appreciate if you could contact me personally to indicate the ‘grumpy’ person who would be fine when s/he is out of the place so that if the employee requires assistance, we are there to help out.

I am aware of one incident that the newly installed door lock could not open, however, I was not aware that my employees ‘at reception had an argument amongst themselves about who should go and sort it out’. I am truly sorry and very disappointed with such behaviour.

If the AC ‘spate out water and sparked’ the circuit breaker would have blocked any electrical connection, yet you did not mention this. I would be very grateful if you could contact me personally to give me more details so as I would investigate it in depth since not even clients who have and are currently accommodated in the room in question reported anything of this sort.
While you compared us to The Palace (a 5 Star hotel) you have to also compare the room rate – as the English saying goes, compare like with like.

While thanking you once again for your contribution and for blessing us I once again apologise.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My friend and I have just come back from 2 weeks in fabulous Malta where we stayed at a fascinating hotel - Imperial in Sliema. Despite adverse comments on Trip Advisor re students, we found it to be a quiet hotel about 10 minutes (up hill) walk from the sea front. First impressions were mixed as we arrived late at night but the Receptionist was very helpful and gave us a list of places to go - although the only place we wanted to go at that time was bed! Our room - 231 - was not the best. Despite longing for a cup of tea, there was no kettle etc. but this was soon remedied by the gentleman on reception who managed to locate the necessary equipment for us. The beds were not comfortable, the room was dark and the shower was more of a dribble and the noise from the very busy road outside was disturbing. After two days we asked for an upgrade and were quickly re-allocated to a room opposite - 216 - which faced the garden and was much lighter, better beds and a shower which was much better than 231. Obviously this was a dearer room but well worth the money. Rooms are cleaned, bed linen changed and fresh towels supplied every day. The hotel itself is 'faded glory' but you are immediately struck by the sweeping staircase either side of the entrance. There are two big rooms in which to sit comfortably, a lovely garden area and swimming pool. The dining room was fine as was the food. We found the speed in which the tables were cleared and re-laid for the following meal quite amusing - perhaps the staff should concentrate more on actually serving guests and ensuring their orders were taken and dealt with promptly rather than on setting tables. However, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and the choice of food very good. One criticism is that the bar was not well attended by staff but this was only a minor point. The attractive lady who runs the accounts office quite often appeared and talked to guests to see if everything was ok. She was extremely friendly and helpful. My friend and I are ladies of a pensionable age but very active and we had done our homework on the internet prior to our holiday and planned our visits ahead of our holiday. This certainly paid off as there are many places of interest to visit. The local buses are always on time and extremely reasonable as you only need to pay for a day pass which covers everywhere on the island. Hop on and hop off buses are good but dearer of course. Highlights were Gozo, a harbour trip which was nearly 2 hours long and free with a ticket for the hop on bus, a jeep trip, Mdina, Golden Bay and Mellieha Bay. A trip to Popeye village was also worthwhile - not just for children! All in all, a fabulous holiday and a stay at an hotel which we would recommend highly - but if you cannot walk up a quite steep hill you would be better to pick a sea front hotel. Thanks to all the staff at the Imperial.

Room Tip: Do not choose a road facing room - too noisy. Garden facing ones are much better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sue C
Reviewed 26 September 2013

After reading the reviews during the Summer about the students, I was thinking that we'd made a terrible mistake.
However on arrival the students had all left and I would say the hotel was may half full if that.

Our flight had been delayed at Gatwick and so we didn't arrive until just after midday and only one of our two rooms was available straight away with the other we were told would be ready at 2 p.m. which it was.

Lock and key for room safe was available for a fee of 2 Euros per day.

The receptionist apologised for this was very helpful giving us a map and directions to St Julian's and the Sea front at Sliema, so we were able to go out and explore a bit.

As we were tired from travelling we decided to try the restaurant on our first evening as we were staying on B&B basis, meat and fish were well cooked, but pretty tasteless. Service though quick, with hardly time to glance at the menu was not really up to scratch, which I would put down to poor training.
In their defence, there did seem to be a severe shortage of staff in the evenings.

Breakfasts were fine if a bit basic with a fair choice of cereals, yogurt, breads, jams, cheese and a couple of different sliced meats. There was also Scrambled eggs, Baked beans and boiled eggs and sometimes Croissants. You could also have a fry up for 3 Euros extra.

Bedrooms, were dark with poor lighting and as with the bathrooms in need of refurbishment. Beds were comfortable, though with a smell of dampness.
But as we were only in the rooms to sleep, shower and change it was endurable and it was kept clean, even became used to it by the end of the stay!

Lounge and outside pool area could also do with a lick of paint, but was comfortable enough. Bar prices ok and in line with what most of the restaurants etc were charging in Sliema. Only used the pool once and that too was in need of repair with broken and cracked tiles.

Computer near reception was free to use as was wifi

So in summary, yes our stay was bearable, but just that, it subtracted from the holiday rather than added to it and so I would not recommend a stay here at present, but if they spent money out on refurbishment and employed a couple more trained waiting staff during day and evening then it could be quite good.