“Our favourite Malta Hotel”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have been to the Imperial twice for fairly long winter stays. We absolutely love it. The staff are helpful and the hotel is from an earlier era. Some reviewers have said that the rooms are a bit dated, that is really one of the things we like about it. If you prefer buffet meals and uniform furnishings don't book here. If you like an Hotel with character DO.
It is a ten minute walk from the sea, but a bus for Valletta stops outside the door every half hour. We consider it extremely good value for money, and we can't wait to get back, this winter.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the garden. Very big clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pandn53

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have just returned from two weeks in Malta which where wonderful....But not the hotel.

The moment I arrived at the hotel my heart sunk and deep depression descended (normally a happy go lucky sort of guy). The locations although central for Sliema not good if you are unable walk far or have young children. But this is not the hotel's fault I chose the hotel and should have done my home work around location.

After my first impression I was kind of hoping it would get better. When I got to the room...No chance, dated decor a safe you had to pay for which look unsafe and a TV out of the ark.

If you are expecting to see any TV while your here forget about it the only English channel are the news channels of which there are two. If you are thinking about using a web base device this can only be done in the lounge - reception area. The rooms are clean every day and the staff who do this are very nice and do a great job.

We had half board but I wouldn't recommend this as the food was crap. In the 2 weeks I only managed to eat in the restaurant 4 times two of the times only managing to eat the ice cream. Breakfast isn’t much better scrambled eggs each day and I love scrambled egg …but not their’s after only one mouthful I knew I couldn't eat it so lived on bean on toast.

In the lounge area there is a bar I call the Moon Bar as there is absolutely no atmosphere what so ever. Except when the little old Maltese ladies pop in for a Game of cards (highlight of my week)
If you choose to eat out as I did often. Don’t expect to get a night cap at the hotel as the bar tends to closes early 11: pm so we use to head round the corner to the Victoria Hotel.

The bar at the Imperial is also a place I like to refer to as Mosquito Alley. As I received over 100 mosquito bite while sitting in this area (see pictures) Now why keep sitting there I hear you say…It’s where you get the internet. it is also an area where you would think the Hotel management would take steps to ensure it be relatively mosquito free after all there are plug you can use to keep them away and something we never experience in any other hotel on Malta we visited.

We did run in to a lady who is a director of the Hotel and in fairness did listen to our grievances. Which resulted in us getting a new mattress in our room and a note at reception advising customer about the unusual mosquito activity Malta was experiencing and offering to sell them a wall plug for there room for 10 euro’s(only 5 euro round the corner) she also said they were reviewing the catering but not in time for us.

The funniest thing however was after telling her my nick name for the
Bar-lounge area the staff started to appear with these plugs to ward off mosquito’s….As soon as she left the staff then turn them all off. How strange.

If you like swimming the pool is really small didn’t go in once instead we headed round to other hotels. There is a nice infinity pool at the Victoria hotel…But we spent most of our pool time at the Dolmen Hotel Bugibba …half hour bus ride but they have 4 pools and you can dive in to the sea….and wonderful restaurants not to be missed and great apple pie.
Would I stay at the Imperial Hotel again No

2  Thank Gary T
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Esteemed customer,

Firstly I would like to thank you for spending precious time to write on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately I did not have the pleasure to make personal acquaintance with you since I was abroad during your stay with us.

I am very sorry to read that your ‘heart sunk and deep depression descended’ on arriving at the hotel. This type of description of the feelings that clients report to us is very very rare to hear and unfortunately you are one of the handful of clients to express such a feeling and totally differ from the numerous repeat clients, some of which have been returning for the last 55 years. We are so very sorry about this. However, I am informed by members of our staff that you and your wife have never expressed or shown such feelings during your stay. This same report comes from the rep representing your travel agent in Malta. I am very sure that if during your 14 night stay you pointed out to the Rep your disappointment, they would have alerted us about it – since you failed to point this situation to any of the staff members, and alternate accommodation to your liking would have been offered.

I am sure that if you read the tour operator’s description, you would have been pre-informed that the Safe provided in all rooms is at a charge. With regards to the TV channels, I am very sorry to note that you conveniently forgot the rest of other guest staying at the hotel, which at the time of your stay, hailed from 31 different countries. This included 15 delegations attending an UN-backed conference which was running in the same period of your stay. Thus, the hotel has to cater for different nationalities and not English only. Allow me to point out that during my many stays in the UK, I had no Maltese TV – not to mention other languages!

According to the records we have, I differ from your statement that you only eat four times and these included Rabbit, Beef and Chicken dishes amongst others. For breakfast, which is an enriched continental breakfast we serve the following dishes: scrambled eggs and now alternating with fried eggs, baked beans, boiled eggs, croissants, fruit salad which is different daily, Yogurt, orange wedges, two types of cake, vegetarian corner offering four types of salads, peanuts, raisins, four types of cereals, to types of cheese, two type of cold cut meats, five types of bread including Maltese, fruit, white, brown loaf and rolls, three types of jams, three types of juices, mineral water, six types of coffees including cappuccino and espresso, hot chocolate and different types of teas including herbal infusions.

I truly appreciate your comments about our room attendants and on their behalf I thank you.
I am truly sorry that due to the prolongation of very good weather except for the few showers and with temperatures still running in the 20’s we are experiencing mosquitos. Unfortunately we have no control on insects but as you rightly stated when you met one of the directors and you pointed this out to her, she took immediate action.

Allow me to point out for the readers who might be following Tripadvisor that the surface area of the ‘small swimming pool’ is that of 110 square meters and not shared with other hotels (4 & 5 Star) when you kindly described the infinity pool, which are found round the corner from the Imperial. The four swimming pools that you kindly referred to at the 4 Star Dolmen Hotel has to cater for over 400 rooms. I feel that for some reason you have booked the Imperial in Sliema erroneously since you stated that you travelled 30 minutes each way (an hour every day) to the Dolmen found in Qawra.

Once again I do apologise for not enjoying your stay with us and letting us know about this only now.

Yours truly,
IMPERIAL HOTEL
Sliema,
MALTA

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I prepaid an 18-day stay without food through otel.com at Imperial Hotel in October 2013 but I left after only 9 days due to the very depressing room and the insects even though I knew I wouldn't be getting my money back.

After a few days my feet and arms were completely covered with mosquito bites that were beginning to show signs of infection, I also had a colony of very small ants in my room and I found two dead cockroaches in the bathroom. I guess there had to be poison somewhere put out by the cleaners?

When I complained about the infestation, they gave me a can of poison and told me to spray the room before going to bed.

The room itself had some mould problems and was very bare and unpleasant the window was facing the road but so high up you couldn‘t really see outside but at least it let some natural light in, a welcome change from the cold fluorescent lighting.

In the room there were three short 190 cm single beds (even though I was travelling alone) a desk and a chair and a 12 inch TV with 5 or six channels only Sky News in English.

I had a quick look at some of the other guest’s room and I must admit mine was the worst by far. I suspect the management assign the better rooms to guests who pay higher rates and have their meals at the hotel.

Bathroom was very brown and very tatty.

When I arrived, I waited for my room to be ready for two hours only to be given the key to a room that was already occupied (so much for safety). When there was a new face at the reception, they just handed me the key without asking for my name and checking the register.

I only had one meal at the hotel and it was ok for the price.

Most of the staff were friendly but not very efficient others where argumentative and downright hostile. First night there I witnessed one of them screaming his head off at an elderly guest well into his 80’s when he complained that the restaurant had closed early that night without notice.

The janitor did not respect the “do not disturb sign” when he came banging on my door to “service the curtain rails” The cleaning crew where very loud and woke me up at 7 every morning.

There was a fine for running the AC when not in the room!

The common areas are much nicer and they really tell the tale of what was once a splendid hotel in need of restoration. The courtyard and pool were the nicest part. WIFI was at times very weak.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Solotraveler122
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Judging by some of the "reviews" on here we had no idea as what to expect when we arrived. We had absolutely no problems whatsoever during our stay, towels and sheets changed daily, room cleaned to a good standard. Yes, the hotel is a bit dated and a few mod cons such as handrails for the bath and new mattresses wouldn't go amiss but other than that the room was okay for our week long stay. English language television available was Sky News, Euronews and Dubai One. Air conditioning worked fine too. The breakfast was adequate with baked beans, eggs, meats, salad, cereals, fruits etc.... always available. Very nice lounge/bar area and also a very nice pool area too. Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming during our entire stay. We did have a leaky pipe in the bathroom and this was rectified immediately, so well done to the staff for that. As for some of these negative reviews, I often wonder if people realise they are staying in a 3*** hotel and not the New York Hilton etc? The ultimate question "Would we come and stay here again?" Yes we would.

5  Thank ADW11Notts
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Esteemed client/s,

Thank you very much for spending some of your precious time to share your personal views on The Imperial Hotel.

Your valued comments are appreciated by all the team especially when one read a number of comments which in many instances are far from being fair. However, we accept all comments and leave the true picture to be portrayed by clients such as your selves.

I took a note of your point regarding the mattresses which are changed over a few years and are currently being changed gradually.

While thanking you once again for your time, I do look forward to welcome you back to The Imperial Hotel.

Yours Sincerely,

Sliema, Malta

Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel and i met other returning visitors from last year so there must be something about it to make people want to return. One guest I met visits three or four times a year. This hotel is old and needs serious money to bring it up to 21st century standards. As a single traveler my room was not overly large although I am sure I could have paid extra for a larger room if required. There were two single beds reminiscent of WW2 cots with not very thick sprung mattresses which could inflict serious injury from migrating springs if turning over too quickly My room however was cleaned daily with fresh towels provided even without asking.. I am sure my sheets were changed almost daily as they had an element of freshness to them when I eventually climbed into bed. I got a few mosquito bites following rain on arrival but the mosquitoes seemed to disappear with the reduction in room temperature provided by the AC during the night. The AC was quiet enough to sleep soundly until woken up feeling distinctly cold when you switched the AC using the RC provided.
The building was not originally built as a hotel but as a private residence and has a certain echo caused by the tiled floors and walls along all corridors leading to the bedrooms. It is true to say that it is impossible to enter a bedroom quietly as the key turning in the lock can be heard 50 yards away at the other end of the corridor, also early risers heading to the airport or early-start tours could be heard trundling suitcases along the corridors early in the morning. The solution is to buy a packet of disposable earplugs from boots before traveling and take a small torch as we had a power cut during my stay caused by a local grid failure not the hotel. There is emergency lighting in the corridors but not in the rooms so a torch is handy for making that cup of tea.
The food was adequate if sometimes not very stimulating. A cooked English breakfast could be obtained for an extra 3 Euros if required above the include continental buffet style breakfast. I was amused at the large number of boiled eggs that were never eaten at breakfast and wondered when the penny would drop. No doubt these would be recycled into an evening starter somewhere along the line. Why not if they are adequately fresh? A few dried raisins to go onto the bran flakes would liven the cereals up a bit and the toasting bread was a bit lightweight. Dinner was a three starter, three main course choice of menu, details of which were placed in advance on a notice board in the lobby. I ate in the dining room more times than I went out to eat in local restaurants other than when entertaining.
This hotel is run on a tight budget to reflect the low rates for room and board but gives good value for money. All staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful if approached in a polite way especially the team who look after the rooms. During my two stays I always felt like a valued guest and not a number when dealing with the long-serving management over any small issues.
The swimming pool and adjacent covered terrace are the ideal places to unwind and catch the sun or shade according to your needs and are ideal for meeting other guests for discussing the days activities. I never found a fitness centre or spa but the again I did not look too hard. A poolside bar is available but service can be intermittent at times.
This is a three star hotel providing a three star service most of the time. You can find fault anywhere if you wish but if you want five star service then this is not the hotel for you.
Would I come here again? The answer is yes, even if only to keep the hard working staff in employment. I believe this is the oldest hotel in Sliema and may be in Malta and deserves to be nurtured through the current recession by our patronage. If it was good enough for the Queen (as Princess Elizabeth) in the early 1950,s then it is good enough for me.

Room Tip: I believe the inside rooms overlooking the garden and away from the streets are the most quiet but q...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Maurice T

Dear Esteemed client,

I would like to thank you for your precious time to share your personal opinion / views on The Imperial Hotel with the Tripadvisor community.

Your valued comments reflecting your stay with us will help give a fairer and true picture of us and our team. I am happy to note that you have joined the very very long list of repeat visitors – the longest returning repeat clients will be returning soon for the 54th year.

You are correct in stating that due to the current financial difficulties world-wide and travellers looking for the least expensive holidays, yet expecting 12 star service, we are running the hotel on tight budgets whilst we ensuring that the level of service is not touched. Our service is paramount and we want to ensure that clients are valued and not just a number. This is the character that repeat clients expect and this is what we are proud to offer.

You are correct in stating that the hotel is ‘old’ and in fact we are proud and honoured to confirm that the Imperial Hotel is a 151 years old architectural gem and this makes us the oldest serving hotel in Malta.

While thanking you once again for your time and your constructive comments which help us improve on what we are offering, I do look forward to welcome you back to The Imperial Hotel.

Yours Sincerely,

Sliema, Malta

Reviewed 27 October 2013

worst hotel ever place stay away as my wife and i experience was horrendous due to being eaten alive by insects in our room caused by dirty bed linen and dirty mattress.... we had to pay over 100 euros in local chemist to treat our illness... we discovered our bites on sunday morning after arriving on the saturday but put it down to local mosquitos... how wrong we were as on monday morning our bodys were covered in insect bites.... i asked at reception if it was possible to move myself and wife or change all bedlinen... the reply i got was why dont you go along to local supermarket and purchase some insect spray... not the response you would expect due to the seriousness of my complaint...it was only when i took myself and wife to local doctors and he said these were 100% bites caused by dirty bedlinen that the hotel decided to help us.. well if you call me asking them at 8.00 am to replace all bed linen and then going out till 2.30 pm only to discover on going back to our room that nothing had been touched being helpfull complete joke.. in the end i had to purchase 2 plug in insect repellants and ask reception for insect spray so that we could continue with our weeks holiday.. if we could have got a flight home there and then we would have gone home it was that bad ..so if you decide to book this hotel after reading this good luck as it needed all rooms fumigated.. oops sorry i forgot about the rest of hotel breakfast was a complete shambles.. boiled and scrambled eggs every morning no sausage or bacon etc etc as you had to pay 3 euros extra if you wanted these never heard this before in my life.. rooms filthy.. bathroom badly in need of refurbishment furniture non existent.. walls paper thin you could hear every little noise no matter how low real shambles of a hotel really only 1 star only because the pool area was nice.. thanks for reading this folks as i said please stay away its also on the busiest road in sliema so traffic is mental night and day no sleep unless you take really strong sleeping pills???

Room Tip: just stay away thats my best tip
2  Thank jaws1
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear customer/s,

Thank you for spending your precious time to share your ‘experience’.

I appreciate and value your comments which will surely be looked into in detail and surely not ignored. Unfortunately there is no indication of the date of stay which makes it difficult for me to verify the information being posted, especially when I found no record of the alleged incident.

I am extremely disappointed to read that our front office staff directed you to ‘you go along to local supermarket and purchase some insect spray’ when they could have easily sprayed the room and also supplied you with insect spray although rooms are sprayed daily after being washed. I would appreciate if you could furnish me with full details of the person you are mentioning so that appropriate action could be taken.

Your allegation with regards to dirty linen is far from the truth since we change linen every two days while towels are changed every day. Furthermore, to ensure that our linen meets our expectations, we do not send our linen to laundries but we have an in-house laundry and linen is washed at 90ᵒ C, thus ensuring high standards of cleanliness and hygiene. In your above comments, you stated that ‘a local doctor’ stated that ‘these were 100% bites caused by dirty bedlinen’. However, while placing this serious allegation you did not indicate who the doctor was so that we could verify these allegations in view of the fact that as stated earlier, bed linen is washed in high temperatures.

I can only confirm that due to the temperatures we have in Malta, mosquitoes are common up till late November when temperatures start falling.

As for b’fast, the hotel offers enriched continental breakfast which includes, scrambled eggs, baked beans, boiled eggs, croissants, fruit salad which is different daily, Yogurt, orange wedges, two types of cake, vegetarian corner offering four types of salads, peanuts, raisins, four types of cereals, to types of cheese, two type of cold cut meats, five types of bread including Maltese, fruit, white, brown loaf and rolls, three types of jams, three types of juices, mineral water, six types of coffees including cappuccino and espresso and tea.

It is very hard to believe that there is no furniture in our rooms which are fully air-conditioned and individually controlled, have at least two single beds a wardrobe and a dressing-table.
To describe that the walls are ‘paper thin’ is very difficult to comprehend when the Imperial is a 151 year old building with solid sandstone walls being 25cm minimum up to 78cm thick in most places.

While thanking you once again for your contribution which would help us improve on our services, I do apologise for any inconvenience and would appreciate if you could contact me personally.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Myself and two friends recently spent a week at the Imperial. The rooms, although a little frayed and in need of an update, were adequate and were cleaned daily and there was plenty of hot water and clean towels every day. The staff were all friendly and very helpful although they struggled to provide a hot cup of coffee in the bar area. The breakfasts were adequate but the evening meals left a lot to be desired. However, a member of our party inadvertently left a purse containing £30 and a bank card in her room and this was returned by registered post by the Imperial so full marks for honesty.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank VALERIE A

Dear customer/s,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Imperial and appreciate and value your constructive comments which will help us improve in our services.

Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings that you experienced during your stay with us.

While thanking you once again for your contribution which would help us improve on our services, I do apologise once again for any inconvenience.