Imperial Hotel
US$107
Priceline
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsstudents stayingbus stopclean towelsst julianshotel is situatedbusespositionwaterfrontgozo
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel is at the top of the hill in the centre of Sliema, with the shops, ferries, buses, beach-front promenade and tourist facilities all a five minute walk away at the bottom of the hill. there is a bus (21) which will bring you from the Sliema Ferries up the hill almost to the hotel door as well.

The hotel is all marble and glass, and is the oldest continually operating hotel in Malta. The rooms are huge, as is the lounge area and the poolside. the restaurant serves meals each night, which is great for those who prefer not to eat out then walk up the hill to rest. The only let-down was the bathroom, which is in need of a complete rebuild. The hotel is gradually being updated and I'm sure this is on the list. For the price and the one negative point, I heartily recommend this hotel for budget travellers looking for a little luxury.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the pool side of the hotel. The views from the front are blocked by other buildings and, I believe, a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Ron B
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 1 week from the 31st March.
The hotels public areas are bright and clean.
The bedrooms however are a different matter.
The room I stayed in had not seen a coat of paint for many years and was very dowdy.
The bathroom needed a complete makeover. The area round the plug had lost most of its enamel and looked dirty. It put me off using it.
Have this hotel not heard of matress covers and fitted sheets. My sheet was twisted every morning and made the bed uncomfortable.
Malteese people are very friendly with the exception of the Food and Beverage Manager in this hotel.
I was in the area of the reception when he was telling off a patron of the hotel in a loud and bombastic manner, I was horrified that this was happening in full view of guests and could be heard all over the ground floor. Why he did not take the paying guest into an office I will never know. It was unforgivable and I felt very sorry for the guest.
I would stay at this hotel again as it was value for money but I would like to be assures that something was done about the bedroom and bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room allocated and insist on a change if not satisfied
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TONYVENTURE
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We chose to stay at the Imperial Hotel because we like small hotels and the virtual tour we watched on the web site made it all look wonderful! We read reviews that were good and some that were bad but just loved the look of the place.We were not disappointed! The staff were fab, nothing was too much trouble.Our room was clean, the towels were snowy white,the bed was comfortable and HUGE! we lost sight of each other once we hit the bed! Air con worked and so did the heater when it was a bit chilly.Our room looked over the street but no problem it was so quiet apart from the church bells which could be heard from all rooms and we found charming.Food was plentiful and varied, the chefs were always around to help and advise,Joseph and Malcolm and the waiting staff deserve medals for their hard work.The Artichoke leaves were to die for!! The barman in his white shirt gave excellent service and the reception staff went the extra mile.
Because the hotel is small you soon get on chatting terms with everyone, it lends itself to friendliness and we made some great friends, Dot and poor mr knees,The Dorset trio,Paul and Mandy and of course the lovely Pete and Sylvie.We had a great time and would recommend the Imperial magic!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ken T
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Sir / madam,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience at the Imperial with other potential clients.

We appreciate your comments which truly describes The Imperial Hotel – Malta’s longest serving hotel since 1865.

We do look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

With kind regards,

Joe Attard

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I spent there 4 nights. Hotel market itself as 3 star establishment. It could be true, but many years ago. Now, it is pretty basic and definitely well below 3 star mark. I paid a very good price for my stay therefore I cannot complain. Yes, it's true what others write about entrance hall - impressive main hall. But the rest of the hotel remind me of an old hospital with big corridors with tiles on the floors, white walls, ramps for people with disabilities etc. Kind of strange feeling. Rooms are clean, although furniture is dated and tired. Bathroom clean, but again, well past the best days. Some tiles on the floor cracked. Doors are paper-thin - you can hear everything from the corridor. TV set is an old 14" set, with very simple remote control and limited number of TV channels. Breakfasts are pretty simple, choice is average. Staff seemed friendly. Lots of older guests, mainly from the UK. Good location in the centre of Sliema, however you have to walk to the ferry (up or downhill, depending on your direction). Good hotel if the price you pay is right. Don't expect much, but still it's a decent and clean place to sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sir / madam,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience at The Imperial hotel.

We do appreciate your opinion when describing The Imperial Hotel – Malta’s longest serving hotel since 1865. The fact that it was constructed in 1865 is as you stated very visible in the wide corridors it has and which are architecturally expected of that time. However, although I respect your opinion, to describe the long wide corridors as a ‘hospital’ is not right as you are giving the impression that you would accept a long narrow corridor found in many modern hotels.
I differ to agree with your comments referring to some ramps we have. It seems that unfortunately you are not aware of laws around the globe which are there to see that persons with difficulty in mobility should and must have easy facilities to make use of any part of the property. We are in an age where discrimination (and that is in the widest spectrum) should be something of the past.

We are proud that The Imperial is fully compatible and compliant to what the law requires and I can say that a good number of clients are actually clients that unfortunately have mobility problems and our Staff members ensure that these clients are given particular attention at all time.

As for b’fast, I think it is right to say what is offered at The Imperial as you described it as ‘pretty simple, choice is average’. One finds four (4) types of coffee – including espresso, we offer clients the choice of Moccacino, Cappuccino and Hot Chocolate, four (4) types of tea – including herbal teas, three (3) types of cold meats, two (2) types of cakes, scrambled / fired eggs (alternating daily), boiled eggs, sausages / bacon (alternating), fresh fruit salad, yogurt, Vegetarian’s Corner and five (5) types of bread including Fruit and Brown to choose from, five (5) types of cereals, jams, marmalade and local honey.

Once again, I thank you for your custom and for spending some time to share your experience.

With kind regards,

Joe Attard

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I agree with Juscius - you get what you pay for. We had a perfectly comfortable, quiet room overlooking the garden - the bathrooms are definitely needing a makeover, but we got a fantastic deal with Amoma [€128 for four nights' B&B] and it was great to see this historic hotel & the lovely staircase - more fun than staying in a plastic modern box. I'm giving it four stars because of the value, the location and the fact it's not a pokey modern hotel - but if you want luxury & up to date decor, then it's not for you. Breakfast is OK - all we wanted was cereal, juice and coffee, but people seemed to be tucking into their cooked breakfasts OK and there was also cheese, ham, etc.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the small supplement to have a "garden" room if you want it really quiet. I certainly would not pay a great deal more than we did, but the location is excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple