“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This hotel has mixed reviews and I do understand them - but it depends what you're after. If you're the type of person who spends most of their time at the hotel around the pool - this isn't the hotel for you. If, like us, you simply use it as a base, to sleep, in order to go out and explore Malta then I cannot fault it!

The hotel has character, yes it's a tad tired and not particularly modern (especially the tiles in the bathrooms!), but it's clean, spacious and the staff are incredibly helpful. The breakfast is standard continental and we didn't go down for dinner as there are plenty of restaurants down in the harbour.

There were a lot of students in the hotel but they put them on the ground floor, we were on the third floor and didn't hear a peep. My only recommendation: if you want a bit of a lie in - put the 'do not disturb' sign on your door - the cleaning staff come round at about 9:30am.

We found the hotel perfect for us, excellent value for money and Malta is a beautiful place to visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kimberley_70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights for a friends wedding and was thankful I couldnt book up at the same time as my friends who were staying in the Roma hotel.
Set approximately 5-10 minutes walk from the promenade uphill and away from the hustle and bustle it took me a while to get my bearings but was also a pleasant walk through the old looking streets.
The hotel itself is somewhat dated but I felt it fitted in with the character of the area and the air conditioning was a godsend.
I stayed on the 3rd floor and enjoyed walking up the grand staircase at the front. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfy. I had a flick through the channels on the TV at one point and it is as you would expect a mix of local and European channels but does have Sky news if you need to keep up with affairs at home.
The pool area is basic but there are plenty of beds and contains a toilet/shower area and there is a place to buy snacks and drinks. The wifi in the hotel is free and although it kept dropping from time to time I found it 'reasonable'

For a budget hotel the Imperial ticks all the right boxes. My friends stayed in the Roma which apparently is a higher rated hotel and they hated every minute. No Air con. Very noisy and a lot smaller and they couldn't believe how better my hotel was and ended up paying for a room of their own in the imperial on our last night.

There is quite a high student influx but they seem to be more on tbe ground floor and didnt bother me where I was staying. I certainly didnt find the hotel noisy.

For me it was a good stay. Just dont expect the ritz.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank GordonAsprey
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have just returned from my holidays from Malta, stayed at this horrible hotel, We stayed at ground floor with lots of EF students together and I did not understand if this was a 3 star hotel or a youth hostel! If I wanted to go to a youth hostel, I could simply have booked from there at a much cheaper price. We did not have any sleep at all during the 3 nights we stayed over there due to noise going on till morning. Additionally our room was very dirty all over and did not have a new look at all with dirty walls with no proper paint due to humidity.The cups and plates were also very dirty at breakfast with stains and we had to clean them before we used them.

4 Thank Aysegul C

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Loved the staff, location,(be prepared to walk) the courtyard, great atmosphere.
Rooms were basic and very clean. A lovely building.
As we were on holiday with family we had 3 rooms, we asked for rooms together and the hotel managed this for us. Our room had fantastic air con. Girls had a modern shower room and 3 beds, lots of space.
There were many young language students in the hotel, but they were very well behaved and didn't cause any problem.
Approx 20 mins from airport.
Looking forward to a return visit next year. Thanks to everyone at hotel, cleaners do an amazing job, we saw some of the students rooms ha ha !

Room Tip: staff will do everything they can to meet any requests, just ask.
6 Thank Mary00000
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have just returned from a delightful family holiday in Malta, made perfect by staying in the Imperial hotel. I can hugely recommend this hotel. The building itself is beautiful and gracious. The staff couldn't be nicer - warm, welcoming and so helpful. We have stayed in the Imperial five times now. I highly recommend it. As a family we love Malta but our holidays there are made even more perfect by the warmly welcoming Imperial. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
6 Thank Christine S
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home last night. My boyfriend and I stayed here for one week. This was our first visit to malta and so didnt know what to expect. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Hotel was gorgeous and very clean. The room we stayed in was a standard room, small but a nice clean bathroom a tv with sky news. Good air con which was great and a safe the key was provided at reception. The pool area was lovley and there was always plenty of sun beds available. The pool side bar was great plenty of drinks and food available and the bar staff were lovley. The location of the hotel was great. Just a short walk to the harbour and beach about 10 mins and plenty of shops, bars just ouside too. We will deff be taking another trip to malta again next year and will be staying with this hotel. Very happy with our stay here. :-D

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rachel A
UK
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel back in May and was almost speechless when checking into my room. It has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, how they have achieved 3 stars is beyond me o_0 ... perhaps they won this accolade in a lottery or something.

The hotel is at the top of a hill, not easily accessible to the next main area Sliema, unless you want to trek down a hill for about 1.5 miles and then back up it again. It is not near the sea nor the town.

Whilst the public areas (foyer / pool section) are ok (ish) the hotel desperately needs investment in a refurbishment programme. The only area that I would state was ok was the public foyer seated area (in a quaint way). The pool area again was ok, although there was never a bar or any form of service on any day at any time .... basically, its a sweet little pool with a few chairs around it.

The breakfast area is chaotic and the food selection was, again, at best, ok/ The staff were always rushed off their feet and it showed in their service, not exactly smiley happy people in this area of the hotel

The front desk staff were polite and civilised, with Peter being extremely helpful and friendly, although I found the eastern european staff cold, distant and uninterested unless they were trying to upgrade your room and extra costs were involved, they knew the price of everything and the value of nothing ... just an observation.

The rooms however were, by far, the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel in my life!!! appalling doesn't even come close to it. Rooms are situated along long hospital type corridors that have probably not seen a lick of paint nor any attention since the hotel was built eons ago. The rooms themselves would suffice for kidnappers holding people hostage, they really are THAT poor!

The first room I was showed, faced a brick wall, old style aluminium window frames and anything else that could be covered in this hateful metal. Twin beds in the room were rock hard with bedding that had probably been in situ since the hotel was built. The floors were the old style Maltese marble, nothing special and not attractive. The bathroom, again a mixture of dirty, old frosted glass and dirty aluminium metal. The bath had substantial rust stains as did the sink. The taps would have been original cheap nasty taps that had long lost any shine and once the toilet was flushed, it took the best part of 1/2 hour to refil with all the noise that accompanies that. The shower was an old rusty hand type shower. Overall the rooms desperately need upgrading and refurbishing.

I eventually (24 hours later) got moved to another room overlooking the pool and garden area which was marginally better, but again, still in need of some serious investment.

The only bar available within the hotel (a small table top style bar) is open until 10pm only!

Other guests had stated that the owner had no interest whatsoever in the hotel other than collecting money and had never spent money on upgrading any part of the hotel since taking ownership many years ago, this was clearly, CLEARLY evident.

Given the options of hotel availability in Malta these days with countless new hotels being built and available, this hotel does not even venture on a scale in comparison. You can find MUCH MUCH better hotels MUCH MUCH cheaper and in better locations.

They say you get what you paid for ..... with this hotel, you most certainly do not!!

Room Tip: Tip for other travellers in choosing a good room??? DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo