Imperial Hotel
US$187
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
LABRANDA Rocca Nettuno Suites(Sliema)(Great Value!)
US$390
US$374
US$194
US$138
  • Beachfront
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel(Sliema)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$119
  • Bar/Lounge
US$161
US$143
  • Room Service
All reviewsstudents stayingbus stopclean towelsst julianshotel is situatedbusespositionwaterfrontgozo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2009

This hotel is a good base for the physically fit to explore all the sites of Malta; you must be fit because Malta is extremely hilly and this hotel is at the top of one of them. There is a bus stop outside, and when you have mastered the local very accurate bus time table the islands are you oyster.

As I was in Malta only to explore and visit the archeological sites I wasn't particularly fussed about my choice of hotel, needing only a warm dry place to sleep. I could not make the A/c deliver warm air, and it was very difficult to sleep at all due to the mosquito problem, not only in my room, but after discussing matter with other guests in their rooms too! Reception were disinterested when I raised the matter promising to leave a spray in my room. On finding no spray, I went to Reception who issued me with an electrical device, but charged for the insect repellant disks to go inside it. As my window would not shut, the inspects were free to come and go at will. The walls and ceiling of the room showed the many marks where previous occupants had swatted the dratted insects in an effort to get to sleep.

The hotel is shabby chic, and the chambermaids do a good job in difficult conditions. I confirm the breakfast is baked beans and scrambled eggs as per other reviews.

Would I stay at this hotel again, no. Would I use the same travel agent (Chevron) again, yes.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank anotherblonde
Reviewed 12 October 2008

i was a bit wary about going to the imperial after i read some of the reviews but when i got here i couldnt fault the place the linen and towels where changed everyday. i stayed for 4 days and the staff and my rep couldnt do enough for us. the room was very clean and the showers (tho dated) where clean and worked. i loved the entrance to the hotel it was so movie like with the winding stairs.this is not a place for young kids there is a lot of hills and if you are after a liveley holiday then this is not the place for you. the food in the hotel was amazing you had the choice of the full cooked breakfasts or you can go conitinetal. the staff are brilliant and we where having a good laugh with the bar staff they made me fee lso much at ease i loved sitting in bar having a drink. the pool was to cold for me but my husband said it was fine haha. i would recomend this place and i will return for a longer stay next time

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank angelface10
Reviewed 10 October 2008

Booked with Malta Direct. A gem of a hotel - OK, a little faded but still with appreciable grandeur and style. Doesn't attract families with youngsters, so a complete absence of noisy screaming children. Tall, marbled lobby, relaxation areas provide a cool, easygoing atmosphere ... half close your eyes and you are back in the days of the British Raj.

Our room (220) was excellent with hardwired aircon and PAYG safe, free TV and tea/coffee equipment. Our windows leaked water during several terrific thunderstorms but apart from that the room was faultless. Airy, spacious, cool. All the staff were highly efficient, unobtrusive and courteous. We must compliment John the Head Waiter whose tireless efforts kept the dining area working flawlessly, and the chef, whose meals arrived with astonishing speed with a quality well above the expected 3 Star standard. Look out for "Imperia" the very laid-back tabby-and-tortoiseshell Resident Cat.

Either of the two seafronts at Sliema can be reached by a 10 minute downhill walk and two buses (63 and 60) pass right by the hotel. If you have trouble walking you would find the uphill return on foot from the main bus stop area at Sliema somewhat daunting, but the Imperial is quiet with no roaring traffic like the hotels down on the front. If it rains in September-October, you'll get terrific thunderstorms or a real deluge, the Sliema waterfront will be 4 or 6 inches deep in places. See Youtube footage of the hotel and rainstorms.

Would we go back - yes. I rate this as a top notch 3 star, ideal for a couple wanting a quiet, relaxed atmosphere.

5  Thank RobSandy
Reviewed 6 October 2008

this hotel was truly a great find, reading previous reviews we were a little apprehensive to say the least, but we were pleasantly
supprised, the entrance hall was like something out of an old film set with marble flooring and two magnificent staircases. we arrived late evening,unpacked our bags after finding our room which overlooked the pool area and a not too distant view of valleta,the room was adequate clean ,.with working air con a bath and shower, also tea and cofee facilities.lovely white clean towells every day and room cleaned. breakfast was good with choices including scrambled egg and beans, or sausages, good range of cereals and toast and jam or the more continental cheese and ham. evening meal very good with two choices for starters and 3/4 choices for main and a choice of desserts. service good with friendly staff. the pool was lovely especially at the end of the day after lots of sightseeing,the busses were an experience, i am sure some of them had square wheels, but they were cheap and reliable, malta is a lovely place to visit especilally out of season when its not too hot, but beware the mozzies. overall an enjoyable stay and may possibly return next year with mother in law and daughter.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anniebelleSuffolk
Reviewed 28 September 2008

One week stay at the Imperial Hotel, Malta, booked through local travel agent using "Sunspot" tour operator for single traveller with walking disability. Accommodation Half-Board flying with Air Malta

I had read the mixed reviews of the Imperial before travelling there and was pleasantly surprised and to be fair the hotel exceeded my expectations. Most of the other comments on here are fair and I guess people's experiences can be summed up as variable. The "gardens" at the hotel as described on its website (www.imperialhotelmalta.com) are in my opinion little more than a courtyard - but pleasant nonetheless; the games room had a few slot machines, a pool table and some gym equipment and the pool area was clean and tidy

My room on the ground floor on the front of the hotel did suffer from road noise - the 1960s-style double glazing, high ceilings and stone floors did nothing to dampen this - and whilst this may affect some guests, it didn't me. The bathroom definitely did need modernising but the shower was enthusiastic, the bathroom (and bedroom) very clean, bug free (apart from one annoying gnat who got me before I got him) and the air conditioning unit quiet and efficient.

There is a rolling program of improvements to the hotel underway and the room next to mine had already had the bathroom modernised (still had the old windows though) but equally another room I visited should have been pushed much higher up the renovation schedule being much poorer in condition than mine. Some of my fellow guests had decided that their rooms could have been better and were relocated without any problems (although obviously this may be more of a problem if the hotel is full).

The breakfasts were limited in scope compared to more luxurious hotels but there was always a choice of cerials and cooked fare (although within those categories the selection was limited). It was possible to switch to food direct from the menu (and therefore paying extra) though I did not see anyone doing this. Evening meals were three course and always with a choice. The menus are varied daily (though I believe repeat on a weekly basis). Only one part of one evening meal did I find not to my satisfaction though I believe this was more due to my palette than the chef. Tap water is safe to drink but has a taste to it (coming generally from a reverse omosis plant where sea water has the salt removed) and it is therefore advisable to drink bottled water. Bottled water is widely available (at varying prices) though can be obtained from the little grocery store a couple of minutes from the hotel

The staff were pleasant, attentive and helpful, most of whom spoke very good English although some found English harder (but that can equally be said of the guests as well). True, they do not offer silver service in the restaraunt but equally, the Imperial is not trying to portray itself as a five-star hotel. Those guests who arrived having paid £150 or so for their holiday (including flights) and were expecting five star luxury were the ones who generally were the ones who had a gripe. It is an older hotel in Malta and should be treated as such.

Evening entertainment laid on by the hotel was gentle and in keeping with the hotel clientelle and ambiance - no noisy late night discos. Instead there were visiting pianists and lounge singers. The music level was good and unobtrusive in other parts of the building.

The location of the hotel is to its benefit and detriment. The road is one of the cut-through routes through Sliema and the road noise and Maltese traffic can be surprising to those expecting a hideaway. That said, the regular bus into Valetta from outside the hotel cost less than half a Euro (an experience in itself riding the Maltese buses - do it before they are all nationalised) and the touristy seafront is about ten minutes in either direction (but you do have the hill to tackle coming back). If you hire a car, the hotel can offer parking spaces (a god-send in Malta as otherwise you will spend half your holiday looking for somewhere to park) - but I suggest you check that one is available for you before you commit to hiring. Disabled access is limited and the hill-top location will be a challenge for some. If need-be of course use of the bus or taxi can get around this problem if you do not have your own hire car.

I was less impressed with the Sunspot tour rep who made several mistakes - providing literature in German rather than in English, giving incorrect directions and more importantly getting the pick-up time substantially wrong at the end of the holiday.

For the flight - Air Malta were without fault. They are a small airline - granted - but not of the budget variety. The on-board food was simple (as a lot of Maltese food generally is) but soft drinks were free, the aircraft clean and the airline staff very helpful.

Overall a very pleasant stay and a great introduction to Malta. The hotel is the oldest on the island (I understand) and built in the Victorian age. The Maltese could be said to have the attitude of not throwing anything away until there really is no more life left in it and this is possibly why some guests may find this hotel not to their modern expectations. I personally found it relaxing, enjoyable and will look at returning there in the future

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo