Imperial Hotel
Sliema Hotel(Sliema)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstudents stayingbus stopclean towelsst julianshotel is situatedbusespositionwaterfrontgozo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2011

historic and atmospheric interior space.wonderfully old fashioned.rooms large and comfortable nice exterior space.all staff pleasent and helpful. meals could be improved with more local produce and proper bread. situation of hotel ideal for the more active traveller.dont expect flashing lights and all mod cons.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank howardford
Reviewed 8 December 2010

People who knock this hotel would probably knock all Malta too.
We visit Malta four times a year and always stay at the Imperial. The staff can not be faulted. The bar staff are a great laugh!
The rooms are basic but very clean, though the beds do sometimes give me a bad back! If you want to see Malta as she truly is then this is the place to stay. I have known the Imperial since the filming of "Shout at the Devil" within the building in the early seventies and just love the place. If you want a characterless corporate hotel with free shampoo and a trouser press then don't stay here.
This hotel is a beautiful (though a bit faded) building with one thing that is very rare in Malta, namely a lovely quiet garden of arches and trees with a small but adequate swimming pool.
Sliema is a busy town with something for everyone. Great swimming, bars and restaurants, and loads of historical buildings.
I stand firmly in support of the Imperial in all her faded glory!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RodgerMore
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Impressive looks, but be warned; the rooms can best be described as filthy and noisy.
Food in restaurant is a laugh.
Useless staff.
Only positive thing is the quiet courtyard where you can enjoy a drink frm the bar.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jmbager
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Arrived Oct 2 2010 Bedroom smelled musty and had twin beds even though I stipulated a double. The said there was no double rooms available even though I booked in January. They said they would try the next day or zip two single mattresses together. Thy did this and it seemed comfortable enough. During the night the two what appeared to be compressors outside our room were turning on and off all night and they were very noisy. At 6:30 in the morning we were awoken by the kitchen staff outside our window shouting at each other and playing the radio loudly. We complained and were offered another room. We accepted the other room but it had twin beds and they said they would zip up again, this time however we got a double mattress but is was so thin and had holes in it that when we laid on it I could feel the hard board underneath the mattress. There was only two sockets in the room so the kettle was boiling right next to the TV which I thought was dangerous. The curtains would not close properly unless we put a chair against them. The wardrobe door had to be wedged shut because it kept swinging open. The shower was one of those that attaches to the taps and you stand in the bath. I am 6ft 2in and this was most uncomfortable as it is only 4ft above the bath and the holder for the shower head was hanging off the wall. The bathroom window looked as though it had been wired shut but when I got it open I found it only had one hinge and would not shut properly, no wonder they wired it shut. If you like a full English breakfast then forget it, Sausage 4 times in 2 weeks and bacon only on a Sunday, beans and scrambled egg every day with cold meat. The hotel is full of mature people of a certain age so it was very quiet with no teenagers however I cannot comment about the rest of the year. Pool area ok. Live entertainment supposed to be 3 times a week was non existent. Good location for visiting the local area. Sea 10 minute walk in 3 directions but when you return to your hotel it is always a 10 minute walk uphill which can be tiring at the end of the day. I appreciate the hotel is 150 years old but the amenities could be vastly updated. I will not be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We were put in a supposedly new renovated room. This was a total lie. The roof was falling, the window curtain was extremely dirty and yellow and leeking. The lamps were yellow as well because they were too dirty. Everything looked like it hasn't been cleaned for the last century. I learned that in fact the hotel contents 2 parts, one that is new and the other that is too old. Be carefull to not be in the old part because this will make your stay horrible. Our room was a smoking one for sure even though we asked for a non smoking. Once again, the guy at the front desk said it was non smoking, which was another lie. The service was ordinary, except one lady at the front desk whom was very nice and professional.

• Stayed: September 2010