“Excellent Value for money for a 3 star hotel”
Review of Plevna Hotel

Plevna Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Hotel Plevna was great value for money. Room was huge and we had a balcony overlooking the ocean (from the side). Everything was clean in the room, adn the showers were standard European bath/shower.
Location was key and only 100m to the beach and poss 200m to sliema creek side. We didn't use the beach club (there are way too many beautiful spots to explore other than a hotel pool!) but i guess this could be good for families. Walk 15 minutes down the promenade to Sliema/St julians and perfect bars/restaurants and cafes can be found. Buses run to everywhere within a 5 minutes walk.
Breakfast was included in our rate which was great - good choice althought didnt try the hot breakfast (except for yummy pancakes with ricotta, honey and fresh banana that I made myself!) We had a big bowl of musili with fresh yoghurt and honey with fresh fruit every morning which was perfect.
Didn't use the bar or restaurant facilities, although I think only people who were on All Inclusive basis would have. (PS. Please don't go all inclusive wherever u stay in Malta, there are too many great, reasonably prices places to eat & drink and how can u travel to a county and not experiance the local dishes?????...)
Nothing to complain about, everything was adequate - this is a 3 star hotel, and a very good one at that especially for European and especially Malta standards. Would not hesitate to recommend.
NOTE: Do not eat at La Dolphin Restaurant in St Julians on top of the hill.....we got severly ripped off as the menu DOES NOT represent what they charge. Worst experiance of time in Malta.
otherwise everything was fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jess2007

Reviewed 6 May 2008

Not luxury this hotel, but not hostel either. I could nit-pick over several small issues (mainly wear and tear), but these would be pretty trivial and not much help if you're wondering about staying at this hotel.

It's generally clean and tidy and the staff seemed friendly enough. My room was very spacious, furnished in pleasing Ikea style pine and all the room facilities worked OK. That's the TV, fridge, kettle, hairdrier and air conditioning. In the bathroom I found that the hot water took a long time to run thru and the shower head was one tug from coming loose from the wall, but luckily it stayed in place. The towels were closer to sandpaper than those on that old ad on the telly for Comfort, but they did the job and were replaced daily. Outside the double window there was a small balcony with table and two chairs, from which you could watch all the nearby builders at work, or contemplate suicide! A big surprise was my bed which was easily the most comfortable of any hotel I have stayed in. Well done the Plevy!

The breakfast was good, a buffet of hot food, continental meats and cheeses, fruit, cereals, bread/toast etc. The fruit juices were as expected like "sex in a boat" (think about it!), but the coffee machine dispensed good stuff. The bar - Le Roy's wasn't much to write home about, but OK for a late drink.

All in all for £8 a head per night B&B - pretty damn good value!

Ntd

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Notthedrapster
Reviewed 5 May 2008

Location is very good: just a 2-minute walk to the beach or the center of Sliema. This is where you want to stay if you're interested in sightseeing.

Public areas are nice, but a bit idiosyncratic. The carpets on the second floor were deeply stained and felt filthy.

The rooms (I've seen two) are small, crowded, and in a poor state of repair. My bed was horrible, the mattress and pillow should have been replaced ages ago. There was hardly room to move around. The bathroom was spacious but very basic amenities, and not particularly clean. Towels and linen were replaced everyday (unless they forget, which happened only once).

Breakfast was bad: a great selection, but *everything* (except the pastizzi) was poor quality.

Wonderful staff, though: extremely friendly and very attentive. Front desk staff was especially nice.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank TravellerJack
Reviewed 4 May 2008

We stayed at the Plevna for a week in the end of April - beginning of May 2008. This is a good time to go to Malta, because the weather is nice and the crowds of tourists aren't all that bad yet.

I agree with many of the previous reviews of Plevna, both the good and the bad ones. If you're expecting a northern-European three-star hotel, you might be disappointed. But if you're tolerant of small imperfections, realize that this is not very expensive accomodation, and decide to make the best of your stay, you'll be fine.

The we had a room with a balcony, which was supposed to be "landside view", but actually we could see quite a large chunk of sea. The hotel is not directly by the waterfront, so this was a positive surprise. The room was cleaned daily and the sheets were changed a couple times during the week. The towels were a bit grayish (probably from the water), but clean and changed daily. One of the beds was comfortable, but the other one was in serious need of replacement, as the springs in the mattress had given up. I guess we could have asked for it to be changed, but decided not to make a fuss about it. The shower had plenty of hot water, but unfortunately the spray was very weak at times, so washing long hair was a challenge. We didn't need air-conditioning or heating, so I don't know how well it would have worked. The walls were made of stone, so we couldn't hear anything from the next room. The door however, was not as sound-proof.

The worst problem we had with the room was that there was a very obvious mold problem in the bathroom. It smelled very strongly at times, and was also visible, but it was bearable as we kept the ventilation window open a lot.

Breakfast was fine, with enough choice for different tastes. Bread, cheese, eggs, bacon, yogurt, fruit, and so on. Some things did run out toward the end of breakfast service, but that's understandable. We didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel, but the menus often looked interesting.

The rooftop terrace has potential, but for now it seems to be just a rooftop with sunchairs. Nice in the evenings, when the sun isn't as strong. The beach club opened a day before we left, so we didn't get to enjoy it much. The elevators were fine, and although they made funny sounds sometimes, I've seen much much worse. The building site outside didn't make as much sound as we feared, except during the last day of the stay. Otherwise the location of the hotel is very good, a couple of blocks away from the busy waterfront but still close to everything.

The staff was always helpful and friendly, no complaints there. I'm not sure if I'd stay at the Plevna again. I wouldn't rule it out completely, because what we got for the price we paid was definitely fair.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zquirrel
Reviewed 22 April 2008

I just recently returned home from a weeks stay at the Plevna with a few friends my girlfriend and brother and we where mainly intersted in the fact its very cheap and all inclusive being a travel agent im usualy privy to info regarding things like building work stuff like that but after a evenings free beer on a BA business class flight and a very late check in I was awakend at 6am by the delightful sounds of a eumatic drill boring into my hungover skull. The room I booked was a double room with a extra bed but was given 2 singles and a pull out bed which in fairness the beds where comfy and the room was very clean with maid service every day for some reason the water in the bathroom stank badly it put me off using the shower for fear of catching cholera the shower always had plenty of hot water but the window right by the shower was loose leaving a big gap that the workmen roughly 10 foot away at the same level can see right in while your in the shower.

The resturant resembled a scene from Dawn of the dead infact they can remake the film there entilted "Dawn of the nearly dead" the place is full of people 70-100 years old im 30 years old and felt increidbly young there and was often regaled delightful tales by some of the ancient residents about there theory on imigrants in the UK ruining the country and how every person below the age of 21 is on drugs which where less than PC I would say. Some of these people have been there for weeks on end 7 weeks was the most I think.

The food was ok bacon was dreadful though with large bits of bone or gristle in I stuck to cornflakes and tea most mornings and lunch evening meals was ok really the soups where great although the bread tasted awful really.

The bar was ok but for some reason they have 2 pumps for beer but 1 type of beer in both diferent pumps which after a day you got used and tasted pretty good the all inclusive option does not include every type of spirit the ones you get free resemble your dads drinks cabinet at home with the dusty bottles of vile spirits brought back from holiday for him that noone dares drink!

The entertainment is terrible although maurice the organist is very comical purly by acident he reminds me of Vic reeves in shooting stars doing his pub singer impresation he really is a sight to behold. We made our own entertainment and played cards all week long.

The lifts are scary they look like they may break at any second and you could plumet to your doom in the rusty old thing. They also have a stench of the sewers that does not leave the back of your throat for ages infact oneday we sat in the bar and the lift closest to the bar sofa every time it opened unleashed a wave of sewer stink that gave me a splitting headache after 20 mins of enduring it.

The roof terrace is falling apart and the furniture is filthy it could look awsome if they painted it and gave it some TLC the beach bar is falling apart there is NO WAY that things has got to the state it is in since last spring I touch the rail going down to it and it nearly crumbled to dust under my finger tips its shocking.

The staff are great they are very friendly and all of them were nice no complaints there. One day my girlfriend acidently walked into the toilet and a old lady was sat on the toilet who had forgot to lock the door (she didnt even seem to react to someone barging in on her like that) when mentioning it to the manager the very next day a carpenter installed a blind system in all the public toilest so that was impressive how they took care of it.

Too sum up this place is very cheap and a good base its not very good if you are under 50 I would say but if you are a older traveler or you really want to experiance what it must have been like on the set of "cocoon" then stay here you will def like it.For me I headed to a week in luxury in Cancun with my girlfriend so I didnt really care but for my brother, friend and his girlfriend they where looking forward to a hotel with atleast the advertised pool (they say apr but as we stayed there 4th of apr it wasnt open and by the looks of it its going to take months to get ready) I feal they where very disapointed.

Enjoy

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank swaite78
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We were booked into the Plevna by an organisation arranging accommodation for runners, as my father ran the Malta Half and six of us travelled as runner and supporters.
If you want a lie-in, don't stay at any hotel in the Tigne Point area of Sliema, as they are affected by building works. We were in room 509 and the cranes and drills started up between 6.30 and 7 each morning! Our air-conditioning did give out heat when required - this didn't work in the two rooms occupied by our parents (we were all on 5th floor).
The rooms were basic, the towels could do with replacement, but they were kept clean by the daily linen changes and the maid service. The beds were extremely comfortable. Lifts are scary, they're supposed to take 5 but I wouldn't!
Breakfast was good, fruit juice seems to have been diluted but food was good quality and plentiful. We didn't have any lunches or dinners, nor did we attend any of the entertainment.
An earlier management response states that the beach club is refurbished each spring - I hope so, as although it was closed when we were there it looked filthy and dangerous.
The hotel offers cheap deals for pensioners, which was evident from the bulk of the guests there, some of whom were in their 8th week. The bus stops aren't that far away to take you to Valetta (about 15 minutes) and beyond - buy a 7 day ticket if you're there for a week - €14 up front but saves a lot of hassle with change.). Sliema Harbour is also not far away to get the ferry to Valetta or pick up a boat cruise or sightseeing bus.
Personally I would not return to the Plevna, but it would be okay if you don't mind early starts and want a budget base from which to explore the island, and are prepared to expect value for money.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank holidaymakers00
Reviewed 20 January 2008

For roughly 25 EUR a night Plevna is a fantastic choice right in the middle of Sliema shopping district. Upon arrival the staff was very helpful, the room was very large and had all the basic stuff: a tiny TV and a hairdryer. Furnishing was rather interesting cottage style. Like in many of the hotels in malta during winter, the room was cold and air-conditioning was not able to heat it up. Brrr.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple