“Friendly, excellent location”
Review of Plevna Hotel

Plevna Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have stayed several times at this hotel, just returned from week with family. Excellent quiet location just off seafront and short walk to ferries and central shopping area of Sliema. Staff very friendly and helpful. Perfect three star...slightly dated but adds to its charm. Full range of breakfasts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marguerite G

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Just back from a lovely 2week holiday in Malta...and a very friendly and pleasant stay at the Plevna. Wasn't sure what to expect as we paid a lower price than perhaps we have paid for other holidays...so maybe our expectations weren't too high, but we were pleasantly surprised. Yes....there is a lot of pine!! And the rooms are a bit dated...but they were very clean..and cleaned well the whole of our stay. We were on an all inclusive basis...breakfast was more than adequate and set us up for the day...plenty to chose from. We had lunch a few times at the beach club...not the full menu on offer...but an adequate choice... and large portions! Charles and staff helpful and friendly and beach club in general was clean and not far from hotel. Evening meals were fine and fairly varied..usually something for everyone. Only complaint would be that that it seemed when the head/main chef was off the food was kind of over cooked/dried out...which was a shame. The bar was well stocked and run by Lise a French exchange student...and the other girls working the bar were also welcoming and friendly.Overall the hotel exceeded our expectations...we couldn't complain for what we paid and it made a pleasant change to have friendly helpful staff that made you feel welcome. Looking forward to staying again soon....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Martine B
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks and it was good. Even though the hotel is small the staff is very friendly and helpful. Ladies on the reception always answered our questions about trips and locations of different places of interest. We really enjoyed the food and thank the chief very much)) The manager of the hotel and other workers were very caring and always asked us about our well being and tried to solve the problems if they appeared. We liked the opprtunity to use free wifi in the comfortables areas on two floors with couches and small tables. The hotel also has a special conference room and a room with drinks such as hot tea and coffee. It was interesting to have lunch in the cafe with the outside with the view on the sea. The beach was in 5 minutes walk from the hotel as well as the biggest supermarket and shopping center "The Point". We also liked that the bus station and the ferry o other cities were very close. All in all we enjoyed our stay and thank the staff for providing a good service))

Room Tip: This is a good hotel for the low price. The staff is friendly, the beach and transport stations are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dasha B
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Although I have been to Malta many times, this was my first stay at the Plevna. My first impression on arrival was it looks dingy and dated. The hotel a little off the main strip so was quiet. My room was close to a lift but not too much problem with noise eventhough there were school parties there at same time as me. The room had stained pine everywhere and one wall light, which had a bulb too large. The room also had twin beds and safe. The aircon didn't work but I was not bothered. My stay was on a B & B basis and the breakfast was pretty good even if it was the same for the 10 days I was there. The staff and cleanliness were also good. I would suggest this hotel for people on a budget - you get what you pay for and don't expect too much. I think I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bernard H
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I just spent 3 nights at Hotel Plevna in early July. Overall the Hotel and rooms are quite dated but it is very clean and the staff are very friendly and smiley. For the money we paid I wasn't expecting too much and think I would have been disappointed if I had been paying a high rate to stay here. Had a few problems, shower didn't work one day and water from the bathroom above started to drip into my bathroom - but when reporting to the staff someone quickly came to look and sort out the problem. My room was located above the reception so did experience some noise, mainly as there was a large group of young 20 somethings in the Hotel who had very loud voices... If you are looking for somewhere cheap, in a great location, for a few nights than it is probably a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chezzabear
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

We spent a week at the hotel. Leaving on the 14th June. I have to say the first room was absolutely awful but was relocated. This was our second visit and we chose all-inclusive. As in my previous review the hotel is tired, but may I say the staff is brilliant.... we found that the food was very good and better than last year. I cannot understand the differences people pay for their accommodation but I would suggest again that people google rather than pay the extortionate prices I was told had been paid by other guests to travel agents. If you want cheap hotel... good food, poor bar, good nights sleep (yes I was located right next to a lift) and we had no problem, good location for transport, beach club a couple of minutes walk, excellent staff.
We had a great holiday, excellent value for money for what we paid but totally understand why people get disgruntled, but I think it is the fault of the greedy travel agents and not the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank crisken61
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Spent over a week in this hotel. Not my first visit but probably the last. Booked months in advance and specifically asked for a room away from any lifts. Was given a room right opposite a lift. Sleepless nights followed as guests gathered waiting for the lift to arrive and talked loudly well into the early hours of the morning. Obviously any comments made during the booking process are completely ignored.

Here's what I can say about the Plevna. If you're not bothered by noise and don't expect a really good breakfast then the hotel is fine, especially its location. But if you expect a good night's sleep and all windows to close properly then look elsewhere. What really is annoying is that some rooms seem to have been refurbished but the quality of the work is appalling. Our bathroom window would not close and opening it could have resulted in the window falling to the floor possibly causing physical injuries. The metal rings which make curtains slide on the rail came off making it hard to open and close them.

Any person who is sensitive about removing their cap in public should not enter the restaurant because you will be asked to remove it.

Good luck to whoever stays at the Plevna.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lifts. Check pillow cases for cleanliness. Check that the bedsheets are regul...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple