“Excellent value hotel”
Review of Plevna Hotel

Plevna Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I spent the month of November 2013 at the Plevna. Out of several hotels I had previously stayed at in Malta (5-star, 4-star & 3-star), it proved to be by far the best in most aspects. The hotel is a few metres from the seafront, and has its own beach. It is conveniently located near Tigne Point, Malta's newest and largest shopping mall. It is also within easy reach of Valletta; bus or ferry.

The hotel is reasonably priced; excellent English/continental breakfast, TV, fridge and internet + WiFi - all at no extra cost. Management & staff were cheerful & helpful. I asked several locals in the hospitality business about the hotel, all of whom confirmed that it had a good reputation.
AG Formosa, London

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank ALAN F

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Nice cozy rooms, with suitable amenities. Good enough place for the price. Almost at sea front, n just 5 mins walk to the great shopping area of Sliema. Best thing was the proximity of an HSBC ATM which could easily convert my US $ into euro at any time of the day or night :) Being a vegetarian, I guess I should skip about commenting on the restaurant in Plevna. Seemed just like any other B&B that I've been to in Scotland and Europe previously. Though my stay was good, heard a cpl of guests hollering about showers not working etc etc etc ;) Overall, a good place and lovely location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Amit S
Maryse A, Director of Sales at Plevna Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for your comments and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would just like to reassure you that any small problems with the showers in a couple of our rooms have now been resolved,

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Had a great time in Malta staying at the Plevna hotel. Food was great and this was the first time we had ever gone all inclusive. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff we met and we will certainly stay here again. Thanks

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We have just spent a very happy 4 weeks in November and once again enjoyed every aspect of the Plevna Hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly - we had fun with a bit of teasing with Charles - also it was great to meet Darren for the first time and see how Norvic had grown!! Our Maid, Valerie, was excellent - we had known her from our last visit nearly 5 years ago, and we gave each other books to read. All the staff without exception were extremely good and very approachable. The Plevna Hotel is situated in a good position, just a few minutes walk away from the Sliema Ferries coast, and also a few minutes walk away from what we called "The Preluna" coast. Walking back from the Ferries side there are 2 fairly steepish roads to climb - they did not seem to be so steep 5 years ago!! There is only 1 slight hill to walk back up to the hotel from the other coast. We were alarmed to read and hear of the Maltese Government's plans to allow hotels to build a further 2 floors on top of 3* hotels and 4 floors on 5* hotels. Malta is now very overcrowded since we first visited way back in the 1990s and there are many many more vehicles on the roads - parked cars on both sides of all roads, and with the new Arriva green buses attempting to pass each other in the middle of the narrow roads, journeys can be quite an experience. The Airport has been enlarged and copes very well with the influx of tourists from Libya, Russia, Poland and all the other Eastern European countries as well as Italy, Germany, France and the UK. We both feel that Malta is now being swallowed up by change especially since joining the EU and is fast loosing its own personality.
We still hope to return. We always enjoyed visiting Valletta and walking around the streets and going into the Upper and Lower Barracca Gardens - what fantastic views of the Grand Harbour. Also a great view of the harbour is from Senglea Point - not to be missed.

2  Thank Ruth M
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The staff are the 'jewel of the crown' in this hotel, nothing is too much trouble. They make you feel very special, they are so helpful and friendly.There is obviously a good team rapport amongst them. Charles looked after us extremely well being polite, friendly and helpful, he always showed an interest in all his guests and it was obvious all the guests liked him. Darren was equally pleasant and helpful - all the staff including the Chef and Bar staff were wonderful.
The food is excellent, lots of choice and very freshly prepared. I noticed that for many of the guests it was not their first visit to the hotel and I could see why they would return again.
The location is perfect, close to the seafront and with easy access to other parts of the island.
I have already recommended this hotel to relatives and friends!

1  Thank 70TAS
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed in Hotel Plevna, room 112 from 23rd to 25th November. Hotel is located just a minutes walk from Sliemas Promenade, bus stop (X2 from airport and busses to Valletta), restaurants, shopping centre etc. It is located half way up the side street across from the bus stop.
Nice bright lobby with the reception, lounge area with soft furnishings and free of charge Wi-Fi, also books available.
We were greeted by Sandra who we saw at the reception all the weekend, a very nice, polite and helpful lady, checked us in smoothly and told us about the breakfast times, also asked if we had an early start on Monday morning and would like our breakfast pre-packed. I also had 2 requests after we saw the suite we had booked. One of them was fulfilled on our return to the hotel later that night. Other is not worth mentioning as I am sure hotel knows about the problem we mentioned and since it didn't affect our stay, I will not rate the hotel lower for that.
We also got offered a map and Sandra tried to inquire if the boat to Blue Grotto was running for us. A real gem of a person, brilliant asset to the hotel.
Our chamber maid was Valerie, who tidied our room up immaculately and left us a very pleasant note. It was a really nice surprise to find our room fresh, with all the teas and coffees replenished and clean towels in the bathroom. Nice job! Thank you!
We had a lovely nights sleep in our huge room with a stone balcony, bed and pillows were really comfy and although I was apprehensive if the thin bed sheets will do the job to keep us warm, they did, even on one of the chillier nights.
Breakfast was standard, hot English style with choices of mini hotdogs, bacon, tomatoes, baked beans and scrambled eggs. Also cold cuts of ham, cheese, sausage and fresh tomatoes, salad and cucumber available, some cereals, bread and rolls, jam and fresh fruit. Fresh pastries however, disappointed me. My advice would be to just put them in the basket and cover up like you do with the bread rolls, hot plate (the one with the jelly candle underneath a tray filled with hot water) is most unsuitable for them. Trust me, I have a lot experience in food and beverage and catering ;) It turns your croissants into a soggy piece of pastry and after that- in a rock hard piece of dough. Also, please do something about the rest of the containers you keep the hot food in- they're plastic, have no hinges on lids, so we burnt ourselves every time we opened the lid and its awkward to pick them up and set aside on top of the next one to put some food on the plate. Also juices are very poor quality, from concentrate and way too sweet. Other than that, we were very happy and the coffee was excellent. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone not too fussy, who just wants a decent sleep and food and to get around from and to easily. Biggest asset to the hotel are their staff and the hospitality they absolutely provide to each and every single person. We will be back next year and already looking forward to it!

1  Thank Ajive
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the hotel in October and I had a lovely stay there. The room was a small but clean one, cosy and quiet overlooking a small quiet street. I liked all the facilities at the hotel and the helpful and friendly staff. The complementary tea and coffee provided in the hotel room and the tea- coffee- making facilities were very pleasant surprise for me :).
Buffet breakfasts were rich and the foods fresh, well selected, tasty and the athmosphere there was so special - warm and friendly. Smiley and positive staff greeted me each morning and really gave me the positive start of each particular day.
Thank you for your warm welcoming me there!

Room Tip: I am sorry I can't assess the fitness and spa as I haven't use them if any.