“The lowest review I've ever given and it was well deserved” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plevna Hotel

Plevna Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Melbourne
“The lowest review I've ever given and it was well deserved”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I had high expectation for this hotel; I'm usually a budget traveller so this was an extravagance for me. This was the worst stay I have ever had at a hotel. I can talk about the positives: the restaurant staff (especially Charles) were wonderful, the food was fine (although I ended up eating in town as Malta is very affordable for dining out), the room was spacious, and the location was great. None of this made up for the fact I didn't have a single decent night's sleep in four days. I'd read about the schoolchildren in other reviews but I had no idea how disruptive they would be. Every night after dinner they took over the lounge, sprawled on every available service, making a tremendous amount of noise. There was no free internet in the rooms and the lounge was one place where you could access the fee wifi. But that wasn't the worst part, the noise continued well into the night. The first night I let it go and they finally stopped yelling, laughing and running down the corridors around 11pm. The second night they were still going at midnight and I called reception. They stopped half an hour later. The third night I again let it go and they stopped around 11pm. My final night I had an early flight the next morning and called to complain around 10pm. They stopped half an hour later. The noise was comparable to being above a bar or nightclub and is not what I'd expect from a nice hotel. I've stayed in backpackers that wouldn't tolerate this. I was disgusted and furious at having my holiday so disrupted. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here if they value sleep and quiet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank spyndleshanks
Maryse A, Director of Sales at Plevna Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you liked our restaurant staff as well our our food and also that you were happy with your room and our hotel's location. In future we shall be doing our very best to ensure that our younger guests do not cause a disturbance to older guests

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pewsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Wasted my money by going all inclusive the food was very average and so most of the time I ate out of the hotel, breakfast was reasonable as it was self service but lunch and dinner was waiter served, the choice being very limited and uninspiring.
The bar was supposed to be open from 12 till 2 but never was, when I enquired at reception was curtly told "opens at 6!". The barman (when it was open, was a very young frenchman who knew nothing about how to serve beer (he served me half beer/half froth in a glass on two occasions, I gave him a round of applause when he eventually managed to have more beer than froth in a glass). I was totally gobsmacked when I was waiting for my taxi to go back to the airport the receptionist presented me with a bar bill, I explained I was all inclusive but then was told the beer I drank was Cisk and not their own local beer (which in itself is funny because surely everywhere in Malta is local considering the size of the island) I was not told about any other beers being available throughout my week long stay and there were no notices informing me of this they eventually waived the extra cost.
Apart from the above have to say the hotel was always clean, the staff were always polite (but not really friendly) the two lounge areas one near reception and one on the 1st floor were comfortable enough. The hotel is in a great location but seriously needs updating. The pool area (away from the hotel) was not opened when I was there. Would I go back? Certainly not!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alwilt
Maryse A, Director of Sales at Plevna Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are happy to hear that the hotel and its location were to your liking. On the other hand we are sorry to hear that our All Inclusive package was not to your expectations.The bar is always open between 1200 and 1400 and then again at 1800 as per our package. Meals are sometimes buffet and sometimes waiter service depending on number of guests in the hotel, however there is always a varied choice and rotation of menus. The barman was a young trainee who had just started on his own and he is now being retrained. If you would like to elaborate further, we invite you to write to us on admin@roosendaal.com.mt and we sincerely hope you will give us another chance.
East Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much at Plevna. We were given one of the newly refurbished rooms on the 5th floor and could not fault it.
I can understand some of the comments made by other travellers about the noisy Italian schoolchildren - they do rather take over the communal space, but luckily the hotel recognises the problem and the children have separate dining facilities so you do have a quiet dining experience.
I guess that the hotel cannot afford to turn away business and they try to keep the children under control but it must be difficult.
The staff are very attentive and polite.
The breakfasts were very good with great variety and choice. They will even cook your eggs the way you like them!
We had a late flight home and were able to pay 20 euros to have a room until 7pm. which was great. Our room was already booked so we had to move to another one for the day. We had an unrenovated room which although it was very clean was shabby. I do not know if the unrenovated rooms are cheaper, perhaps they should be, It might be worth asking.
If we plan to go back to Malta in the future we will certainly stay at the Plevna again.

Room Tip: The higher floors are the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMMS
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have just returned from my third stay at the Plevna Hotel. Once again I had a comfortable, well equipped room. The Staff were friendly and welcoming as usual. Breakfast was excellent, and they even left me an early breakfast in my room the night before I departed, as I had mentioned I was leaving at 5am. I didn't even have to ask for it - that is what I call service!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the Lift, as on the top floor this can be a bit...
2 Thank SarnianVoyager
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

As a solo traveller I paid slightly extra for a double room thus avoiding cramped conditions and narrow bed, and a duvet ensured warmth at night. Small fridge a nice touch. The room was not cleaned on the first day but fine after that. The bathroom was superficially clean but a good dose of bleach on mould would have improved it.

Breakfast was good for the price, only ate there in evening once and there was more quantity than quality.

The location with access to seafront and waterfront was good, but if you go to swim be aware pool is not in hotel itself.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

However hotel had crowds of Italian scholars/students monopolising all public places and blocking entrance whilst they smoked outside. I appreciate the need for income but they totally spoiled the ambience of the hotel. Unable to use TV lounge owing to their presence and only news channels in room.

1 Thank JanN120
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from this hotel. Staff were extremely helpful and pleasant especially Akash who was very polite and always there to help. Room cleaned every day. Lovely breakfast lots to choose from. Bar was open for 2 hrs lunchtime. If you don't want lunch they will do a packed lunch for you. Food choice was limited for lunch and dinner but nonetheless very very delicious and if you wanted more you just ask. We were all inclusive and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. You would pay a premium for waiter service which is what we received people don't seem to realise that. Breakfast is buffet style however. Central to everything would visit again

Stayed March 2014
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed at Hotel Plevna, as B and B guest's as unable to stay with family due to lack of space. Hotel is very clean and comfortable, breakfast was perfectly adequate with plenty of choice, hot, cold, "diets". Help yourself to anything you like. Plenty to choose from. You can't find anything, you're in the wrong hotel. Our room, clean, tidy, well looked after by very helpful staff. Poor girls working "The Holiday", but they still looked happy. Guests even had a token gift of a chocolate on The Big Day, brought to the room personally, not looking for a tip as in so many places. A "Thank You and Merry Christmas" was all that was needed. Bar hours short but didn't worry us as out all day and night. Would definitely stay again. All staff looked after us very well, when I am sure they had families of their own to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for room above main entrance. Good size, two window doors as on corner, but not noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends