“Horrible stay”

Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Horrible stay”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed in Plevna for one night. Fortunately we did not book more nights in this hotel. Large group of Italian school children running and shouting around. This was very disturbing and the hotel staff did nothing to keep them quiet. After checking into our room we immediately requested for another room because of the noise, however we were told that that was not possible. As a result we did not sleep at all: pupils screaming and running up and down the stairs right in front of our room. I called the reception and was truly shocked when the guy told me there was nothing he could do and that we had to wait for them to be checked out. Unbelievable. This hotel is not even worth a one-star rating.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NATLHW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

stayed at the Plevna over Easter this year. Lets look at the good points first; good location for us, as we love Sliema and surrounding area. we had a room on the third floor, it was small but keep clean and was adequate. The staff were lovely and couldn't be faulted. There was always plenty of choice for breakfast, being out of season the pool area across the road was closed but that wasn't a problem. It has a nice sunbathing area on the roof with good views and was generally quiet on our visit.
Now the negatives, we arrived late, only 15 mins to the restaurant closing. The person in charge made us very welcome and we placed our order. Unfortunately what was served leaved a lot to be desired, and believe me we are not fussy eaters. I was prepared to put it down to being at the end of the evening, although possibly sandwiches would have been better. We mentioned it to the holiday rep the following morning, and she asked us if we would like to change our board basis, and we decided yes. This transformed our holiday as one of the restaurants she suggested we tried, was superb. I'm reluctant to mention it as we want to go there again, again!!!
Another problem we encountered which others have mentioned is the students. Don't get me wrong, at their age away from home, I would most likely have been the same, but I feel older people on holiday don't want the noise in the early hours like we had on two nights. This seems to be a growing trend with hotels in Malta. I understand the need for hotels to use whatever means to fill rooms, but i cant help thinking that this will put older people off visiting them, I will be tempted to contact hotels in the future to see if any large groups of students are booked in for certain dates, so I can avoid them.
The first 2 mornings of our visit, breakfast was served in a small room off the main restaurant, but this became over crowded quickly. The third morning they opened the main restaurant which was much better with more room. When we commented that it was much better, it was stated they had tried to separate the older guests from the students initially.
Would I go back to the Plevna ? if I could be guaranteed there wouldn't be any students the answer would be a yes, as the location is good and it is mostly quiet we found, apart from the noisey students in the early hours, I think the teachers who accompany them probably give up on the last night and let them do as they want.

Room Tip: away from student accommodation
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Maryse A, Director of Sales at Plevna Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room and our breakfast and friendly staff. On the other hand we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our dinner on your arrival. We have taken steps to improve our meals and in fact we now have a new chef and we shall be ensuring that younger guests do not cause a disruption for older guests.
bournemouth
Reviewed 18 May 2014

this was a return visit from 4 years ago;Nice hotel; great staff; good situation. BUT taken over by about 100 unruly noisy students, this seems to be a weekly event who occupy the lounges in the evening;and emit a lot of noise when in the hotel.The supervision is almost non existant. They dine at separate times to other guests which is good. We had a nice room, but it is ready for refurnishment on the 5th floor Food not as good as our first visit, when it was buffet in the evening, now the starter; soup and sweets are collected from another room, and main course and pasta are ordered and served in the dining room.This has not been thought through as there is more meat/fish etc than required and unfortunately only small portions of veg whereas buffet gives one chance to only have what one requires, and no waste.;. Breakfast is buffet and served in another dining room
I would like to say Thank you to Sandra and all her staff in reception, and to the girls who serviced our room.Nothing was too much trouble. The waiting staff are also very good, and every one very polite.
Whilst I fully appreciate the students give business all the year round,I felt it was at the expense of the tourists, who have nowhere other than bedroom to sit in in the evening, as it really is a take over bid by the students.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room on the 5th floor with balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I had high expectation for this hotel; I'm usually a budget traveller so this was an extravagance for me. This was the worst stay I have ever had at a hotel. I can talk about the positives: the restaurant staff (especially Charles) were wonderful, the food was fine (although I ended up eating in town as Malta is very affordable for dining out), the room was spacious, and the location was great. None of this made up for the fact I didn't have a single decent night's sleep in four days. I'd read about the schoolchildren in other reviews but I had no idea how disruptive they would be. Every night after dinner they took over the lounge, sprawled on every available service, making a tremendous amount of noise. There was no free internet in the rooms and the lounge was one place where you could access the fee wifi. But that wasn't the worst part, the noise continued well into the night. The first night I let it go and they finally stopped yelling, laughing and running down the corridors around 11pm. The second night they were still going at midnight and I called reception. They stopped half an hour later. The third night I again let it go and they stopped around 11pm. My final night I had an early flight the next morning and called to complain around 10pm. They stopped half an hour later. The noise was comparable to being above a bar or nightclub and is not what I'd expect from a nice hotel. I've stayed in backpackers that wouldn't tolerate this. I was disgusted and furious at having my holiday so disrupted. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here if they value sleep and quiet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank spyndleshanks
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you liked our restaurant staff as well our our food and also that you were happy with your room and our hotel's location. In future we shall be doing our very best to ensure that our younger guests do not cause a disturbance to older guests

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Pewsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Wasted my money by going all inclusive the food was very average and so most of the time I ate out of the hotel, breakfast was reasonable as it was self service but lunch and dinner was waiter served, the choice being very limited and uninspiring.
The bar was supposed to be open from 12 till 2 but never was, when I enquired at reception was curtly told "opens at 6!". The barman (when it was open, was a very young frenchman who knew nothing about how to serve beer (he served me half beer/half froth in a glass on two occasions, I gave him a round of applause when he eventually managed to have more beer than froth in a glass). I was totally gobsmacked when I was waiting for my taxi to go back to the airport the receptionist presented me with a bar bill, I explained I was all inclusive but then was told the beer I drank was Cisk and not their own local beer (which in itself is funny because surely everywhere in Malta is local considering the size of the island) I was not told about any other beers being available throughout my week long stay and there were no notices informing me of this they eventually waived the extra cost.
Apart from the above have to say the hotel was always clean, the staff were always polite (but not really friendly) the two lounge areas one near reception and one on the 1st floor were comfortable enough. The hotel is in a great location but seriously needs updating. The pool area (away from the hotel) was not opened when I was there. Would I go back? Certainly not!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alwilt
Maryse A, Director of Sales at Plevna Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are happy to hear that the hotel and its location were to your liking. On the other hand we are sorry to hear that our All Inclusive package was not to your expectations.The bar is always open between 1200 and 1400 and then again at 1800 as per our package. Meals are sometimes buffet and sometimes waiter service depending on number of guests in the hotel, however there is always a varied choice and rotation of menus. The barman was a young trainee who had just started on his own and he is now being retrained. If you would like to elaborate further, we invite you to write to us on admin@roosendaal.com.mt and we sincerely hope you will give us another chance.
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much at Plevna. We were given one of the newly refurbished rooms on the 5th floor and could not fault it.
I can understand some of the comments made by other travellers about the noisy Italian schoolchildren - they do rather take over the communal space, but luckily the hotel recognises the problem and the children have separate dining facilities so you do have a quiet dining experience.
I guess that the hotel cannot afford to turn away business and they try to keep the children under control but it must be difficult.
The staff are very attentive and polite.
The breakfasts were very good with great variety and choice. They will even cook your eggs the way you like them!
We had a late flight home and were able to pay 20 euros to have a room until 7pm. which was great. Our room was already booked so we had to move to another one for the day. We had an unrenovated room which although it was very clean was shabby. I do not know if the unrenovated rooms are cheaper, perhaps they should be, It might be worth asking.
If we plan to go back to Malta in the future we will certainly stay at the Plevna again.

Room Tip: The higher floors are the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMMS
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have just returned from my third stay at the Plevna Hotel. Once again I had a comfortable, well equipped room. The Staff were friendly and welcoming as usual. Breakfast was excellent, and they even left me an early breakfast in my room the night before I departed, as I had mentioned I was leaving at 5am. I didn't even have to ask for it - that is what I call service!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the Lift, as on the top floor this can be a bit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo